Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally prefer to sleeve deckbuilders, on the grounds that:

A) very small decks (15 cards and less, for example) are easier to shuffle while sleeved than to shuffle normally while unsleeved.

B) cards get shuffled a lot, which results in cards getting worn quickly.

C) Some cards are used every game while some cards are only used occasionally. The cards used every game tend to wear much faster, resulting in cards that are easily distinguishable, or that clump in shuffling.

However, the cards in Shadowrift 2e seem like really nice, high quality cards with a nice finish. I kind of hate to sleeve them as they have a really nice tactile feel as is.

Anyone have comments on how much wear you see on cards like this? Any thoughts on whether or not to sleeve?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I generally prefer to sleeve deckbuilders, on the grounds that:

A) very small decks (15 cards and less, for example) are easier to shuffle while sleeved than to shuffle normally while unsleeved.

B) cards get shuffled a lot, which results in cards getting worn quickly.

C) Some cards are used every game while some cards are only used occasionally. The cards used every game tend to wear much faster, resulting in cards that are easily distinguishable, or that clump in shuffling.

However, the cards in Shadowrift 2e seem like really nice, high quality cards with a nice finish. I kind of hate to sleeve them as they have a really nice tactile feel as is.

Anyone have comments on how much wear you see on cards like this? Any thoughts on whether or not to sleeve?

I'll be sleeving mine, mostly because I expect to play it pretty regularly but also so that I can slip in proxy cards for testing upcoming expansions.
...That last part probably doesn't apply to most of my players, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve all my deckbuilders to make them easier to shuffle, handle, and avoid wear.

Additionally, we like to eat and drink while we play, so I like the extra protection from the occasional finger that was recently holding a french fry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
I'm on the fence about sleeving myself. Sleeving is expensive, time-consuming, and this isn't a competitive game (vs. humans), so I'm not too worried if a card gets skuffed up and can be recognized if you look reallll close.

In fact, there's only been one or two times in any game I've played with unsleeved cards where I was able to pick out a certain card because it was marked.

Still, I will probably end up sleeving for this simple fact: it makes shuffling easier. At least for me, I much prefer the 'push' shuffle that's possible with sleeves to the riffle shuffle that's necessary without cards, and riffling your cards repeatedly will wear and tear on them. You could alternatively pile shuffle (which is what I did with my cards in the 1st ed.), but that takes forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the push shuffle! That is often reason enough for me to sleeve, especially if I need to be shuffling a lot (deck builders!) or a lot of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Used some cheap sleeves for 1st edition and would highly recommend it. No wear at all, easy to shuffle/stack/separate. There are shuffles on one or more decks almost every round bar the first (player deck, village, traveller) so it does make a difference. The monster deck only gets shuffled at the start (depending on powers/abilities) so less need for that one... but once you've sleeved one deck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
After playing a half dozen times, I finally started sleeving. The cards did stand up to the basic test, but I could start seeing flaking and edge discoloration. Plus it's made it much easier to shuffle and manage decks. I also like the distinct color backs to manage sorting (we keep finding various cards in the wrong decks - there are a lot of decks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Douglas
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I plan to sleeve the town and hero cards with clear sleeves to make it easier to shuffle. I don't plan to sleeve the monsters or randomizers because those only get shuffled in the beginning and then are set. At least that is my current plan which could change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
douglasiv wrote:
I plan to sleeve the town and hero cards with clear sleeves to make it easier to shuffle. I don't plan to sleeve the monsters or randomizers because those only get shuffled in the beginning and then are set. At least that is my current plan which could change.

"Unsleeved" is a nice distinct visual cue, I'll give you that. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor L
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't generally sleeve cards, but I may do so for this game. Although the cards are decent quality, mine are definitely showing signs of wear after about 10 games. It's not terrible, and if you aren't trying to look for cues, it isn't usually a problem. Only the Hero cards and the Town cards (including Wounds and Corpses) need to be sleeved, but that is most of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
intheory wrote:
I don't generally sleeve cards, but I may do so for this game. Although the cards are decent quality, mine are definitely showing signs of wear after about 10 games. It's not terrible, and if you aren't trying to look for cues, it isn't usually a problem. Only the Hero cards and the Town cards (including Wounds and Corpses) need to be sleeved, but that is most of the cards.

Oh, that is one of the main things I wanted to know. We're pretty gentle on cards, but we also want our games to last a long time and are bugged by visible wear. So if they are showing some wear after 10 games, definitely good to sleeve!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor L
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Oh, that is one of the main things I wanted to know. We're pretty gentle on cards, but we also want our games to last a long time and are bugged by visible wear. So if they are showing some wear after 10 games, definitely good to sleeve!

If visible wear bugs you, you'll probably want to sleeve the cards. The edges of the cards, especially, have lots of white nicks that show up on the dark edges. I estimate that the Town Deck is likely to be shuffled about 10 times in a game, and each hero deck will be slightly less than that. And the decks are usually quite small (between 10 and 25 cards), which makes riffle shuffling harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.