Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously they're still around but I guess my question is this: Has anyone else noticed that the overall quality of Queen releases has been severely lacking in the last few years? A few of my favorite games were a result of the publisher ( Amerigo, Lancaster, Shogun to name a few) but pretty much everything since 2013 hasn't been too memorable. While this may be a subjective topic, I do believe the overall quality control has gone way down. Looking at their offerings for this year's Spiel, I feel even more confident in my opinion. Moreover, I've read numerous stories of their poor customer service as of late.

Am I crazy? Does anyone else feel this way? Does anyone else have some nostalgia for the company?

Edit: Aww, I was moved to the Queen games forum! Nobody posts here! Seemed better for "General!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting that this shift seemed to occur around the time that they started relying on Kickstsrter to fund their new releases. A lot of people thought it was tasteless for a big publisher to use Kickstsrter as a pre-order system. Maybe that is indicative of their changing attitude towards their business. Or maybe hey just haven't been presented with anything great in awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
Or maybe hey just haven't been presented with anything great in awhile.

Which could be because for one reason or another they aren't as attractive to designers as some of their competition.

Escape was the last game of theirs that was worthwhile for me. Lancaster and Alhambra were notable earlier games. But in all three cases, over-expanded (in fact the only expansions to any of those I have I don't use).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
mjacobsca wrote:
It's interesting that this shift seemed to occur around the time that they started relying on Kickstsrter to fund their new releases. A lot of people thought it was tasteless for a big publisher to use Kickstsrter as a pre-order system. Maybe that is indicative of their changing attitude towards their business. Or maybe hey just haven't been presented with anything great in awhile.

Maybe designers have been warned off by some horror stories from other designers. This would probably be a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:

Escape was the last game of theirs that was worthwhile for me.

True for me as well - also, I don't like to see larger companies to use kickstarter and after all the kickstarter for Escape was a mess at least for me. I got the three copies I ordered late, had two expansions missing in the delivery and the "Indiana Jones style" back was a joke (mine was purple)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think recently they are just focusing more on lighter games with more mass appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Dearlove wrote:

Which could be because for one reason or another they aren't as attractive to designers as some of their competition.

There have been multiple reports of them not paying designers on time and in full in recent years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are one of the worst companies on the planet for customer service, and as such many people just don't bother buying from them any more. Just look at this Queen Games forum. Almost every thread is either somebody complaining about their crappy products missing parts of their crappy customer service, then the other threads are fanboys saying the customer service is great, to try to counteract the other threads. It's obviously a big shitstorm. Best to just avoid this company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
They are one of the worst companies on the planet for customer service

I had a single issue with a Queen Games game, which was a missing rulebook for a traded copy of Fresco.
They were so kind to send me copy from the Big Box.

Very quick, no problems, nice contact.

Maybe I was lucky...but for now I have no negative thoughts about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
people thought it was tasteless for a big publisher to use Kickstsrter as a pre-order system.

Newsflash: Queen Games isn't a big publisher. They consists of less than 10 peeps. Same with AEG.

FFG is a big publisher. Their employees count among the hundreds. Asmodee is a big publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
mjacobsca wrote:
people thought it was tasteless for a big publisher to use Kickstsrter as a pre-order system.

Newsflash: Queen Games isn't a big publisher. They consists of less than 10 peeps. Same with AEG.

FFG is a big publisher. Their employees count among the hundreds. Asmodee is a big publisher.

10 employees is 10 times as large as a lot of other publishers. It's all relative in the board game space. And not always measured by number of employees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
attilathejund wrote:
Does anyone else feel this way? Does anyone else have some nostalgia for the company?

I do. It started back in the days with Alhambra which I recently discovered. And I think although it isn't a new design, it is still a great game. After that came Revolte in Rom/Arena, probably an underrated game because we liked it a lot and still play it today. We have even purchased Arena II. I recently brought Architekton back to the table and it is a neat two player game. I have many more Queen games in my collection, Kingdom Builder is another noteworthy game among these. However, I also feel like Escape was the last hit that catered my taste. Queen's Architect was OK. The current line-up has a very different art style, that is the main reason for me to skip these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
mjacobsca wrote:

Perhaps I should have said "established publisher". But come on, Queen games is one of the longest-running publishers out there. I think you can extrapolate my point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
mjacobsca wrote:

Queen is absolutely a big publisher. Just because FFG is bigger (if not biggest) doesn't invalidate that.

And yeah, they're awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Queen Games has never disappointed me. Then again, I don't buy their games on Kickstarter...

Pete (supposes maybe that's the real issue?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Briarcliff Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had almost universally good service with Queen Games.

Unfortunately, the exception is their failure to deliver my prize from the Dark Darker Darkest BGG contest (and the Kickstarter extras I then paid for to round out the package).

That was the summer of 2013. I go back and forth with them from time to time, but nothing ever seems to come of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can add to that my only experience with Queen Games (albeit, only one) was very good. I even admitted to losing all the pieces myself, and they still sent me replacements without questions.

But I don't back their Kickstarters (in reality, I back only stuff that I want to donate money to; I don't expect much back).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ERIC DEFILIPPO

Jacksonville (Arlington)
Florida
msg tools
mbmb
How did you contact them. I have been emailing them for months in regards to fixing a misprint on one of their games and I have not received any reply's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Briarcliff Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Franknbeans wrote:
How did you contact them. I have been emailing them for months in regards to fixing a misprint on one of their games and I have not received any reply's.

Every time I've had success contacting them, it's been like this: I wait for them to start a new Kickstarter, back the game, then send them a message through the KS messaging system.

Maybe it's because they rely on Kickstarter so much, but they always tend to respond pretty quickly versus when I email (which has yet to see any response at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.