4,904 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
30.9% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Andy T(ea)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi,

I picked up the core set on a whim from a bring and buy as I'm a fan of Warhammer Invasion and thought it looked similar but different enough

Anyway I'm not interested in deck building (never done it for WI - just have the Core box and elf expansion for that)

Is it worth me trying to get the core decks up to 50 cards and if so what do you recommend?

Also I like the idea of getting the Necron and Tyranid box sets but are these worth it and is there a recommended deck for each to make them balanced with the core decks?

Also is there 1 pack I can get that would add a 2nd warlord to each core faction (and there HQ squad)

Cheers

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
With so many 1's in the core set decks, you'll find this game a big luck fest. With out 3 cores to build consistent decks the game won't show it's truly amazing decision space. That's my opinion, you may have fun with a single core in ways I couldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Packs only come with one or two warlords apiece. I haven't checked to see if there's a way to get a second warlord for every faction in five packs, but even if it's possible I would recommend just picking up the latest cycle. That should include one warlord for each faction, and extra cards to fill out decks a bit.

That sounds like it might be a bit much for your usage, though. I actually played W:I the same way: I bought a few expansions, but basically never played with them. I'm more a fan of science fiction, so I got the first cycle for this game. Then started picking everything up when the license change got announced...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to give this a shot:

Better preconstructed decks with a single core set

It's a collection of 30 card decks (all of which use allies) with one for each core set faction; decks for Tyranids and Necrons are also included. They're still going to be a bit random, but the deck compositions are a lot closer to what you'd see in an actual competitive deck, so they should play a little more consistently than the "all faction cards plus neutrals" approach offered by the core rules.

If you scroll down the thread there are a couple of alternate decks using different allies that you could try, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
Packs only come with one or two warlords apiece. I haven't checked to see if there's a way to get a second warlord for every faction in five packs, but even if it's possible I would recommend just picking up the latest cycle. That should include one warlord for each faction, and extra cards to fill out decks a bit.

It actually, does not. Deathworld Cycle included about 6 warlords, so there's a few that did not get new ones. Off the top of my head, I think the Tau, and 'nids got shafted. I think the other one that didn't get a new warlord may have been the orks, but I'm honestly not sure.

Honestly, all three cycles add interesting mechanics, that were worth exploring. If they're worth $270 retail, now, before the game goes away, I'm not sure.

I would say, if it doesn't break your budget, grab everything now. 3x cores, and all releases.

Prioritize a second core, and the two big box releases (Legions of Death and The Great Devourer) before anything else. Then grab the cycles. Aim for complete cycles if you can. After that, consider a third core, to close out the collection, and to get your playset of some of the core staple cards.

EDIT: At that point, build your decks once... or look around for someone to do a full collection deck list, and build those.

Long term, with this format, it's worth remembering, the idea is to build your decks and then leave them intact. Something like drafting your deck before each game is not the normal playstyle. Worst case, you could just get someone else to do your deckbuilding for you, and only tweak it if your decks aren't working out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
Off the top of my head, I think the Tau, and 'nids got shafted. I think the other one that didn't get a new warlord may have been the orks, but I'm honestly not sure.

You're correct; Tau, Tyranids, and Orks ended a warlord short.

I'm wholly agreed on prioritizing a second core followed by the deluxes (assuming you want to play Tyranids/Necrons; if you don't care about those factions, then there isn't as much reason to get the deluxes).

For the cycles, I strongly recommend preferencing the Planetfall cycle, followed by the Warlord cycle, followed by the Death World cycle (might not be possible to get this one at all--it seems like they did a pretty small print run on it--but that's okay because the other two cycles are better, anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
followed by the Death World cycle (might not be possible to get this one at all--it seems like they did a pretty small print run on it--but that's okay because the other two cycles are better, anyway).

If you're still missing pieces, you might try the Uncle's at Bellevue Crossroads. They called me earlier today because I had a reserve for one of the packs. I'd ended up ordering directly from FFG, so they should still be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy T(ea)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Cheers Chaps

As I said I doubt I'll ever deck build so spending £70ish for the 6 decks in a cycle + £25 ish each for the big box expansions seems a bit much

I'm only going to be playing this game every now and again

I'm not going to buy everything for the game as it seems excessive to spend £250 ish for all the cycles and big box expansions. I could get an actual 40k army for that

maybe I'll just stick to the core box

StarkeRealm wrote:

If you're still missing pieces, you might try the Uncle's at Bellevue Crossroads. They called me earlier today because I had a reserve for one of the packs. I'd ended up ordering directly from FFG, so they should still be there.

I have no idea what this means

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aktr wrote:
I have no idea what this means

It was directed at Skaak, we're both in the Seattle area, and he was bringing up the last cycle being inordinately difficult to obtain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:

I got a sense of how things were trending when pretty much no local stores stocked the third-to-last pack, and pre/ordered the final three from an OLGS, so I'm good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aktr wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking even a single cycle might be a bit steep, given your constraints.

