BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What is a good introductory pnp? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to try out pnp and have looked at some games, but there's so much out there that I find myself overwhelmed. So I was hoping maybe somebody could help point me to some games.

Prerequisites:

My printer is being stubborn and won't print in color, so black and white is a must until we remedy the situation.

I want something simple that I can print on card stock and be happy with. I can manage cardboard chits. I have lots of d6s and d10s, but don't want to customize dice.

Not really looking for any specific type or genre of game, but I'd like something that can be played solo or at least with 2 (preferably both).

Overall, I want an easy project that is a joy to play!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie in my Pocket
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmmm
It strikes me as something that each person needs to find their own aspect they are interested in. For me its finding how many different levels of quality (and what materials can be combined to make what lvl of quality) and what I can do to a game. So this may not be for you but its one of my starting projects I thought turned out worthwhile.
Hive
You can print out a black and white copy to whatever size you'd like too. You know the game so any edits you feel could make to the look might be easy, simple enough base to build on if thats what your looking for.
I printed a copy at about 75% the normal size and used packing tape to laminate* it. Made a copy even more portable.

I know this may not seem that nice of a choice for many but I thought it was a great start into pnp for myself so I thought I'd mention it.
edit add: Micropul and Icarus Twins also come to mind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:

This was my first PNP and quite enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
hmmmm

edit add: Micropul and Icarus Twins also come to mind

Micropul was my second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryan wills
United States
Wonder Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Utopia Engine is fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
30 Rails is a 1 page, solo, B&W PNP, + several pages for rules. I think you could do it muli-player simply by having everyone use the same dice rolls on their own boards. See who made the best use of things. I do recommend a laminate sheet for this game, but it is not required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:

Don't forget, there are several rethemes, and rethemes so radical that they got their own game entries under the "...IMP" family. So you should be able to find a theme that you like. Fairy Tale in my Pocket has a version that is B&W that you can color in yourself, with crayons, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will be looking at each of them and let you know what I end up doing. Of course, feel free to keep contributing. If things go well with my first print, I might try several games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I printed Hive and laminated it with packing tape. Also taped pieces to cardboard from a cereal box for backing to make them a bit thicker. I'm happy with how it turned out for a quick project that I wasn't too picky about. Even got husband to play a game of it with me today.

Also, I'm really really enjoying 30 Rails. I've played 3 games so far, and scoring went as follows:
1st game - 34 points
2nd game - 16 points (something definitely went wrong there)
3rd game - 47 points

I will probably end up trying some more! I'm a crazy pnp machine now! robot

Anybody else have favorite entry level pnps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bort Jr
United States
centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Deep Future is one I found a couple of weeks ago. It's a sci-fi themed 4x somewhat legacy styled game in which you generate the cards as you play. The cards carry over to future games, and you sometimes add features to the map. At minimum you'd need to print just one page, but I also printed out the rules (11 pages). It also needs a pile of blank index cards and some cubes (but these could be replaced by tokens from another game, or coins, or small dice. Just some way to denote numbers up to 5 in a hex).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weilong

Outlaw

Dead Drop

Six Sons of the Sultan

All of the above play well with 2. And also take a look at some of the One Page PnP Contest Games - https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/200499/one-page-print-pla...

EDIT - Also for B&W friendly games you can check out Utopia Engine, Delve: The Dice Game and Reiner Knizia's Decathlon. The first 2 are brilliant especially UE but I have not played Decathlon. It is highly regarded though

Welcome to the PnP addiction devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions! I have actually played Decathlon (so technically, it was my first) and liked it a lot. I find it difficult to dislike a Knizia game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.