Subject: 1st Round New Viking phase in the Short Solo Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffery Hunt
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the short solo game, should I be taking both Vikings? The rules say to begin taking 2 Vikings in round 2 but if I only take 1 in round 1 then there is a Viking left over. I think the answer, which was left out of the rulebook, is to simply take both Vikings, but I gave up and played a long one instead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the intent is indeed to take 2 Vikings at the start of the short solo game from space 1.

I think the text in "Course of a Round" just describes general game play rather than specifying each step. In particular, it is talking about round 2, and does not describe the start of round 1 at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You play the first round with 7 vikings in the short game. This applies to both the solo and the multiplayer game.
At setup, place 6 vikings on your Thing square and you will get the 7th viking when the round beginns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
You play the first round with 7 vikings in the short game. This applies to both the solo and the multiplayer game.
At setup, place 6 vikings on your Thing square and you will get the 7th viking when the round beginns.

Does this mean the "Place 1 Vikings (2 Vikings in the short game) of one color (here: red) on round space 1..." is a misprint?

*edit* This is on page 23, for reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
nan3000 wrote:

Does this mean the "Place 1 Vikings (2 Vikings in the short game) of one color (here: red) on round space 1..." is a misprint?

Looking at the rules, it seems to me the following is correct for the solo short game (where red is the first colour and blue the second colour Vikings):
- you take 5 Red Vikings and put them in Thing Square
- you take 6 Blue Vikings and put them in the waiting space
- you place alternating 2 Red and 2 Blue Vikings on the Banquet Hall spaces
- you remove one Red Viking from the game.

So, in the first round you start with 5 + 2 Red Vikings, in the second round you get 6 + 2 Blue Vikings etc, increasing by one Viking each round up to 12 in the final round.

So in the quote above, it is correct that you start with 7 Vikings in the first round, but incorrect that six are from Thing Square and one from the Banquet Hall. In fact, you start with five and get two from the Banquet Hall.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
barnetto wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
nan3000 wrote:

Looking at the rules, it seems to me the following is correct for the solo short game (where red is the first colour and blue the second colour Vikings):
- you take 5 Red Vikings and put them in Thing Square
- you take 6 Blue Vikings and put them in the waiting space
- you place alternating 2 Red and 2 Blue Vikings on the Banquet Hall spaces
- you remove one Red Viking from the game.

So, in the first round you start with 5 + 2 Red Vikings, in the second round you get 6 + 2 Blue Vikings etc, increasing by one Viking each round up to 12 in the final round.

So in the quote above, it is correct that you start with 7 Vikings in the first round, but incorrect that six are from Thing Square and one from the Banquet Hall. In fact, you start with five and get two from the Banquet Hall.)

Maybe so, but I hesitate to argue with Frank Heeren since he helped make the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I hesitated alright.... I double and triple checked the rulebook...

Frank's second statement is correct for the multiplayer short game, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The important thing is that you play the first round with 7 vikings, the second with 8, and so on...( both in the solo game as well as in the multiplayer game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.