I'll ask the community if they think a second core set makes sense, though.

I did that with Call of Cthulhu: it allowed me to make reasonable-sized decks without relying on two equal allies. That game made it easy, though: no need to filter for cards that appear too often (all cards were singletons in the starter), so you can just throw both sets together and go. I'm not sure if that would work here, and it would mean losing the symmetry found in Skaak's linked thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
aktr wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking even a single cycle might be a bit steep, given your constraints.

I'll ask the community if they think a second core set makes sense, though.

I did that with Call of Cthulhu: it allowed me to make reasonable-sized decks without relying on two equal allies. That game made it easy, though: no need to filter for cards that appear too often (all cards were singletons in the starter), so you can just throw both sets together and go. I'm not sure if that would work here, and it would mean losing the symmetry found in Skaak's linked thread.

With Conquest there aren't enough cards in the core set to make a legal, mono-faction deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy T(ea)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
StarkeRealm wrote:

With Conquest there aren't enough cards in the core set to make a legal, mono-faction deck.

Seen as the only deck people will be playing with are the ones I provide we should be okay with 30 card core faction decks - it says they are okay in the quick start rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aktr wrote:
StarkeRealm wrote:

Seen as the only deck people will be playing with are the ones I provide we should be okay with 30 card core faction decks - it says they are okay in the quick start rules

The only problem with those is, they don't seem to work right. At least long term. It's hard to put my finger on exactly what's wrong with them, but when I've gone back and rebuilt them to teach the game, it's noticeable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
The only problem with those is, they don't seem to work right. At least long term. It's hard to put my finger on exactly what's wrong with them, but when I've gone back and rebuilt them to teach the game, it's noticeable.

There are two main beefs I have with the single-faction "preconstructed" decks in the core set:

1. Almost everything outside of signature cards is a one-off, which means very low consistency
2. The resource curve is pretty awful, mainly because most decks are cluttered up with 4+ cost cards that are reasonably terrible investments

These two things feed off one another to give you very swingy, inconsistent games: one time you get a bunch of command and low cost cards and you're able to play a normal Conquest game where you build into your higher cost stuff. The next you end up with a single 4-coster as the only combat ready card for your first several turns (without drawing any decent command options, either) and you're steamrolled.

This is bad, because you're not learning to play Conquest (which is highly skill based, and reliant on the player being able to balance their deployments between strategic command and tactical battle options). You're just learning how to desperately play random cards to try and win a particular scenario.

Which was the main reason that I worked with the community on CardGameDB to create some alternative preconstructed decks. You can make a 30 card preconstructed deck work if you balance the command-to-combat units properly and don't throw too many high cost cards in there, because you reduce inconsistency by increasing the number of cards that can fill a particular role (even if everything is still a one-off by title), which in turn allows you to learn to play the actual game instead of learning to play first planet snowball fights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
2. The resource curve is pretty awful, mainly because most decks are cluttered up with 4+ cost cards that are reasonably terrible investments.

Yeah, I think this is probably the biggest issue. The Core set makes for a good starting base of cards, but even in an x2 build, doesn't really play smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mb
Skaak wrote:
You might want to give this a shot:

Better preconstructed decks with a single core set

It's a collection of 30 card decks (all of which use allies) with one for each core set faction; decks for Tyranids and Necrons are also included. They're still going to be a bit random, but the deck compositions are a lot closer to what you'd see in an actual competitive deck, so they should play a little more consistently than the "all faction cards plus neutrals" approach offered by the core rules.

If you scroll down the thread there are a couple of alternate decks using different allies that you could try, too.

Site you linked is unavailable. FYI. Is there anywhere else I can find these decks that are superior and what you sets you need to purchase them? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mb
StarkeRealm wrote:
Skaak wrote:
2. The resource curve is pretty awful, mainly because most decks are cluttered up with 4+ cost cards that are reasonably terrible investments.

Yeah, I think this is probably the biggest issue. The Core set makes for a good starting base of cards, but even in an x2 build, doesn't really play smoothly.

That's a let down. I really want to get this game. It looks fun and fast. But for 3x the boxsets? Plus shipping? Even at 50% off, that's ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zenman12 wrote:
StarkeRealm wrote:
Skaak wrote:

That's a let down. I really want to get this game. It looks fun and fast. But for 3x the boxsets? Plus shipping? Even at 50% off, that's ridiculous.

To be honest, an expensive buy in was always going to be a problem with Conquest. There's seven different factions in the core set, and as a result, the cards are spread painfully thin.

Three core sets actually give you more deck options in this, than a copy of Core and Assault in Invasion do. You have 7 functional decks, compared to 6 there.

It's a very daunting buy in. Three copies of Core, and the two deluxe sets will give you nine fully functional decks to work with. But, I can understand fully why someone would choose to pass on the game over that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.