BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: To those 205 brave souls who voted Monopoly a '10' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremiah Cook
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I want to hear from you. Tell us your side of the (very lopsided and not in your favor) story. Forget the haters, let's hear from all the monopoly lovers out there! This is your thread....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd ask the same to the people who gave Scythe or Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 a 10, or any game I dislike. Maybe they simply enjoy the game. As to the why, does it really matter?

I've never played Monopoly using non-house rules. Had no clue properties get auctioned off if the initial person landing on the property doesn't pick it up. I can see the game being mildly fun because of the auction aspect alone. Instead of total lucksack rolling, you can use that to your advantage and it changes the complexity of the game.

In my opinion, again without having played with proper rules, I think house rules killed this game into oblivion. I'm mildly curious to give it a whirl with proper rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it since the late seventies, but if somebody I like to game with asked us to play it with him/her, I'd give it another whirl. Wasn't all that bad. Got some good memories from back then, helped no doubt by us playing by the actual rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Haven't played it since the late seventies, but if somebody I like to game with asked us to play it with him/her, I'd give it another whirl. Wasn't all that bad. Got some good memories from back then, helped no doubt by us playing by the actual rules.

Same here... I have nice memories of playing with my brother and sister, and don't remember ever getting into an argument over the game. We played by the rules (except for auctions, which I only recently learned about), kept negotiations in-game, and usually called it soon after the first person was eliminated. While some of my memories may be rose-coloured nostalgia, I still think if people actually played by the rules, Monopoly would not have the rep it does.

We did have one house-rule that extended the game, though: we used Micro Machine cars instead of the usual thimble, etc.; once each game, you were allowed to trade in your car for $50 and replace it with a regular playing piece, a MARK OF SHAME meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
Hmmmm I think the outside world would raise an eyebrow, that we do not see fit to rank one of the most famous, best selling, most loved games on the planet, in the top 10,000 games of all time.

It must look absurd to many an outsider!

I am mixed. The game is part of my history and why I am here today, and my son wants to play it this weekend. I will be the lucky old boot if it's available and I will appreciate the free parking, having been fleeced on holiday to the tune of Blood Rage plus expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave it a ten to make up for all those people who have rated it when then have never played it by the right rules.
I also always enjoy playing it. Realistically, I'd probably give it a seven.
I also use it as my threshold game. Any game I enjoy less than Monopoly I won't play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carterbeatsthedevil wrote:
I want to hear from you. Tell us your side of the (very lopsided and not in your favor) story. Forget the haters, let's hear from all the monopoly lovers out there! This is your thread....

What's wrong with liking what they like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theaty Hannington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designers intended it to be anti-capitalism propaganda. Based on most people's hatred for the game, it's very effective at convincing people that capitalism is not fun. Therefore, it's an effective design.

This is based on the premise that games need not be fun to be engaging. Or some basic mystification around the stress-fun axis.

I personally don't understand the hate, but it also doesn't rile me up. The auction-dice interaction in the first few circuits are a really interesting mechanic to me. I can buy that property at auction now, but what if I roll a six and am unable to stop on one of its sibling properties? And then the rest of the game is managing the often disaster the first few turns were.

Play what you like and like what you play. When people start looking down on you because of what you like to play, find new people to play with, those people ain't worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't mind the versions with a neat theme, even if its pasted on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I USED TO be a big fan of Monopoly when I was younger, though we never used the 'auction' rule. Gladly, I was also never a fan of the 'Free Parking' variant, so that helped. But if not for that game, I probably never would have never been interested in board games at all. But looking to find the 'next Monopoly' is what exposed me to games like Acquire and Stocks and Bonds, then some Avalon Hill games and eventually (years later) to many of the games featured on this site.

I don't think I'd EVER give Monopoly a 10 (even when I was a big fan), but if others do, then so what? Many of the games I still enjoy (Puerto Rico, Dominion, etc.) are beginning to receive negativity by some gamers lately. Will they someday join Monopoly at the whipping post???

