Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I’m hoping you can help me set up a game of BSG for this weekend. I’m hoping you could help me out with three things if you would be so kind.

I currently have Base + Pegasus + Exodus. What would you say is the best combination of these expansions and all the various options within them?
· I’m expecting 7 people to come play, but I’ve never tried this many people with considering all 3 expansions. As far as the players go, 5 of them have played a few games before, and the other two could pick things up pretty quickly.

Also, are there any suggested tweaks to make as well to make it more enjoyable?
· For example, I’ve noticed humans winning more often lately. And with the Sympathizer (which the 7 player game I understand would have), often the fuel determines which way this goes. But since fuel is pretty well tied to game length, the Sympathizer is often picked regardless of how the game is really going (could be really good in all other categories). It seems more often than not, it will go human, which makes it even harder for Cylons to win. So maybe shifting the red fuel number by 1? Or just keep it? I don’t know, some suggestions like that if there are any.

Would your recommendations above change for only 6 people? With that many people, there’s a good enough chance that someone may back out last minute. A contingency plan would be nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sit out of the game and be a moderator/human Rulebook.

Find the antisocial friend that is on his phone all night and have him sit out and play your Wii U.

Play a five player base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CL = Cylon Leader

thebard8 wrote:
Hi All,

Hi

thebard8 wrote:
I’m hoping you can help me set up a game of BSG for this weekend. I’m hoping you could help me out with three things if you would be so kind.

I currently have Base + Pegasus + Exodus. What would you say is the best combination of these expansions and all the various options within them?

The game's 'technically' possible with 7p if you use CL from Pegasus.
There's stuff going on between turns, but having less skill cards means there will still be more down time overall. Generally preferred to NOT do this, but I have been in groups where folks were OK with this

Let an experienced player play as the CL.

Exodus is optional at this point, although the extra stuff would provide for more variety. If you don't play a lot and can't afford to "ramp up" to the extra stuff, may as well include Exodus.

thebard8 wrote:
· I’m expecting 7 people to come play, but I’ve never tried this many people with considering all 3 expansions. As far as the players go, 5 of them have played a few games before, and the other two could pick things up pretty quickly.

With Daybreak as well, use the rules there for 7p. CL uses Motives instead of Pegasus' Agenda cards, so should make for a more intriguing game. Same here, let an experienced player play as the CL.

thebard8 wrote:
Also, are there any suggested tweaks to make as well to make it more enjoyable?

Use Pegasus Investigative Committees even if you're not going to use that set.

thebard8 wrote:
· For example, I’ve noticed humans winning more often lately. And with the Sympathizer (which the 7 player game I understand would have), often the fuel determines which way this goes. But since fuel is pretty well tied to game length, the Sympathizer is often picked regardless of how the game is really going (could be really good in all other categories). It seems more often than not, it will go human, which makes it even harder for Cylons to win. So maybe shifting the red fuel number by 1? Or just keep it? I don’t know, some suggestions like that if there are any.
I'd say just leave it. Yes, I'm still one of those people where winning and losing does affect my enjoyment of games, but with a game like BSG, they kind of do need to reach that state on their own how "it's more about the journey than the destination".

This forum has balanced countless variables in the game, but in the end, the "new player factor", the "human factor", the way card draws and die rolls work out means all of those variants, especially ones that take effort and time to set up may be for naught.

thebard8 wrote:
Would your recommendations above change for only 6 people? With that many people, there’s a good enough chance that someone may back out last minute. A contingency plan would be nice!
With Daybreak, use CL and no Mutineer (as part of the rulebook)

Without Daybreak, consider using Pegasus' CL, or Fantasy Flight Games' official no sympathizer variant. Do a search on "Fantasy Flight Battlestar Galactica" and check out the Support section.

We've had this happen in reverse for a public BSG game night...
It was 18 people on 3 games. 3 people had to bail. However, one of the people who bailed had the 3rd copy, so it was down to 15 people to 2 games. One person volunteered to sit out (since she had homework to do anyways), but the 15th person ended up bailing, so we did 2 7p games. We strive for no more than 6p, but sometimes, the "crisis deck" doesn't go your way nice thing here... everyone got another game under their belt so that next time, they're more experienced than before

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would secretly hope that two of them get sick and play with five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone so far, especially ackmondual for your suggestions.

I've already invited 7 people to play the game so I can't really change that...

We don't get to play very often so I'm thinking of including some of the extra stuff. I've heard that the Cylon Fleet Board and Pegasus together make for a good combination. I don't plan on buying Daybreak so I wouldn't use those.

So maybe CL + CFB + Pegasus board + Peg Investigative Committees? What about conflicted loyalties, worth putting in?

Or should I just do something totally different? I've heard that 3 cylons and 4 humans works pretty well with just the base game. Might have the benefit of being more simple. It's been awhile since I've played the expansions (a couple years, we don't play very often...) Maybe consider stacking the deck so the 3rd cylon always comes out 2nd half of the game.

I don't know what to do....so many options...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebard8 wrote:
I don't plan on buying Daybreak so I wouldn't use those.

Buy Daybreak.

Seriously.

