Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick OLeary
United States
Roosevelt
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just throwing this out there:

We didn't like the downtime or the swings caused by doing all your command actions at once. We started playing round robin, one command at time.

First player does one command, next player does one, etc. Until everyone passes. Then start new round.

Seems to work great. No downtime at all because your turn is constantly right around the corner and you have to think about how to react to moves the other players make.

It felt much more strategic, too, because you had to outmaneuver your opponents instead of just coming out of nowhere.

Turn order didn't seem to matter as much, so we ended up just rotating the first player marker unless someone wanted to initiate a bid to steal it. Sped up that whole sequence as well.

Overall, worked great for our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread, a different BGG user said that his group tried it and it was not good. As I recall, he said that they felt it became less strategic since you couldn't combo actions together.

After reading that, I wrote off the variant as not being viable. So I'm glad to read this post and hope that there may still be some chance for this idea to work.

I'm interested to hear from more people who have actually tried this (rather than just theorizing about it, which is all I'd be able to do at this point).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Primus
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
In another thread, a different BGG user said that his group tried it and it was not good. As I recall, he said that they felt it became less strategic since you couldn't combo actions together.

I think that was me.

It made it too obvious what other players were doing, and it sucked all of the tension out of the game. And it made the overall game length increase by about 50%.

But if it works for your group, Patrick, go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur Skallagrímson
Canada
flag msg tools
I've played four times now with the variant of everybody does their build phase in player order, then everybody does their whole command phase in player order.

It seems like it's the Best of Both Worlds (see what I did there?) for keeping downtime to a minimum but also allowing players to string actions together. It makes the defensive game a little easier by having reinforcements available to everyone before someone gets to attack (which fits my group, but might not be a fit for everyone).

I don't feel it lowers strategy though, nor does it detract from bidding for player order, as you may only still build ships in home systems and star bases, leaving outposts just as vulnerable, and it let's attackers be even MORE aggressive sometimes, because they know exactly the location that a counter-attack could originate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for less down time too....
How about this:

1) Build in reverse turn order (1st player is last to build plus makes going first an advantage!)

2) also... each player in turn order does THREE
command actions then next player does 3...continues around until all player goes and are out of command?

Thoughts?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guthmundur wrote:
I've played four times now with the variant of everybody does their build phase in player order, then everybody does their whole command phase in player order.

It seems like it's the Best of Both Worlds (see what I did there?) for keeping downtime to a minimum but also allowing players to string actions together. It makes the defensive game a little easier by having reinforcements available to everyone before someone gets to attack (which fits my group, but might not be a fit for everyone).

I don't feel it lowers strategy though, nor does it detract from bidding for player order, as you may only still build ships in home systems and star bases, leaving outposts just as vulnerable, and it let's attackers be even MORE aggressive sometimes, because they know exactly the location that a counter-attack could originate.

I wonder if this variant will become a must when you start doing 5+ player games. To me, this is the simplest variant to reduce downtime.

In a 6 player game, you would likely have two rivals on your flanks that you care about. This means that three players could be taking their turns with zero impact on your immediate situation. Easy to lose attention and interest when players on the other side of the galaxy from you are taking their long turns.

In some cases, you may bid higher to go last with initiative. Being able to build last allows you to react to your opponent's builds if you see them constructing a fleet on your border. This could lead to arms races as opponent's mass forces on each other's borders. It reduces sneak attacks but promotes gentleman's agreements and demilitarized zones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I know in larger games of eclipse there is the two token passing. The 1st player gets the pink token (which allows for research) and across from that table there is the second person that gets token that allows for all other action other than research.

Maybe something similar could be adapted to STA. Such as in a 6 player game player 1 and 3(the player across the table form player 1. not player 3) could take their turns at the same time. And if there were any timing conflicts the player with the initiative (the lowest turn order card) get to resolve their set up first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.