Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R Hilton
United States
Millburn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very pleased that OSS re-printed this game. But given how faithful the reprint is to the original 1976 title, I was surprised at one change that was made.

Specifically, in the current reprint, the values of German corps in trench status (their flip side) are 1-6-2, the same as for corps of all other nations. In the original, the values of German corps when in trench status were 2-8-2. I gave away my copy of the original game some time ago, so my memory could be hazy on this.

Does anyone know whether this change (if accurate) was intentional or not? If intentional, it would seem to be significant.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lewis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
See below on BGG. If that does not answer your question, I will dig my original copy out and check the counters.

tml (a retired professor in Oregon)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Board Game:

The Great War 1914-1918

Title:

Great_war.xls

Language:

Uploaded By:

Nigel Wright

(alcazar)

flag msg tools

badge

mbmbmbmbmb

License: © All rights reserved
Tags:

Your Tags: Add tags

Popular Tags: [View All]

Recommendations:

Recommend
2 Thumb up tip

Files

Mar 13, 2004
Great_war.xls (17 KB)

Excel counter manifest for The Great War 1914-1918

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hilton
United States
Millburn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The file you referred me to is a counter manifest for the original 1976 game. Thanks for directing me to that.

It indeed indicates that the values on the Trench (flipped) side of the German corps in the earlier edition are 2-8-2, and not 1-6-2 as they are in the current edition of the game. To be clear, the values on the Assault (front) side of German corps are 4-4 in both the current edition and the original 1976 version of the game (and compare to values of 3-4 on the front side of corps counters for all other nations in both editions).

So that seems to indicate that my memory is not faulty. Good to know.

Now I am still wondering was this change from the original edition intentional, or unintentional. I suspect the latter (but I'm only guessing), because it would seem to represent a fairly significant change, whereas in virtually all other aspects the current reprint is faithful to the original edition of the game.

Anyone have any insight into this? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Now I am still wondering was this change from the original edition intentional, or unintentional. I suspect the latter

I have no idea, and until you pointed it out I would not have know. However, giving the other slips in what is a relatively straightforward game, I tend to agree with you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hilton
United States
Millburn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is true (that the values on the Trench side of the German corps are supposed to be 2-8-2, and not 1-6-2), then it is a most unfortunate oversight. I can live with a mis-labelled province on a map, or other such cosmetic error. But for me, wrong combat values on combat units is a bit too much of a distraction, one that takes some of the fun away from playing. Wonder if OSS might provide some kind of a fix.

Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools

From a somewhat cryptic message on CSW seems that OSS has indeed worked on some errata counters, it doesn't spells out which kind and how many of them, unfortunately

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hilton
United States
Millburn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Errata page for this game, available on the OSS website, they write:

"The Segment, Month, & Year counters were inadvertently omitted from the counter sheet. Use a blank counter (we will print new ones and make them available)," and
"Typo: 6-4 AH counters are labeled as corps, they are armies."

Hopefully this issue is now also on their radar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about the issue that Nation ID are not on the back of the counters, maybe not a biggie but the German and Austrian counters are indistinguishable on their backs. Yet this is when you need to ID them for attrition costs.

The whole game comes across as a bit sloppy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hilton
United States
Millburn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The icon colors for the Germans and Austrians are virtually indistinguishable from one another, although I believe that they are slightly different (it may be next to impossible tell the difference in low light). Having the national IDs on the back of each counter would be helpful in this regard. Of course, if the German combat factors on the corps units were correctly printed, those alone would make clear whether the unit was German (2-8-2) or Austrian (1-6-2).

I always thought that the game Great War was an under-appreciated gem, and the fact that the game was re-issued 40 years later I think confirms that assessment. The quality of the components of the re-issued edition is a real improvement too, although I never had any problem with the components of the original edition. But it does seem that there were some regrettable oversights in the proofing of the re-issued product. I am hopeful that these will all be addressed by the publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.