6 Posts

DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Deck Size questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Stephen
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello, I just recently got into the realm of deckbuilding and I am really enjoying the DC variant. Apologies if this has been addressed already but with the main game and a few expansions been purchased I have a few questions regarding deck sizes.

1. Does the deck size matter too much for competitive play as long as you have an equal amount of each card type? Or should you try to stick as close to the base 114 as possible?

2. For single player crisis mode, what is the recommended main deck size?

3. What is the recommended main deck size for multiplayer crisis mode? I see that there's a recommended supervillian deck size but if you wanted to play with all the supervillians, how many more cards would you have to add to the main deck to compensate?

And one last question just for clarification

4. Am I correct in assuming that an attempt to beat a crisis can happen at any point during a players turn, even after they have played/purchased cards as long as there are no villans in the lineup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
1. You want to have consistent games that don't suddenly end after 12 rounds.
2. 100
3. 125-130
4. Correct

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stephen
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you for the helpful reply, sorry just to expand on some of your answers:

1. I take that to mean that more is better as long as you have a roughly equal number of each card type in the main deck?

2. That's interesting, I tried it a few times solo with 106 main deck cards and all the impossible villains and still had quite a big chunk of the deck left by the end each time. I found that not having to co-ordinate beating crisis cards amongst other players made the game go a lot smoother. At this point is it really up to my own discretion on how to increase the difficulty (e.g putting 2 cards instead of 1 from the main deck into the lineup at the end of each of my turns)?

3. Does 125-130 work for 2,3,4 and 5 players or do you have to increase it with the number of people playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
1. Sticking near 110-120 in each game is a good idea for the consistency I mentioned. More is not better.

2. Yes, solo is all about finding that sweet spot of challenge. If 100 is too easy for you, try 70 next time.

3. You do not increase it based on the number of players.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephens3012 wrote:
1. Does the deck size matter too much for competitive play as long as you have an equal amount of each card type?

You'll want slightly fewer Super Powers relative to the other types, due to the Kick stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Baker
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
It also helps to go through and pick some stuff thematically related to your hero and make sure there are only about 5 locations. I just picked this game up with Crysis 1&2 and was just playing crisis mode with 100 random shuffled cards, you can get an odd mix that just dooms you or isn't fun since the theme wont match.

I have also found that solo crisis mode is maybe better with regular heroes as opposed to crisis ones. The crisis heroes benefits target other players, so you always have to pick yourself.

I have not figured the proper mix of card types yet besides putting in some theme ones and limiting locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.