$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 79.34

5,340 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
33.7% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We gave the game a first try yesterday, 5-player game. A few questions arose...

The Cave Player:
In the end, we had the feeling the cave 1) couldn't do much during their turn (trying to put as many tiles as possible each turn) 2) was nowhere near to winning in the end. In the rulebook, it is mentionned the cave is supposed to have 45 tiles in the beginning, though we counted 52 of them. Where's the mistake?



Something else we might have missed (other than the cave player should avoid putting crystals near the Knight player)? Is is maybe a known balance problem for unexperienced players, so we should maybe set the difficulty level to easy for the cave player?

The Goblins:
Tribes can't do their special action if hidden (unrevealed), right? It is mentionned on the individual player board, but not in the rulebook.

So basically, the only action a tribe might do during their first turn would be... to Reveal themselves, right?

The Knight:
If the Knight had 3 in movement in perception, he might, for instance, move to adjacent tile (providing there isn't a wall in the way), then reveal the tile and complete their full encounter there (event and/or fight and/or take treasure...), and this, 3 times in a row. Revealing then up to 3 tiles and complete any actions on them. He might, then, for instance, reveal the tuile/crush the krystal on them/take a treasure token, then drop a bomb onto the Dragon, all of this, in a single encounter "action", right?

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
In the end, we had the feeling the cave 1) couldn't do much during their turn (trying to put as many tiles as possible each turn) 2) was nowhere near to winning in the end. In the rulebook, it is mentionned the cave is supposed to have 45 tiles in the beginning, though we counted 52 of them. Where's the mistake?

The 45 doesn't count the entrance tile, nor the 6 Vault tiles that are only used when the Thief is in the game. I believe this is among the corrections that will be included in the upcoming second printing.

poifpoif wrote:
Something else we might have missed (other than the cave player should avoid putting crystals near the Knight player)? Is is maybe a known balance problem for unexperienced players, so we should maybe set the difficulty level to easy for the cave player?

The Cave should be placing two or three tiles every turn, and getting treasures in places that are inconvenient to reach for the other players. Adding one tile via Hatred and one or two via Crystal Curse is usually not a problem. You can try luring the Knight toward tasty treasure using a path that reveals lots of new Dark tiles. Spores are expensive and a last resort, often best used against the Dragon. Keep the Knight alive with the right treasures and events, but don't help her out with offensive abilities. Try to engineer an endgame where crystal tiles have one or two neighboring tiles. Once the collapse starts, you should be two or three turns from victory unless you've made big mistakes.


poifpoif wrote:
So basically, the only action a tribe might do during their first turn would be... to Reveal themselves, right?

Yeah. The first Goblin turn is boring.

poifpoif wrote:
If the Knight had 3 in movement in perception, he might, for instance, move to adjacent tile (providing there isn't a wall in the way), then reveal the tile and complete their full encounter there (event and/or fight and/or take treasure...), and this, 3 times in a row. Revealing then up to 3 tiles and complete any actions on them. He might, then, for instance, reveal the tuile/crush the krystal on them/take a treasure token, then drop a bomb onto the Dragon, all of this, in a single encounter "action", right?

Yep. She can do a lot if opportunities present themselves. Usually the position of dark tiles interferes with such a full turn actually happening, though. And Event tokens chew up encounters too, which gets in the way of exploring a lot.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
In the rulebook, it is mentioned the cave is supposed to have 45 tiles in the beginning, though we counted 52 of them. Where's the mistake?

This has been asked and answered a few times already. For example, here.

Quote:
we had the feeling the cave 1) couldn't do much during their turn (trying to put as many tiles as possible each turn) 2) was nowhere near to winning in the end.

Yes, the Cave wants to place tiles as quickly as possible. But the other main goal of the Cave is to slow down the other players as much as possible. Sometimes that means hurting one player and sometimes that means helping another player to keep things balanced. Last time I played the Cave, the Knight wasn't harassing the Dragon enough so I used giant bats to chase the Knight closer to the Dragon.

Quote:
the only action a tribe might do during their first turn would be... to Reveal themselves, right?

Or intentionally stay hidden in order to ambush. But, yeah.

Quote:
If the Knight had 3 in movement and perception...

Yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you possibly missing that the Cave always places tiles on open edges? I see a lot of people doing that wrong when the Dragon/Thief is in play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
Are you possibly missing that the Cave always places tiles on open edges? I see a lot of people doing that wrong when the Dragon/Thief is in play.


No, no. We did this right. I guess our Cave Player wasn't good enough.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.