4,183 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
26.4% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Chris Szymanski
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Most likely I'll never run into this issue again, but I'd still like to see people's opinions on it. FYI, this is not a spoiler because both traitor and explorers know the traitor can't be killed, but I don't think the explorers get the exact wording of how the rule works(I don't have the explorers tome with me, sorry).

In haunt #82 one of the special rules for the traitor states: "If any of your traits would be reduced to the skull symbol, lower the trait to the lowest value above the symbol"
In the rulebook under traits it states: "When you take physical damage, you can divide it between Might and Speed as you choose"

I was the traitor and this was pretty cut and dry for me by going off the exact wording of the rules, but everyone else argued against me, obviously because they wanted to win. So let's say my physical stats were at their starting values and I take a lot of damage, can I choose to take all of the damage in speed even if I don't have enough speed to cover the damage, leaving my might high? According to the wording of the rules this would allow me to do that, since I get to choose how I want to divide the damage and if I take all of the damage in speed it will just bounce me back to the lowest stat. Nothing states that you have to distribute damage if you would hit a skull. Also, another point I made for my case was that everyone starts in the same room for this haunt and especially since we had a 6 player game, the traitor would be at a major disadvantage because 5 people could take actions against him before he even got to go and the traitor was the haunt revealer, not someone with a highest stat, although you do get a small boost to might stat for being the traitor. Also, if your might did drop to a very low value, it would be near impossible to win as the traitor, so it could be very easily game over before you even get a turn with 5 explorers taking turns in the same room before you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
szymanc wrote:
Most likely I'll never run into this issue again, but I'd still like to see people's opinions on it. FYI, this is not a spoiler because both traitor and explorers know the traitor can't be killed, but I don't think the explorers get the exact wording of how the rule works(I don't have the explorers tome with me, sorry).

In haunt #82 one of the special rules for the traitor states: "If any of your traits would be reduced to the skull symbol, lower the trait to the lowest value above the symbol"
In the rulebook under traits it states: "When you take physical damage, you can divide it between Might and Speed as you choose"

I was the traitor and this was pretty cut and dry for me by going off the exact wording of the rules, but everyone else argued against me, obviously because they wanted to win. So let's say my physical stats were at their starting values and I take a lot of damage, can I choose to take all of the damage in speed even if I don't have enough speed to cover the damage, leaving my might high? According to the wording of the rules this would allow me to do that, since I get to choose how I want to divide the damage and if I take all of the damage in speed it will just bounce me back to the lowest stat. Nothing states that you have to distribute damage if you would hit a skull. Also, another point I made for my case was that everyone starts in the same room for this haunt and especially since we had a 6 player game, the traitor would be at a major disadvantage because 5 people could take actions against him before he even got to go and the traitor was the haunt revealer, not someone with a highest stat, although you do get a small boost to might stat for being the traitor. Also, if your might did drop to a very low value, it would be near impossible to win as the traitor, so it could be very easily game over before you even get a turn with 5 explorers taking turns in the same room before you do.

You must suffer as much damage as you can. So if you have 5 Knowledge and 2 Sanity, and you are dealt 4 damage, you can only take 2 of that damage to Sanity (the last 1 of which would be absorbed and leave you back on 1 above the skull) and must suffer 2 damage to Knowledge. Think of it as you having to allocate all the damage first to as many numbers as possible, then applying effects that might change the result for you.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.