Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Osterman
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We play as a family and I've found that the shepherds/ peasants/ the laying down meeples are really hard to explain scoring of. The roads? Easy. Cities? Easy. Abbeys? Simple. But getting around the rule of the continuous meadows is really hard to explain and it's ~feels~ really hard to strategize for.

But my question is: How much do we "break" the game if we don't play for that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't break the game. It's your game play it how you like.

Personally, I like having the complexity of the farmers, but when introducing the game to non-gamers or playing with children I play without them.

Why not leave them out until you and your family are more familiar with the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll often teach the game without the farmers, and after a person has played once and gets all the other rules I'll add in the farmers. The game still works just fine.
I also play with my six and four-year-old without the farmers.

MrOsterman wrote:
We play as a family and I've found that the shepherds/ peasants/ the laying down meeples are really hard to explain scoring of. The roads? Easy. Cities? Easy. Abbeys? Simple. But getting around the rule of the continuous meadows is really hard to explain and it's ~feels~ really hard to strategize for.

But my question is: How much do we "break" the game if we don't play for that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, the latest edition makes farmers an optional rule.

I think it's a little sad, because I'd certainly never want to play without them. But to omit them in a player's first game or two is reasonable enough. And it's neither defective nor substandard play to leave them out on an ongoing basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Osterman
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
As I understand it, the latest edition makes farmers an optional rule.

That's what I thought but I just downloaed the app and farmers (is that the name officially? Heh. I should remember that) is on and I'm not sure it can be turned off. Plus either because the AI plays strongly to it, or I don't know how to stop it, the points from Farmers seems to swing the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Nugent
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the iOS app you can turn the farmers off. In a local game anyways, I've never played an internet game on the app.

On the screen where you are choosing which players will participate click on the gear icon in the bottom right of the screen, directly above the start button.

There is an option for "no fields". Select that. Voila, no farmers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Nugent
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I always teach the game without farmers. It is a little difficult for beginner players to comprehend. After a few games I'll introduce the mechanism, and assist everyone playing with when an opportune time may be to place them.

The farmers can be a powerful follower for sure, but I've seen some pretty impressive cities laid down too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Osterman
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nugenet wrote:
In the iOS app you can turn the farmers off. In a local game anyways, I've never played an internet game on the app.

On the screen where you are choosing which players will participate click on the gear icon in the bottom right of the screen, directly above the start button.

There is an option for "no fields". Select that. Voila, no farmers.

Totally missed that. Cool. I'm trying to give my 4 year old more games to play on the iPad besides Princess Make Over. So far she's pounding the daylights out of "Hey that's my Fish" and she loved Carc this week at game night so I"m hoping this will become another new favorite.

Curiousity: Does the Dragon/ Princess add much to the tabletop game? Could I explain it to a 4 year who who gets the basic game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrOsterman wrote:
the shepherds/ peasants/ the laying down meeples
The word you are looking for is "Farmers". Shepherds are an entirely different figure introduced in Carcassonne: Hills & Sheep. Your thread title confused me!

MrOsterman wrote:
Curiousity: Does the Dragon/ Princess add much to the tabletop game? Could I explain it to a 4 year who who gets the basic game?
Dragon is quite easy to teach and fairly straight-forward. The Princess is a little more abstract, but mostly because her power is optional based on the person placing the tile. The two are independent elements, though, and you could leave out the Princess rules and/or tiles and still enjoy the Dragon rules all by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never understood what's so hard about the farmer scoring.

Each farmer scores 3 points for every city he can walk to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1st, then 2nd edition scoring was slightly more confusing. One was based on majority of farmers, per city. Altering rules like this does cause confusion between groups.

If anyone's interested - I wrote a short article comparing the versions of the rules, over on Carcassonne Central
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Osterman
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
emptyset wrote:
I've never understood what's so hard about the farmer scoring.

Each farmer scores 3 points for every city he can walk to.

Is each farmer or is the farmer who has the majority color in a given field?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The player with the majority of farmers in each field, scores 3 points for each city in that field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrOsterman wrote:

It is the player whose farmers have the majority in the area.

I was trying to give a thematic background on the scoring that I think most people can relate to when explaining how farmer scoring works. But yes, my wording isn't literally right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Osterman
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
emptyset wrote:
MrOsterman wrote:

I was trying to give a thematic background on the scoring that I think most people can relate to when explaining how farmer scoring works. But yes, my wording isn't literally right.

I figured but I wanted to be sure. I like the "complete town he can walk to". I will make it easier to teach if/when we add it in to our games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrOsterman wrote:
emptyset wrote:
MrOsterman wrote:

I figured but I wanted to be sure. I like the "complete town he can walk to". I will make it easier to teach if/when we add it in to our games.

It sounds nice, but: Farmers can't walk across roads?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:

Traffic in Carcassonne is crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MisuVir
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emptyset wrote:
Carthoris wrote:

Traffic in Carcassonne is crazy.

I certainly don't see any level crossings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.