$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One time playing Battlestar Galactica, it got to a point where my Dad or my son was the Cylon. They both, of course, insisted they weren't, but the bad skill cards played on a few occasions led straight to their characters. Also, they both were acting kind of suspicious during the gameplay with their actions and choices. Eventually, the other player and I threw my kid into the Brig, as he was just a bad, bad liar which made him the obvious choice. He remained there the rest of the game. We ended up finishing the game, and the humans won with nary a Cylon to be heard from. Confused, we turned over our loyalty cards...and apparently someone (me) had never put the traitor cards in the loyalty deck. Nobody was lying or being sneaky...just all in our heads. blush

Post up your stories!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harding
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
merely a dingbat pushing little wooden bits around a game board
mbmbmbmbmb
On the fourth and final day of a small "con" I threw for my friends (a long weekend of camping out, gaming all day/night, barbecue, etc), we played our first game of Die Macher. We were into our second or third election when we had a near miss with someone nearly knocking half the board off the table. One of the guys wasn't looking, so when the rest of us started talking about how close we came to picking the game up off the floor, he asked what was up. I proceeded to recreate the near miss...except that I followed through a little too much, and actually knocked half the board off the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One time, where I used to live, I showed up at game night at my local game store. A group of people were there and had a game of Munchkin going, and they asked me to join them. And I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Bennett
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
We have a few funny ones from Betrayal at House on the Hill. It seems to lend itself well to hilarious situations!

So my husband and I were playing it with a friend. We're all exploring the house, having a good time. I manage to find a Spear, and my husband makes away with a Blood Dagger, and a Doctor's Bag. Our friend however, is stuck in the basement, trying to get across this stupid chasm so he can search these skeletons and maybe find some goodies. He keeps rolling every turn to try and cross this chasm, and the dice just will NOT let him go across it!

This continued for 4 or 5 turns where he just stood at one side of this chasm, staring longingly across at these skeletons, when either I or my husband trigger the haunt. So it turns out our friend is the betrayer, and he's let vicious cannibal freaks into the house! There's some kidnapped people on the upper floor we have to rescue to win, while avoiding being eaten by the cannibal freaks.

My husband intercepts the cannibal freaks at the foot of the stairs, and proceeds to just wreck them. With the blood dagger, he can take damage to deal extra damage, and then he simply uses the doctors bag to heal back to full health afterwards. He pretty much has things in hand, but I'm on my way to help with my spear.

So, as the betrayer, our friend no longer has to roll to get across rooms, so he finally rushes across the bridge to search these skeletons. He manages to successfully search and gets the Bell as his item. In glee, he decides to ring it, which lets you move another player a certain number of steps towards you. He chooses me, because I'm closest, and moves me as close to him as he can with the intention of killing me. So my turn is next, and he's moved me just close enough for me to run down the stairs and attack him- and I proceed to one shot him with my spear. Poor guy!

TL;DR- Our friend spends the whole game of Betrayal at house on the hill trying to get loot from skeletons, becomes the traitor, finally gets his loot, then uses it to get himself one shot.

We had another one where my brother in law was the traitor, and let a bunch of bats in the house. The bats ATE him, but we didn't have any of the rooms needed for any of the bats to actually spawn IN the house, so we just waltzed to the room needed for the solution and won. He's never lived down being eaten by bats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
^ Gotta love Betrayal@HOTH...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I told this once already in the Tales of the Arabian Nights forum but I'll share it again because it was glorious.

I decided that my character was a thief. Every time the rob or steal option was available I would do just that.

On my very first turn I meet a beggar and of course I decided to rob him. Roll the dice, paragraph x, +/- 1 (can't remember) Turns out that the beggar was a magician in disguise. He wasn't happy. He turned me into a pomegranate and made me explode, spreading my fruit all over the street. Then he transformed himself into a chicken and ate the fruit. I haven't robbed any beggars since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently, I played a game of Age of Steam with a friend. For those who don't know the game: in AoS you start the game with 0 income, some money and some stuff to pay for at the end of the turn. If you can't pay, your income drops and if your income ever goes negative, you lose due to bankruptcy. Bankruptcy hardly ever actually happens, since it's easy to plan ahead enough to avoid it, but the threat is real.

