A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Solitaire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Game_of_Thrones:LCG2e [+] [View All]
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Is it possible that this game can be played solitaire or do the mechanics of the game make it an unlikely prospect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn Raider wrote:
Is it possible that this game can be played solitaire or do the mechanics of the game make it an unlikely prospect?

I can't personally imagine a version of the game that would be satisfying as a solo endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
Dawn Raider wrote:

I can't personally imagine a version of the game that would be satisfying as a solo endeavor.

Agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cope
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dawn Raider wrote:

I don't fully understand your question. I mean, it's a typical card game where each player has a hand of cards hidden from his opponent(s). Theoretically any game is playable solitaire if you control both sides. But much of the skill and all of the surprise is eliminated, rendering the experience quite unsatisfying, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very mean game, best enjoyed with mean opponents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I asked the question because I saw that with the Cthulhu card game that their was a solitaire ruleset that I believe somebody had put together. Given the fact though, that Cthulhu Arkham is about to come out and that is solitaire friendly that has solved my solitaire problem with that game.

I thought I'd fire the question for GoT just in case there was a solo possibility out there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn Raider wrote:
I asked the question because I saw that with the Cthulhu card game that their was a solitaire ruleset that I believe somebody had put together. Given the fact though, that Cthulhu Arkham is about to come out and that is solitaire friendly that has solved my solitaire problem with that game.

I thought I'd fire the question for GoT just in case there was a solo possibility out there

I wish. It's a terrific game, and I could use the practice as my opponents always shaft me.

EDIT: Hmm...I guess someone did design a solo variant for it, but I've never tried it. I can't imagine it could be that satisfying.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1262425/solo-play-modifying...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Colm this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for Eventually I'll have another player to play against but for now it's solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be very pleased to see someone update the Quintain solo variant for the Second Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, the solo AI system developed by Ricky Royal for the 1st edition (aka "Quintain"), was very ingenious and worked well for those times when a human opponent simply wasn't available, or for when you wanted to practice on your own without anyone watching!

But as others have discovered, there are just enough changes in the 2ed that Quintain doesn't work very well in its current form. I asked Ricky if he plans to update Quintain for the 2ed, and he didn't exactly say, "No". His reply was more of a, "I want to, but can't promise anything".

Still, for anyone who doubts the game can be played solo... perhaps that may be true for the 2nd ed ... but it was definitely not true for the 1st ed, as Quintain provided for an able opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
What's the main issue with the solitaire rules for the second version of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dawn Raider wrote:
What's the main issue with the solitaire rules for the second version of the game?

I assume it has to do with the major changes to the AGoT rules between the two editions:

- Reserve value
- Management of attachments
- Influence resource type removed
- Higher gold cost curve
- Change to keywords & removal of some keywords

I don't think that any one or two of the above changes would necessarily make the "Quintain" solo AI unusable for the 2nd edition, but when taken in totality they do serve as a significant obstacle.

So better to revise the AI design to better handle all the above changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.