Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love this game, there have been instances where the thief really bides their time by moving back and forth in a distant room while the detectives have nothing to work with. Specter Ops plays extremely similarly, except it has a turn limit of 40 before the facility is locked down and the Agent loses.

Although I think 40 would be too long for this game, I think a turn limit would be the exact thing this game needs. The number that came to my mind was 25, and this total could be increased if more than 3 paintings were stolen to "buy" more time. The sun is rising, so that thief has to get out fast, right? What would be the best turn limit? How should it be tracked? Let me know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The original prototype actually had a Turn Track. 20 turns was the limit.
When Milton Bradley's R&D team had it for a couple of months they did away with it. When they passed on the game and returned all the prototypes the game was streamlined more for a larger market and things like Turn Tracks make a game "look" more complicated. Parker Bros. took the streamlining even further when they got hold of it.
From day one a thief biding his time was a common strategy for good or ill. It's up to the team of Characters to come up with a cooperative plan and hunt him down. A thief has to by the rules keep moving. He cannot just sit in a space. He at least has to move one. If he's hiding in a room, well, go and search the rooms and/or place your cameras to keep an eye on the far flung corners. The Motion Detector will eventually narrow down which room he might be hiding in if you roll well enough. Though, some players will use the strategy of hiding for long periods of time, it didn't seem to be a real problem in test plays. One test player in particular did this every game. (And still does when we play today.) Yes, it's frustrating but the Thief's job is to confuse and annoy the team looking for him. I would work on your setup and team strategies. Half the game is Character planning and execution.
Hope this helped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response! I guess I just need to step up my game! Great point about the Motion Detector. I'll still try the turn track to see how it feels, but setup is something that is very important, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe a 25-turn limit sounds reasonable, at which point the thief loses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.