Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Sweeney
United Kingdom
Ashford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Unresolved" is assumed in all statements below.

So pawns with an arrow on either side mean:

If you doing "Move a liveryman": move a liveryman or a master pawn to a guild or special building

On card 81, 98 and 102: move two liverymen to the same guild or special building

On cards 64, 65, 66, 80: move two liverymen to the same or different guilds or special buildings, of the suit of the card played

On card 76: move two liverymen to the same or different guilds or special buildings

On card 78: move one liveryman to a guild only (and it can be yours or someone else's)

Have I understood that correctly?

I must admit I find Race for the Galaxy far easier to teach as exceptions like this are printed on the card!

I am very tempted to house-rule that all moves are independent and can be to a guild or a special building. Then at least the icons on the cards would all have the same meaning. Would that change the game significantly?

Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
johnthesweeney wrote:

If you doing "Move a liveryman": move a liveryman or a master pawn to a guild or special building

This is "of the suit of the card played" which is based on the banner on the card.

Quote:
On card 81, 98 and 102: move two liverymen to the same guild or special building

Quote:
On card 76: move two liverymen to the same or different guilds or special buildings

I believe when the symbols are listed separately (98, 102, 76) they're supposed to indicate separate instances of the action, and can be movements to different places.

Since card 81 has the pawns together on the arrow, they need to move to the same place.

I think this means for cards 98/102 that the player ref should be more clear about this movement (although it's possible that I'm misremembering the intent of the card).

Quote:
On cards 64, 65, 66, 80: move two liverymen to the same or different guilds or special buildings, of the suit of the card played

These all modify the card being played, they do not generate a discrete effect themselves (64, 65, 66, and 80 are not moving the pawn, they are saying when you move a pawn elsewhere, that movement is modified). You play the card, nothing happens. When you do something else it modifies each instance of a pawn movement to two movements. The same is true for all the cases of the swirly icon at the top, their effect is to modify actions, with the action to be modified being listed first after the swirly icon.

Quote:
On card 78: move one liveryman to a guild only (and it can be yours or someone else's)

I believe this should say "tile" on the player aid rather than guild. it follows the normal rules for pawn-with-arrows.

So to summarize, each instance of the pawn-with-arrows on a card should mean essentially the same thing (the description of movement as in the rulebook). There are cards where something modifies or restricts the way you should interpret it (for instance, if the pawn is rainbow, it means anyone's pawn. If it has a swirly at the top of the card, it's indicating that the immediately following icon is modified), but this is consistent as well.

For example, if I'm on a bus and say "This is our stop?" the way you respond to the words is different from if I say "This is our stop!", even though all the words in the sentence mean the same thing.

Hopefully that helps? meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Please let try to express essentially the same thought on the "swirly" or circle arrow at the top somewhat differently. I believe the "swirly" or circle arrow indicates that the card's modifiers are in effect for the entire turn for every instance of the applicable action.

Examples:
You play "Every time you move a liveryman, move two instead" then you play two more cards, each to move liverymen. So you move twice as many liverymen as you would have had you not played "Every time you move a liveryman, move two instead."
You play "Every time you hire a liveryman, hire two instead" then you play two more cards, each to hire liverymen. So you hire twice as many liverymen as you would have had you not played "Every time you hire a liveryman, hire two instead."

Also, note the color of the liverymen on the cards with the circle arrow. If they are white, these modifier cards only apply to actions involving your liverymen. See Definitions, combinations and general first game questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.