Subject: Played it Loved It!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tex Hammack

Spanish Fork
Utah
msg tools
mb
I have liked Exodus for a long time now. After having play the Event Horizon expansion I like it even more.

Event Horizon has a bunch of new stuff which I am not going to get into most of. It has more tech to research which is nice considering how much more involvement you have with the Aliens.

Yeah the Aliens in this are really beefed up. The encounter deck now has a scaling mechanic depending on the turns in the game. I like this aspect a lot because in the late game of Exodus the Aliens are easily over powered.

The most different aspect which I fell in love with though is Co-Op!!!
I like political intrigue a lot and Exodus and Event Horizon really cater to the depth of that. But Co-Op mode is really where this game Takes off. Sometimes political games get too intense and almost personal. With Co-Op though you get a different type of intensity as it is a "Hack 'n' Slash" Each of the Races still maintain their flavor and advantages with only a few techs omitted.

For instance Co-Op is not a point based system so Techs that help you in that aspect are null and void excepting the discount they provide for researching them. Missiles are also out.

From Turn one it is the players job to explore planets and get resources as fast and safely as you can to build and upgrade ships while the Aliens are immediately upon you. As you explore the planets other alien races may try to oppose you as you attempt to harvest their planets for your gain. So you can get hit on 2 fronts which requires a lot of tactics to balance out your risk/reward.

Ultimately you and your allied races are attempting to wipe out these invaders as they are trying to take over your galaxy for their benefit...or amusement. You only have so many turns in the game so hitting the Alien base hard and fast as possible is a must. Fair warning though the Alien base has defenses and if you fail in your first assault it will begin to heal.

Co-OP mode has an awesome ebb and flow where all of a sudden you feel you have the game won and the dice say otherwise. Yes dice still dictate a lot of what goes on to the opposite is also true. That IMO is not a detraction at all but keeps in theme with the Spirit of Exodus as a whole.

If you have Exodus and Extinction this expansion will do justice and a whole lot more. If I had to pic 1 expansion to go with, while Extinction adds a lot of parts, I would pick Event Horizon because it adds a lot of game. That is just me personally but this franchise as a whole is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the hype, like the wait wouldn't be hard enough as it is... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about solo play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tex Hammack

Spanish Fork
Utah
msg tools
mb
I have not had the opportunity to play it or inquire as to it's existence but I can do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a solo version of the first scenario, as far as I've seen sofar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. The Centaurian Stronghold scenario offers a new challenge mode for playing the game. It is playable with 1-6 players. The solo setup essentially just gives you the board layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.