Failing that, Pegasus does come with official 7-player rules, so you can just use those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Daybreak is great for its Cylon Leader Motives even/especially without using the Earth objective (i.e. still flying to Kobol).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebard8 wrote:
We don't get to play very often so I'm thinking of including some of the extra stuff. I've heard that the Cylon Fleet Board and Pegasus together make for a good combination. I don't plan on buying Daybreak so I wouldn't use those.
Rather standard fare when those 2 expansions are used, and it works.

thebard8 wrote:
So maybe CL + CFB + Pegasus board + Peg Investigative Committees? What about conflicted loyalties, worth putting in?

Confl. Loyalties can over-confuse people, but with 5 who've played before, and 2 who pick up things quickly, you COULD put it in. OTOH, leaving it out should still make for a game that's suitable for you. Unfortunately, it's difficult to get reliable feedback from folks who haven't played it before. Especially those new to BSG, so you'll have to gauge this and whatever opinions they have on the matter

thebard8 wrote:
Or should I just do something totally different? I've heard that 3 cylons and 4 humans works pretty well with just the base game. Might have the benefit of being more simple. It's been awhile since I've played the expansions (a couple years, we don't play very often...) Maybe consider stacking the deck so the 3rd cylon always comes out 2nd half of the game.
3 cylons vs. 4 humans will favor cylons without any other tweaks. Even if you stack the 3rd Cylon for post-sleeper. Cylons get too many actions. That's bad no matter what combo of expansions you're using. IIRC, there was feedback on 4 humans vs. 3 cylons for the base game (they had to improvise around component limitations for the Loyalty cards) and it was an uphill battle for the humans.

As "wishy-washy" as either CL can be (Agendas or Motives), I'd stick with that.

thebard8 wrote:
I don't know what to do....so many options...
FWIW, having too many options is always preferable. I've known people who can only play this as little as a few times a year. And even at the ideal 5p can be difficult.

rmsgrey wrote:
thebard8 wrote:
I don't plan on buying Daybreak so I wouldn't use those.

Buy Daybreak.

Seriously.

Failing that, Pegasus does come with official 7-player rules, so you can just use those.
a1bert wrote:
Daybreak is great for its Cylon Leader Motives even/especially without using the Earth objective (i.e. still flying to Kobol).

While I will +1 getting Daybreak, I'm going to have to assume that the "We don't get to play very often" is deemed by the OP to not bother with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some great suggestions so far.

If I do decide to combine Pegasus with CFB, I'm considering not adding the extra "not cylon" card.

I know that this is meant so people won't meta game. But honestly, this group of people won't think of that. Very few have played the expansions and would think of it and I would certainly choose to not meta game. Plus, we only play this once a year or so. I would want to make sure this game isn't the 10% that has only one cylon. It seems, having 2 guaranteed cylons and 1 CL with a hostile agenda would be sufficient. Thoughts?

And yes, I don't plan on buying Daybreak. But if for some reason I did buy Daybreak, solely to have a good 7 player game, what would be the ideal way to play with all 3 expansions available? I would lean towards trying to make it relatively simple for people if there were good options along the "complexity" scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played 7 player PEG+EXO. I would go with CL, CFB and all rules from these two expansions, but use the Kobol objective. I like conflicted loyalties and would include them.

One way of keeping the rules straight would also be to have a look at the Combined Rulebook (on the files page).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebard8 wrote:
And yes, I don't plan on buying Daybreak. But if for some reason I did buy Daybreak, solely to have a good 7 player game, what would be the ideal way to play with all 3 expansions available? I would lean towards trying to make it relatively simple for people if there were good options along the "complexity" scale.

Official mix is 1 CL, 2 Cylons, 1 Mutineer. Daybreak includes more and meatier Cylon Attack Crisis cards, so there's less need for the Cylon Fleet Board - and the Assault Raptors from Daybreak do well to replace the Mk VII Vipers.

The other thing I'd drop in order to keep complexity down is the Pegasus skill cards - both Movement and Reckless add a lot of required explanation for effects that only come up rarely, but could come up at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
We have played 7 player PEG+EXO. I would go with CL, CFB and all rules from these two expansions, but use the Kobol objective. I like conflicted loyalties and would include them.

One way of keeping the rules straight would also be to have a look at the Combined Rulebook (on the files page).

Thanks, this was super helpful to have the combined rulebook, wow! (Hence the geek gold )

This also encouraged me to try all the things you suggested (didn't try conflicted loyalties though). All 7 players really enjoyed our game. It was pretty close (humans were essentially one jump prep space away from jumping to win) but Cylons won in the end. CL won as well. 5 is definaitely preferred but this was a really fun game. Wouldn't try for 7 most of the time, but if I needed to I could make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebard8 wrote:
Mattias wrote:

Thanks, this was super helpful to have the combined rulebook, wow! (Hence the geek gold )

This also encouraged me to try all the things you suggested (didn't try conflicted loyalties though). All 7 players really enjoyed our game. It was pretty close (humans were essentially one jump prep space away from jumping to win) but Cylons won in the end. CL won as well. 5 is definaitely preferred but this was a really fun game. Wouldn't try for 7 most of the time, but if I needed to I could make it work.

I'm happy to hear you liked it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.