Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Deck Building Theory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Webb
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
So I lurk here quite a bit (I know, I look like a villain target) and I find it hard to get started on creating my own decks and I've noticed recently that a lot of people have been posting their new ideas for new decks (which is great). I'm hoping to start up a thread where more experienced creators can leave things that they've learned through building and refining their decks to help those of us just getting started.

This is more for general tips and helping us get off to a good start once we have an idea of what we want to do.

I'll start off with something a couple of things I've noticed.

Damage values can be categorized (generally speaking). It's easier to categorize them at the start of a match and damage dealt by villains and damage dealt by heroes are not considered equal (Villains do more damage than an individual hero generally). This also means that damage reduction on heroes is balanced differently than damage reduction on villains.

1 Damage is (in all cases) low damage and if not repeated frequently is mostly mostly negligable. This damage is what is repeated most often and as such tends to have better synergy with bonus damage and is hurt more by damage reduction. Also frequently seen done to All (x)-targets.
2 Damage is moderately Low damage and happens often, but not usually more than once per turn on heroes. This is pretty much the 'go to' default damage when a villain needs to do something that hurts heroes, but not destroy things. For heroes this is a good starting point if you want a damage dealing hero.
3 Damage is moderately high. Villains do this pretty often early on in matches and heroes usually need some build up cards to do this repeatedly (some exceptions apply i.e. Young Legacy)
4 damage is High damage when done from a single hero to a villain. It's a frequently seen number when a villain is hitting only 1 to 2 heroes though. 4 damage should only come from a hero if it's a one-shot and/or the hero team has 2+ cards building up damage.
5+ damage is very high damage. Villains that do this only do so via 1 shots or are VERY well built up (Iron Legs with both 'galvanized's does this pretty often, but that's a lost cause right there). Villains who do this much damage often tend to be exceptionally difficult. Heroes can vary wildly on this value in a given turn. However, most heroes focused on damage dealing do somewhere between 9-13 damage per turn, fully built up, to a single target.

As a result of the above, we can come to an understanding of damage reduction too. I'll post on this later.

Also, I make no claims to being all knowing. If my ideas are off, feel free to correct me! Let's get this party rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Brown
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's another thread in the backlog that has some good advice from Phantaskippy and tosx, among others. I'm gonna see if I can find it and bump it back up.

I don't want to discourage anyone with this advice, but it's been a little bit of a sticking point to me recently: Consider taking it slow. One pattern I'm tending to see a lot more often, but not entirely isolated to now, is users who come by, drop a large number of characters, and then either just keep posting more without iterating on their original ideas or just frankly disappear.

There's a consistent pattern I see with the designers around here that I have a lot of respect for (tosx, Phantaskippy, and Adelphophage are the first that come to mind) is that they will focus on designing one thing, get it to a fairly solid state, and then move onto their next idea when they're really happy with what they have; in many cases, this iteration happens long before anyone else sees the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rosgath wrote:
So I lurk here quite a bit (I know, I look like a villain target)

Woot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.