Subject: Side choosing - which way is fairer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sy CHAN
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
NA
flag msg tools
I am going to organize a mini competition with 7 wonders. However, I am not a experienced gamer, and I want to ask for some opinion on rule for side-choosing. The competition is going to include few gamers, and newbies.

Which is fairer for all of them?
A. all restricted to use side A?
B. all restricted to use side B?
C. Feel free to choose side A/B?

I have read other post and found that side B is stronger than most of side a.
Feel free to choose which side seem like fair, but I worry about the newbies. They may found it quite difficult to use side B.

other games are also included in the tournament, SO we can only play the game for a round. Therefore, we cannot play the games for several time to minimize the imbalance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Johnson
United States
Midvale
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say restrict it to all players, then have each round be two matches and total players' sums to determine winner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sophiechan1359 wrote:
I am going to organize a mini competition with 7 wonders. However, I am not a experienced gamer, and I want to ask for some opinion on rule for side-choosing. The competition is going to include few gamers, and newbies.

Feel free to choose which side seem like fair, but I worry about the newbies. They may found it quite difficult to use side B.

other games are also included in the tournament, SO we can only play the game for a round. Therefore, we cannot play the games for several time to minimize the imbalance.

According to some vets of the game, in most cases, you'll want to use side B. There was 1, perhaps a 2nd wonder where choosing either side was a "genuine choice", of which you'd be a fool not to choose the side that was better strategy-wise.

I don't know how it got started, but I don't find any of the side B's so complicated that THAT is the one thing that pushes them over the edge (as opposed to what they already have to learn to play the game).

Also, this is a competition/tourney, and only for one round? to me, it seems like "all bets are off"... it's already a unusual situation anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Go the Mighty Chiefs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Easiest is just use side A for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sy CHAN
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
NA
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
sophiechan1359 wrote:

According to some vets of the game, in most cases, you'll want to use
side B. There was 1, perhaps a 2nd wonder where choosing either side was a "genuine choice", of which you'd be a fool not to choose the side that was better strategy-wise.

I don't know how it got started, but I don't find any of the side B's so complicated that THAT is the one thing that pushes them over the edge (as opposed to what they already have to learn to play the game).

Also, this is a competition/tourney, and only for one round? to me, it seems like "all bets are off"... it's already a unusual situation anyways.

We try to set up a tournament that a player have to get higher rank in different games. As I think it is quite hard for newbies to keep playing the same games whole day. So, it is a bit causal and there is some limitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
In nearly every case, Side A is more consistent and straightforward, Side B is trickier and requires more attention to properly leverage. Side B can potentially get you a little farther than Side A, but it's slight and for new players it's getting more rope to hang yourself with.

The above is literally the explanation I give when there are new players at the table, and I let folks then choose which side they want to play. This seems to work well, as it calibrates everyone's expectations.

Of the remaining two options, if there are new players at the table I'd much sooner restrict everyone to Side A than Side B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Moutel
msg tools
You could also follow the basic rules: each player gets his wonder side based on the way he turned his wonder card, if A is on top then it's A.
There's quite a lot of luck in the game, and wonder selection is part of it. Then you have to adapt your strategy according to the wonder & side.

But I admit for new players having everyone on side A would be easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErsatzDragon wrote:
In nearly every case, Side A is more consistent and straightforward, Side B is trickier and requires more attention to properly leverage. Side B can potentially get you a little farther than Side A, but it's slight and for new players it's getting more rope to hang yourself with.

The above is literally the explanation I give when there are new players at the table, and I let folks then choose which side they want to play. This seems to work well, as it calibrates everyone's expectations.

Of the remaining two options, if there are new players at the table I'd much sooner restrict everyone to Side A than Side B.

Is side B really that much worse for newbies? I'm wondering b/c I've only been in groups where we've either let them pick, or picked for them when they didn't know and asked for strategy advice.

It seems only Babylon's 2nd - build an 7th/last card and Olympia's 3rd stage - copy a neighbor's guild would really be that bad, and those can be explained very briefly.

Reminds me of how some folks were dead set against Ticket To Ride 1910, because it's "too much". Let's just stick to Ticket To Ride without that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
ErsatzDragon wrote:

Is side B really that much worse for newbies? I'm wondering b/c I've only been in groups where we've either let them pick, or picked for them when they didn't know and asked for strategy advice.

Not really. I mean, you can achieve a competitive score without building all three phases of your Wonder, and giving someone new to the game the option of building something tricky isn't the same as forcing them to use it. If they decide they want to try Side B, it's likely because they feel they have an idea of what to do with it, and I'd rather they felt more engaged in the game by being able to make that choice.

(I'll add that if there are few enough players at the table I'll deal two or three Wonder cards out to each player at the start, so that folks have a few options instead of being immediately locked in.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.