Subject: Foe Hunters Early Impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Wice
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Here are my group's first impressions of the game.

PRO
+Great art and layout, easy to read and pleasant to look at.

+Lots of relevant info on the cards, very little to look up.

+Very difficult to defeat the foe, for our group this is a positive as we find MOST coop games far too easy. We love challenging games like Ghost Stories etc.

+Each character plays very well and feels very thematic.

+Lots of combos to discover, skill ceiling seems kind of high honestly which means you find new combos often. Some of the abilities mixed from other classes via the city deck make some crazy stuff happen but never seems way out of balance so far. This creates some reliance on player skill. If you play a class for a while, you will definitely be better at it than a new player to that class.

+Components feel good, I especially like the box as it comes with dividers and the box height is higher than the standing cards and dividers. It seems perfectly sized to accommodate sleeved cards and their dividers. The dials are solid and clever in that they track HP and XP on the same dial easily. No juggling a million cardboard chits around every time someone heals, damages, or gains xp. For my group this is such a relief.

+Class selection actually matters quite a bit. Tank, Support, Damage are all pretty much needed.

+Love being able to play purchased cards immediately. This makes the city deck sort of like a shared extra pool of cards that are available to everyone and refreshing a new card at every purchase creates a lot of options.

CON
-Very difficult, while this is a positive for our group, some groups might not enjoy the challenge. Some optional rules included to provide some options to reduce difficulty.

-Combos are not as obvious as in some games and may even be avoided at first for feeling "cheaty" for example, the Necro character can use his class ability to discard a card to bring a minion from his discard into play. You can discard a minion card into the discard, then place it directly in play. Its a great combo, but not immediately obvious. There are a lot of little combos like this in the game and it will take some time to find them.

-Did not come with dice due to budget/player complaints according to the publisher, but the XP/HP dials included are pretty nifty. I read somewhere the dials were added over dice due to the majority of playtesters mentioning they didn't like the dice. I personally hate more fiddly bits like dice and counters, so this is a positive for us.

-This could be a positive for many as it is for our group, but the games go somewhat long (about as long as a SoTM game I would say) You won't see giant explosions of damage typically, and there is a lot of back and forth between damage and healing. Even the easiest foe will take some time to defeat. There are some classes that can build up a large combo and take out a considerable chunk of HP, though it does take time.

-Have not played the 2P version yet, but I could see it being more difficult, especially if its your first play as you would really need to have the combos down and you probably aren't going to know them right out of the gate. I do not recommend playing the 2P version as your first play of this game as it may cause you some frustration due to its difficulty.

CONCLUSION
Overall our group really enjoys the game and we are pleasantly surprised by the final version. Looking forward to expansions and its a nice coop game to add to our collection as there really aren't too many coop games on our shelves. The OCD in me loves that every component fits in the box with some room for expansion and the dividers and fit for the sleeved cards is phenomenal in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Lembcke
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Thanks for the comments and feedback, it is greatly appreciated Glad to hear you guys enjoy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.