My grandson still likes several different versions of Monopoly, so if he wants to play, how can I say no??? But it's also served as a platform for me to introduce him to OTHER games like King of Tokyo, Smash-up, Kingsburg, Dominion, Yomi, and Star Realms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I have not played the game since about 1968 I still do have fond memories of the game and it played no small part in my evolution towards being a lifelong board gamer. The history of the game alone is interesting from The Landlords Game by Elizabeth Magie all the way to the present. On influence on the genre alone it belongs in some sort of top ten. We never played by anything but the rules provided in the game because my Father was a stickler for "RULES ARE RULES!" I personally don't see it as Capitalist Propaganda but more as a cautionary tale of the dangers of predatory capitalism, which considering the time period of when it came out the public was getting a first hand lesson. If you enjoy it play it and don't worry about what other people think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
Monopoly is a stable game if played by the intended rules. The problem with Monopoly is that most people ignore the auctions which are extremely important to make the game go faster and is the part of the game where skill is involved. I usually always create auctions and find the point in which I would benefit from the other players burning out their wallet in earl game vs. getting the property myself. Sometimes I bluff other people's auctions making it seem like I really need the property and making them buy them for far more than they are worth. That way I can ensure getting the more attractive plots for a great discount a couple of turns later which sets me up extremely well for the future.

This is only one of many strategies though, and it can change. Sometimes I focus on early properties to get early, but bad, hotels to punish players strongly for overextending their late game, and sometimes I do something inbetween. The thing is, that if played this way the game will snowball faster than it does if the auction rules are not played, and the game will rarely take over two hours, sometimes, extremely rarely, it will take 3 or 4. It is still more playtime than the game is worth though, which means that it is hardly an 10, 9, or even an 8 for me. But I could clearly see some people loving this enough to give it a 10 if they play with people sensitive enough to call it a day when the probability of someone being a winner is greater than 80%, which should happen at the one hour mark almost all the time when playing with auctions.

Monopoly is in no way deserving of its bad reputation, it is bad house ruling that destroys it. However, I would not personally say it is a great game, but it is a fully acceptable one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
In defense of Monopoly, it was created for a different time. Just as our culture evolves, so do gaming tastes.

Monopoly was created at a time without television in the home. People enjoyed spending long afternoons socializing around the game table. Our world contains more distractions and our attention spans are shorter. Monopoly's not as much a bad game as it's for a different set of tastes.

It was also created at a time when disdain for economic freedom prevailed, from the president on down, and, as someone earlier said, its intent was to be used as anti-capitalist propaganda. Just as Raggedy Ann was once a spokesman against vaccines, the original significance was forgotten over time.

So many of us don't like Monopoly today (I'm a novice here on BGG and thought I was alone until seeing this thread), but it's a game rich in historical and cultural significance that brought joy to many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
The auction rule forces you to play the game very differently. You need to maintain a reserve of money or other players can nuke you early on.

My boys just love Monopoloy. Think it's one of the best games in the house.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

You need some more games in that house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I just love the diversity of people on this site. I will never play monopoly again but I love the idea that there are people on this site (which I assume are a little more educated about boardgames then the average non-BGG user) that vote Monopoly a 10 while scoring Twilight Struggle a 2.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Twilight Struggle was ever worth it's no 1 spot but I thought that everyone that played both Monopoly and TS had to agree that TS is leagues better then Monopoly.

But you can't argue about taste I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
They'll still be knocking out copies of Monopoly long after all the titles in the Hotness are out of print.

Monopoly might not possess all the intricacies of many modern games but what it does have is mass appeal. The rules are easy to learn and it doesn't overwhelm players with lots of choices.

Played as it should be, with auctions, it's fun and doesn't last for hours. If you don't play with auctions then you're not really playing the game as intended and have no right to knock it.

There's a whole world of gamers outside of BGG who don't take gaming too seriously. All they want to do is sit down with friends once in while and use a game to enhance a social get together. These players will gravitate towards Monopoly because almost everyone knows it and those that don't soon pick it up.

Yes Monopoly might be behind modern games in terms of clever devices, but it's streets ahead in terms accessibility and that's why it earns a 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't enjoy playing Monopoly. Back in the 70s I would have rated it a 7. But now a 5. There are worse games.

1. The Landlords game (on which Monopoly is based) was an anticapitalism propaganda game. It clearly shows the players that capitalism does not lead to everyone getting richer. Rather it shows that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer in the long run.