So, on my first turn, I spend all but two of my starting dollars building track, preparing for the future. I even upgrade my locomotive (which will cost me an extra dollar at the end of the turn) to prepare for my wicked network that I'll soon have to service. I don't mind that I can't deliver any goods this turn, giving me no income yet, I'm thinking long-term here!
So by the end of the turn, I have to pay up. With two dollars left in hand and four to pay, that'll cost me two income. But wait, my income is 0.

Oops. Shortest AoS game I had so far, and ashamed that I allowed myself to be so distracted that this happened!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With 5 other players I played Fief: France 1429 with all the expansions. The game was very slow, with the AP-prone player asking a lot of "what if ..." questions, with a lot of "give me the rule, I have to check something".
At a point I spent 4 coins for the mercenaries in order to defeat the "camper" who was sitting in the central spot with the fastest hero (and so was a threat for anyone ...).
As the game was so sloooow that when attacking I forgot my mercenaries (that I had bought in the same turn but maybe 30 minutes earlier) ... and lost the battle ... and realize that a little latter ... and was quite angry at myself and the player dragging the game ...

So: the game was long, some expansions seem to had too much luck/asymetry, we had too much new rules, a too long "cold war" play ... and a friend and I decided not to play this game again for a long time (he even said "I don't want to hear about this game anymore !").

Maybe MIL (1049) will become our "better Fief".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SNACKTASTROPHE: When Games + Food = Big Fat Man-Tears

I never knew THIS side until we played...

(Sadly, Balthus Dire's Great Gaming Stories is gone again.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Huber Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brunnstag wrote:
We have a few funny ones from Betrayal at House on the Hill. It seems to lend itself well to hilarious situations!

It certainly does!

Fortunately this has only happened once, but we managed to start the haunt maybe 5-10 minutes into the game. It was the very first haunt roll, so we all said "Don't roll a zero!" Naturally, it happens. The group was dead silent due to disbelief. And with a limited amount of rooms explored, the betrayer managed to easily win on their first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Howe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Deception: Murder in Hong Kong with three other couples (8P game). After the first game, one of the players wanted to be the Forensic Scientist, we usually play enough rounds of this game so everyone has the Forensic Scientist at least once. Turns out, the wife of the couple was the Forensic Scientist and her husband was the Murderer, but being a new player she asked everyone to open their eyes and forgot to tell the Accomplice to open his eyes along with the Murderer. Within 10 seconds of everyone opening their eyes, the Murderer is secretly texting the Forensic Scientist "Who's my Accomplice?!". She gets the text and announces "Oh! Stop! Everyone close your eyes again!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
We're playing "the GAME" here, whereupon the mere 'mention' for THIS results in y`all: LOSE! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my copy of Descent for the first time last weekend, and we got through the "tutorial level" called First Blood. The objective, as the Overlord, is to get five of my goblin dudes off the map before my big bad gets killed. That gets me five fatigue tokens, and is my winning condition. I was playing against four heroes who kept bottle necking an area to keep my guys from passing through. You can move through friendly players, but not enemy players. I ended up moving my big bad away from that area as bait, so I could hopefully free the clogged map section. My guy was getting hammered, and just a few rounds before the session ended, I realized the goblin has a special power...HE CAN MOVE THROUGH ENEMIES!!! I SPENT THE WHOLE FVC%&#! GAME NOT MOVING MY GUYS CORRECTLY BECAUSE I DIDN'T READ THE POWER ON THE MONSTER CARD!!!

Epilogue: I got my last goblin within five spaces of the exit (his movement distance) by the end of my turn, then it was the heroes turns. They had a familiar out, so there were five attacks against my big bad with about five hit points left. I survived through four attacks, and with the last roll of the dice, ended at one hit point which allowed me to win the game as the Overloard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
That moment when my 6 year old daughter corrects me on the rules in front of a group of adults. She's too smart for her own good.

Multiple times.

On the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.