Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: How to open the missions envelopes minimizing the damage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Remo Galvan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like the components, missions envelopes included

Suggestions about the best way to open them ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a sharp letter opener to slit open the top on the envelope. Just make sure you don't cut the book when doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On all but one of them I've been able to gently unpeel the flap at the top of the envelope with minimal tearing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remo Galvan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
I used a sharp letter opener to slit open the top on the envelope. Just make sure you don't cut the book when doing it.

Yeah, after fiddling with the envelope for about 10 seconds (I'm impatient, sometimes) I decided to do the same. Worked like a charm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny kessel
Netherlands
Breda
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Has anybody tried to steam them open?
I mean, I have had the same problems with the envelopes... first trying to open them gently... doesn't work, so now I'm using a knife to open as well... but would rather keep the envelopes more intact

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, they look like Christmas presents. When I open them, I act like a hyperactive 5-year old on Christmas morning.

I admire the restraint exhibited by the people in this thread. I salute you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Chan
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
egg_citizen wrote:
Has anybody tried to steam them open?
I mean, I have had the same problems with the envelopes... first trying to open them gently... doesn't work, so now I'm using a knife to open as well... but would rather keep the envelopes more intact

I was going to suggest steaming the envelops which should work but I haven't tried it myself.

If the envelop was actually wax sealed with the "Rumble's Intense Training of Programmable Lab Suit's" logo, I will defintely be using a knife to cut open the top.

And... cutting it open would add some authenticity to passing a mission

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just peel them open as the glue isn't that strong. No tearing required. I could easily glue them back down and they would look like new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried both the steaming method and the put in a bag and stick it in the freezer method, but the glue held for me.

Probably my only (very tiny) component complaint - I wanted to keep the envelopes pristine because I thought opening them would add a nice bit of ceremony for the different groups I would play it with from mission to mission. I wish they didn't go full on with the glue on the envelopes and just either left them open or dabbed them with glue in just the middle to easily let them open. Ah well

I think a clean cut on the top is the way to go if your glue job is as tough as mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario T
msg tools
Tried to carefully peel it open with no success (glue was too strong) and then with a hair dryer, also without success. After that I took and X-acto knife, put it between the flap and envelope, then just sliced upwards.

I agree that just closing the envelopes without gluing them would have been better (though I guess them being glued prevents some impatient people from peeking ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.