8 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Help me compile a list of every way to spend a Command rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viking Erik

New Jersey
msg tools
The biggest challenge I found in learning Ascendancy was getting my head around everything that Commands can do. The player aids give an incomplete list, but that's understandable for simplicity. The list on page 10 of the rulebook isn't quite complete either. And the online PDF of the rulebook seems to be scanned images and isn't actually text to search for "command".

I think these are the possible actions, please tell me if there are any more!

- Move a ship at Impulse speed
- Enter Warp with a ship or fleet
- Add a Warp token to a ship or fleet already in warp
- Move a ship/fleet in warp and exit warp
- Initiate a Space Battle against a sector (which includes all your ships in or adjacent to the target sector even if in multiple sectors)
- Invade a Planet
- Attempt Hegemony
- Construct a Starbase (subject to the requirements of planetary control and ascendancy level)
- Commission a Fleet (subject to the requirement of a starbase or home system)
- Launch Research projects (draw two, discard down to your number of research nodes)
- Activate any rule on an Advancement that requires a Command
- Activate any rule on a Fleet that requires a Command (such as the Romulan Mining Fleet)
- Brave a Hazard in a Phenomenon sector without moving (you get this for free if you just ended a move in the sector)

The following actions do NOT consume a Command:

- Add or remove ships to a fleet (no requirement on location; just can't be in the middle of a movement command)
- Brave a Hazard in a Phenomenon sector in which a ship/fleet just ended a move (this is free and mandatory)
- Retreat from a Space Battle
- Retreat from a Planetary Invasion (only the attacker can)
- Make a move at Impulse speed upon winning a Space Battle (this is a Tactical Maneuver)
- Disband a Fleet
- Commission a Fleet with at least 3 newly-built ships

Anything else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GF9 clarified the fleet rules. Adding or removing ships from a fleet really doesn't have anything to do with move commands. You just cannot do it in the middle of a move, impulse or warp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding and removing ships from a fleet does not cost a command. The rulebook was misleading on this point, but it was clarified by the publisher in the game threads here on BGG.

The restriction is that it must be done during your turn, and cannot be done DURING any other command (such as movement), but it has no command cost at all. The restriction is there so that you can't pick up and drop off ships "along the way" during movement, but would have to add/drop either before or after movement.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Craig!
ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Braving the hazard of a system you are already occupying is not technically a move command that moves zero spaces. It is its own command that has nothing to do with movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viking Erik

New Jersey
msg tools
Thanks guys, I fixed the list around that info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
vikingerik wrote:

- Brave a Hazard in a Phenomenon sector that a ship/fleet just moved into

It's a nitpick, but I wouldn't even include this in the list. This is a list of things you can CHOOSE to do. Braving a hazard when you end movement there is not voluntary, it's required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
vikingerik wrote:

- Brave a Hazard in a Phenomenon sector that a ship/fleet just moved into

It's a nitpick, but I wouldn't even include this in the list. This is a list of things you can CHOOSE to do. Braving a hazard when you end movement there is not voluntary, it's required.

Different nitpick, same section: I would change both references to phenomenon so they say "that a ship/fleet just ended it's movement in" rather than "just moved into". Worded as it is now, some people will think that you can brave the phenomenon in the middle of a move that takes you through that system and beyond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't forget the Mining Fleet. It takes a command to strip-mine a planet that the Organians won't let you colonize (just don't build any housing on the planet until you're Ascendancy 3+).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.