Subject: Common pitfalls? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned this game about a year ago and played it just the once. I recently bought it and will be teaching it tonight. Of course I'll read through the rulebook again first, but are there any common things that people ask or miss when playing their first time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woods
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of things we forget sometimes...

1) You can use 3 cubes of the same color to take any action space that does not have a cube available (the Well).

2) You can use coins as a cube of any color.

3) You can't take the harvest grain action if you don't have a family member at your farm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This only comes up about once every three or four games, but you do have to have a person on your home/player board in order to take the grain action. If you've trained everyone to do other things, there's no one on the farm to harvest. Another issue that occasionally matters is that when players buy meeples out of the church bag, you ask them in turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
• When traveling, you spend your wagon. You don't get to keep it.
• Family members in the church bag cannot die.
• In the council chamber, you don't have to spend anything to activate a family member already there. You only pay when you want to move them up.
• You can use the family action to move a family member on the board to your farm.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thuc Nguyen-Pham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. when you move up in the council, you ALSO take the bonus

2. when you are the first to take the ring in the 1st stage of council chamber (become the first player of next round), no chance for anybody in this turn to take it from you, even if they go later in the 1st stage.

3. the market ends when all customers are served or all players have passed (meaning you can sell several times per market)

enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fusilier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tuethuc wrote:
3. the market ends when all customers are served or all players have passed (meaning you can sell several times per market)

Two things we messed up about the market the first time:

- The customer tiles in the stalls don't replenish until after the market day is complete, so if you make multiple sales, you can run out of available tiles.

- You still have to pay the cube & time for each additional sale you make in a single market day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woods
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And another thing about the council chamber...

You can take a council action and choose not to advance forward, but simply get the reward for the level you're at (or any earlier level).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did already say that, albeit with different wording:

Quote:
In the council chamber, you don't have to spend anything to activate a family member already there. You only pay when you want to move them up.

I like your wording better though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Crafts (Yellow Action)

colonist You DO NOT have to place a family member to buy a goods token with cubes.

colonist On the same turn as spending time to train a family member, you may then spend time to get the goods

colonist Unlike any other worker placement games, multiple family members may occupy the same craft, even those of the same family.

colonist The only craft that is different from all this is turning 2 grain into 2 coins: Cannot purchase with cubes, you must spend 2 time to use your grain tokens but no training is necessary (In other words, you cannot place a family on the grain mill)

colonist colonist With Village: Inn in play, the brew house follows normal craft rules, but you gain 2 Beer Barrel Tokens instead of just 1, unlike the other placement crafts (only gain 1 of the respective goods token)

For teacher's aid, for the travel track, I put the discs on the intersection that the players reach when not all of the players have reached that destination. Once all players do, they get stacked in the reward circle. It's better than putting the discs on the circle as it will lead to less fiddling with the discs if a player forgets what reward a location will grant (vs having to move/lift the stack of discs if a player doesn't feel like asking)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! As far as I know so far, we did everything right. A couple clarifications:

1. Is it right that there's no limit to placing duplicate family members in any 1 spot? It seems rare that you would ever want 2 family members on the same craft building, but I can see edge cases where it could matter. I'm aware that if you travel to the same location a second time, you will not receive the bonus again.

2. Our game only lasted 4 rounds, with the winning score being less than 50 points. Is this common? It was partly because I got an early lead in score, but with less infrastructure to score points-per-turn, so I purposefully wasted as much time as I could to kill people and end the game. (It ended by the graveyard filling up, 3 player game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
Thanks everyone! As far as I know so far, we did everything right. A couple clarifications:

1. Is it right that there's no limit to placing duplicate family members in any 1 spot? It seems rare that you would ever want 2 family members on the same craft building, but I can see edge cases where it could matter. I'm aware that if you travel to the same location a second time, you will not receive the bonus again.

That's correct. According to the rules: "There is no limit to how many family members, regardless of colors, may be on any building." So you may put any number of family members on the same spot in the Crafts area. It's actually never happened in a game I've played.

GendoIkari_82 wrote:
2. Our game only lasted 4 rounds, with the winning score being less than 50 points. Is this common? It was partly because I got an early lead in score, but with less infrastructure to score points-per-turn, so I purposefully wasted as much time as I could to kill people and end the game. (It ended by the graveyard filling up, 3 player game).

That all sounds about right for a first/second game. Two-player games typically last 4-5 rounds for me. I can't remember scores but I think they're in the 60s typically (maybe low 70s). Games I'm in rarely end with the anonymous graves filling up. We're all usually jockeying for spaces in the chronicle. Controlling the game end is definitely a strategy; I just usually try to pair it with getting family members in the chronicle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1: Yep, it is fine to have multiple family members on the same craft. As for the edge case you mentioned, one that would come to mind is to put a second family member where an older generation family member is there when you're close to having to pass away a worker due to the time track and the crafter is the next to go. Though, that made more sense in my head.

#2: It does depend on how many black cubes come out per round and lower player counts. First 2p game went 4 rounds and second went 5 due to better pulling, but both games ended with final scores 40-50 points. Apparently, expansions give more avenues to score (Inn: Some of the cards will give extra VP sometime during the game. Port: Redoes the travel system, giving new ways to score points there and the Life Goals "mini Expansion" (module) can net you 0, 5, 8, or 13 bonus points throughout the game by fulfilling hidden objectives on the cards [Mostly collecting sets of cubes and/or tokens with some exceptions])

As for me, Lee, both games I played had one of each end game happen except for during market day. First game was to Anon. Graves and Second was Chronicle filling up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.