2. The Landlords game came out in the early 1900s in a period of great inequality in the USA. In the 1930s Monopoly hit the scene and had big sales. This formed a generation (or two or three) of kids to know in their hearts that capitalism is not fair. Even with handouts like "free parking" the rich get richer (only it takes longer). Unions, taxes, a growing government, a growing middle class all lead to a decrease in inequality in the USA by the 1970s.

3. Then came an explosion of games that were more fun that Monopoly. In particular Eurogames where each player builds their own economic engine. Each player becomes rich and the winner is the player who becomes richer than the others. BUT they all become rich. This gives capitalism a better reputation. So now the impediments of capitalism have been reduced (less unionism, less taxes, less government regulations, etc) so inequality has grown again in the last 35 years.

4. Maybe it is time for a Monopoly revival. Or some other funner game that has the same propaganda effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave P wrote:
They'll still be knocking out copies of Monopoly long after all the titles in the Hotness are out of print.

Monopoly might not possess all the intricacies of many modern games but what it does have is mass appeal. The rules are easy to learn and it doesn't overwhelm players with lots of choices.

Played as it should be, with auctions, it's fun and doesn't last for hours. If you don't play with auctions then you're not really playing the game as intended and have no right to knock it.

There's a whole world of gamers outside of BGG who don't take gaming too seriously. All they want to do is sit down with friends once in while and use a game to enhance a social get together. These players will gravitate towards Monopoly because almost everyone knows it and those that don't soon pick it up.

Yes Monopoly might be behind modern games in terms of clever devices, but it's streets ahead in terms accessibility and that's why it earns a 10.

After checking out your profile, reading your threads and posts I'm happy to dismiss your comment.

There are plenty of modern games that are more accessible then Monopoly and have better gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Destry
msg tools
Tim, a deck of cards, or Forbidden Island (which a lot of adults find boring compared to monopoly) are the only games you usually find in stores that dont sell boardgames.

What easy to learn, "fun" game do Target, Walmart, Toys R Us, etc all have in common? It aint the top 10 games on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
givemeInfoplease wrote:
Tim, a deck of cards, or Forbidden Island (which a lot of adults find boring compared to monopoly) are the only games you usually find in stores that dont sell boardgames.

What easy to learn, "fun" game do Target, Walmart, Toys R Us, etc all have in common? It aint the top 10 games on BGG.

I understand that he doesn't mean 'accessibility' in the way of people having access to actually buy the game. I'm thinking he means it in the way the game is accessible for people that don't usually play games to play and understand the game.

In your case, he is probably (and unfortunatly) right. In my case he is wrong.

edit: If he means it the way you do, he's claiming that because a game is easily found in stores it deserves a 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mohaihai wrote:
After checking out your profile, reading your threads and posts I'm happy to dismiss your comment.

I won't be losing any sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohaihai wrote:
That's just your preference. Of course you can! As demonstrated by the fact I'm arguing against your preference (or "taste").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thunkd wrote:
Mohaihai wrote:
That's just your preference. Of course you can! As demonstrated by the fact I'm arguing against your preference (or "taste").

Are you arguing my taste about not being able to argue about taste?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
skutsch wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

You need some more games in that house.

There's a few to choose from.

Monopoly is a really good example of a wide open rule set. Most modern games are more channeled and limiting. It's not my favorite but it's a game that a lot of people can tell stories about, because crazy things can happen in Monopoly and personalities are very much part of the game.

Princes of the Renaissance doesn't generate stories. There's no room in its rule set for particularly memorable events. It's a good, dependable, play for people that don't want too much excitement in their lives. That was the model for modern gaming from about 1996 until 2010 or so, when games that were dependable were considered best. That's changed in recent years, but still not to the extent of the 20th century.

I give Monopoly an 8, which is much higher than other people here. What Monopoly is is an easy-to-teach game that doesn't have very many rules to get in your way. Have a property? Do whatever the heck you want with it. I've seen people auction off properties, raffle off properties, sell futures on them, the works. The rules don't prevent much of anything, so the game can go whichever way the players want it to. Some people really like that kind of play.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.