Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Snider
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do any of you who are color blind or have friends/family who are have any solutions for how to play Takenoko? I bought it a year ago and just saw it on the shelf and felt a little mad about the whole thing. $41 and I can't really play because I can't distinguish which color is which. I forget because it's been a while, but it uses lots of pinks and greens from what I remember.

Is there a fixed version of Takenoko, like how Days of Wonder did with Ticket to Ride?

The thing is, a lot of people are color blind. Around 8% of men are red/green colorblind so... in board games, computer user interfaces and really ANYTHING that a person needs to use, designers don't use color as the only way to communicate something. They add a symbol, a shape, a word or whatever to make it easy to distinguish that thing regardless of color. It almost always makes it easier for people who aren't color blind too.

I own like 600+ games and I'm red/green color blind. It's been years since color was a problem for me in any game so I was really surprised by Takenoko. Most game designers have kind of leveled up their awareness and quality and understand how to do a strong design that's easy to use for most anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm not color blind, so I'm not sure what you can or can not see. However, I was thinking, could you use a label maker and clear labels to make either lettering or maybe a symbol like some games use for color blind players?

I doubt they will fix the issue as practically every thing in the game would have to be either reprinted or repainted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Enns
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
I'm not color blind, so I'm not sure what you can or can not see. However, I was thinking, could you use a label maker and clear labels to make either lettering or maybe a symbol like some games use for color blind players?

I doubt they will fix the issue as practically every thing in the game would have to be either reprinted or repainted.

I'm Red Green color blind and I'll mark with a sharpie if I need to. Games like Golden Horn ( I believe it is called ) are totally unplayable for me. I tried playing Tokaido and although that game is beautiful it is unplayable for me ( tasks are different colors and a picture, picture is so small though that it takes too much time for me to figure it out though as I need a magnifying glass to see the image clearly )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Helsby
Australia
Bedford
WA
flag msg tools
mb
I'm red-green colour blind Eric and agree with everything you've said here. Takenoko is one of the most difficult games for me to play due to the colour choices.

I'm either going to mark or put stickers on it, or otherwise sell it on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziga Zupanek
Slovenia
Domžale
flag msg tools
I can't distinguish between yellow and green bamboos on cards. This is especially troublesome with gardner objectives. In such situation I cover most of the card and show it to another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm red green colorblind (moderately deuton), although fortunately I'm able to distinguish between colors in this game if I concentrate hard enough. You could try going through the cards and tiles and marking them up. Not sure what else you could so.

TBH though there are so many other great games out there that Takenoko just isn't a big deal to skip if you had to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm moderately colour-blind but I only find Takenoko difficult in poor lighting - mostly distinguishing between the yellow and green on the cards and plot tiles.

As others have suggested, you can potentially mark one of these colours on all the relevant cards/tiles so you know to tell them apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.