$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 132.05

7,746 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.8% of Goal | left

Support:

Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you also know the name of that particular work ?

He did this to give the middle finger to the art establishment.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I had never heard this story, but I suspect this is the painting in question:



Edgar Degas, Jockeys Before the Race
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice find ! That is not how I remember it, but that's it.
What did you Google for? I Googled for a bit and couldn't find it.
Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This question has made me curious.

This weird composition seems pretty typical of Degas--JV, arty compositions apropos of nothing. Also, everything the impressionists did was an F U to the establishment.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I think of him as "The guy who painted all the ballerinas."

And the occasional naughty bits.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dale12 wrote:
Nice find ! That is not how I remember it, but that's it.
What did you Google for? I Googled for a bit and couldn't find it.
Thanks!


I googled Degas, because he did paint lots of horse paintings and the Impressionists were the generation of giving the finger to the man.

I did spend 7 years in art school, so I had some help. But I had never heard this story, nor seen this painting. weird.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda like it. The pole is hilarious - nobody puts a big pole right in the middle of their composition, right?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I kinda like it. The pole is hilarious - nobody puts a big pole right in the middle of their composition, right?


Nope. Exactly why he did it.

7 years? That's a lot. Master's degree ?

Funny how confident I was that someone in this community would know or be able to find the painting. And it only took 10 minutes

Cool group of people here!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Be kind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee Whiz wrote:

I had never heard this story, but I suspect this is the painting in question:



Edgar Degas, Jockeys Before the Race

WRONG

This is "Nude Descending a Firepole" (1919). Caused major riots, 42 dead.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Majestic Tale of) An Idiot With a Box
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
Gee Whiz wrote:

I had never heard this story, but I suspect this is the painting in question:



Edgar Degas, Jockeys Before the Race

WRONG

This is "Nude Descending a Firepole" (1919). Caused major riots, 42 dead.
Also WRONG! "Horse admiring pole" (1903). The art world was not ready for the bestiality undertones. The painter was flogged.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Dickinson
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs on the head.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
dale12 wrote:


Nope. Exactly why he did it.

7 years? That's a lot. Master's degree ?




I spent 11 years in art school and left with only a B.A. in Drawing.

However, I'm pretty sure I attained a Master's degree in Rocking in Shitty Bands and Substances.
11 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
God is a cruel croupier, he dealeth and he taketh away
mbmbmbmbmb
mothertruckin wrote:
dale12 wrote:


Nope. Exactly why he did it.

7 years? That's a lot. Master's degree ?




I spent 11 years in art school and left with only a B.A. in Drawing.

However, I'm pretty sure I attained a Master's degree in Rocking in Shitty Bands and Substances.
Ah, memories!
Or
not
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Manvel
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you're in the Houston area, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston has a great Degas exhibit going on for the next 2-3 months. It has about 200 of his works, in what is the biggest retrospective of his career in almost 30 years. There are some horse paintings, but not that one IIRC.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uisge Beatha
Scotland
flag msg tools
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
badge
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
mb
Degas was influenced by the then new art of photography - the idea that a picture captured everything within the 'frame' rather than being distorted or edited by the arartist - this is an obvious example but it appears in a lot of his pictures, where race horses or dancers at the edge of the frame are 'chopped off' rather than whole. We're now so used to it that we mostly don't notice but at the time it may have been the first thing people noticed - the shock of the new!

10 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uisge Beatha
Scotland
flag msg tools
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
badge
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
mb

This is a good example of Degas' framing



Edgar Degas The Rehearsal (Adagio) Burrell Collection, Glasgow

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Celtic wrote:
Degas was influenced by the then new art of photography - the idea that a picture captured everything within the 'frame' rather than being distorted or edited by the arartist - this is an obvious example but it appears in a lot of his pictures, where race horses or dancers at the edge of the frame are 'chopped off' rather than whole. We're now so used to it that we mostly don't notice but at the time it may have been the first thing people noticed - the shock of the new!



So Degas would have approved of the OP's response:

dale12 wrote:
Nice find ! That is not how I remember it, but that's it.
What did you Google for? I Googled for a bit and couldn't find it.
Thanks!


Thank you for the art lesson!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OSAKA Kobe KYOTO Nara BULLET to TOKYO
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
dale12 wrote:
wmshub wrote:
I kinda like it. The pole is hilarious - nobody puts a big pole right in the middle of their composition, right?


Nope. Exactly why he did it.


I'll state the bleedin' obvious. It's the Starting Post. It has to go somewhere, so why not up front.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.