13 Posts

Forbidden Island» Forums » General

Subject: Could it be a one player game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Newton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all could this work as a solo game.Thanks Dave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave345 wrote:

I think it works really well! If I play it solo I'll usually do it with 4 pawns. Here's a solo gameplay I did last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, most of my plays are solo with 2-3 characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Newton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you for the video and your help great thanks Dave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave345 wrote:

If you are into playing solo games, you should join us over in the 1-Player Guild, and check out the Solitaire Games On Your Table: October 2016 geeklist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, come and check out the 1 Player Guild!

I prefer Forbidden Desert to Forbidden Island myself but they both have a lot of fans as solo games.

With a lot of cooperative games playing multiple hands or characters yourself is the way to make it the best experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave345 wrote:

Any cooperative game without a traitor mechanism if fundamentally a solitaire game IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gotteri
United Kingdom
CHESTERFIELD
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
whac3 wrote:
Dave345 wrote:

Any cooperative game without a traitor mechanism if fundamentally a solitaire game IMO.

I completely agree with this. It works perfectly as a solo game.
I tend to play it with one character, but i don't use the Pilot or Diver, and the Navigator (from memory, the one who shares things with characters anywhere on the island) is a bit redundant when playing one character.
But it definitely works Really well!
Nice to see I'm not alone!!! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Newton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you all for that and the solo player forums.Dave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Dave345 wrote:

Exactly. I don't really understand why people ask if it's possible to play solo. It is obviously possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Dave345 wrote:

Exactly. I don't really understand why people ask if it's possible to play solo. It is obviously possible.

Whilst this game is clearly soloable, to your comments, I simply say: Hanabi, thus proving that not any co-op game without a traitor mechanism is soloable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
Whilst this game is clearly soloable, to your comments, I simply say: Hanabi, thus proving that not any co-op game without a traitor mechanism is soloable.

I don't know that game; so could you clarify how it disproves the assertion exactly? (This is not snark but a genuine question about game design.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh, you should give it a go, it's excellent. It's a lighter game than a lot of co-ops, arguably, with less applied theme, but that's not necessarily to its detriment.

Essentially, each player holds a hand of cards such that he/she can only see the backs and not the fronts. This means that each player can see the fronts of all other players cards. It's then up to the group to give clues to each player, subject to certain restrictions, to let them know what's in their hand.

I'll leave you to read up on the specifics but the point is, there's no betrayal, it's true co-op, but no way for anyone to alpha the experience without seriously cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.