Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Amolegus, the Unstable rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Webb
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
So a bunch of these ideas have been floating in my head for a while now and I needed some kind of outlet for it, and Amolegus kinda formed.

Backstory: Amolegus comes from another planet out there somewhere in the Milky Way. He was just Particle physicist newly hired by an interplanetary company. He was working on some new technologies meant for travel between Galaxies when an accident happened with him in an ultra-massive particle Collider. The resulting particles released from other Dimensions changed the very atoms that compose his body making them unstable and causing them to reform randomly. The accident made it impossible for him to resume his original form and he found that the only Form he could reliably maintain for a time was a strange and grotesque bipedal form that had their skeletons on their insides. Deciding to seek out the people behind the company that employed him, as he soon found out that his "accident" wasn't very accidental, and make sure that they didn't ruin someone else's life. Unfortunately, he couldn't do so locally. He'd need to find a planet where he could blend in with the locals and complete his search in quiet. (Earth)

Summary of Amolegus: He's a shapeshifter. Physically he varies significantly, but his 'stable' form is that of a ridiculously good looking man combining traditional clothes from sundry cultures on earth (think Native american tribal clothes combined with Desert nomads mixed with some 1960's Gangster suit. He's silly).

Amolegus

Setup Card
Setup: Search your deck for an Isomer card and put it into play. Shuffle your deck and draw 4 cards.
Gameplay:
Isomer cards are Character Cards.
Whenever an Isomer enters play replace your Character Card with it and destroy the other.
When Amolegus is reduced to 0 or fewer HP flip this card. Do not remove F-group cards from play.

Incapacitated (on back of Setup Card):
-One player may activate a Reaction text. Treat all instances of Amolegus as that player's name when this happens.
-One Player may replace a card in hand with the top card of their deck.
-One Player may replace a card in hand with the bottom card of their deck.

Character Card(s): 6 (All Character cards have the Isomer Keyword)
Character Cards:
1.)Adrenal Amolegus (25 HP)
Power: Deal 1 target 2 Melee damage.
Reaction: Amolegus deals a target that has not taken damage this turn 2 Melee damage.
2.)Resilient Amolegus (28 HP)
Power: Activate a Reaction Text. Amolegus recovers 1 HP.
Reaction: Increase HP recovery by 1 until the end of the turn.
3.)Amorphus Amolegus (26 HP)
Power: Activate 3 Reaction Texts. Put an Isomer from your trash in play.
Reaction: 1 Player may activate a Reaction text other than this replacing 'Amolegus' with their name.
4.)Chaotic Amolegus (26 HP)
Power: Reveal the top and bottom card of your deck. Put any Isomers revealed into play, otherwise play one of the revealed cards. Discard the revealed card not played.
5.)Critical Mass Amolegus (26 HP)
Power: Activate all Reaction texts. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until an Isomer is reavealed and put it into play. Shuffle all other revealed cards into your deck.
6.)Incendiary Amolegus (27 HP)
Power: Deal 1 target 1 fire damage. Activate a Reaction text.
Reaction: 1 non-hero target deals itself 2 fire damage.
Cards:

F-Group Cards (all of the below cards have the Ongoing, Limited, and F-Group Keywords)
7.)Alpha(2):
At the start of your turn Amolegus may recover 1 HP.
Reaction: Up to 3 Targets may recover 1 HP.
8.)Delta(2): When an Isomer enters play, you may draw a card.
Reaction: Increase damage dealt by Amolegus by 1 until the start of your next turn.
9.)Phi(2): The first time each turn Amolegus would deal more than 1 damage to a non-hero target, he may instead deal that many targets 1 Energy Damage each.
Reaction: Amolegus deals all non-hero targets 1 Energy damage each.
10.)Theta(2): At the start of your turn Amolegus deals 1 target 1 Infernal damage.
Reaction: Amolegus deals 2 targets 2 Infernal damage each.

11.)Functional Substitution(4) (One-shots)
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until 2 F-group cards are revealed. Put 1 into play. Shuffle all other revealed cards not in play into your deck.

Ongoing Cards:
12.)Unstable Transformation(Ongoing, Limited) (3): The first time an Isomer is revealed each turn you may immediately put it into play. If you do, destroy this card and put the top card of your deck into play.

13.)Transdimensional Energies (Ongoing, Limited) (2): Place this next to a Hero target other than Amolegus.
At the start of their turn Amolegus may deal the target next to this card 2 Infernal damage. If he does, activate a Reaction text.

General One-shots:

14.) Hyperpcatalyst (4): Activate a Reaction text twice. Destroy an F-group card.

15.) Kinetic Isotope Reaction (3): Activate 2 Reaction texts. A player may destroy one of their Ongoing or Equipment cards. If they do, Activate 2 Reaction texts.

16.) Free Radical Burst(2): Amolegus deals all hero targets 2 Radiant damage each. Activate a Reaction text. Players who took damage this way may draw a card.

17.) Excited Isotopes(3): Discard a card. If you did, 1 player may replace a card in play that does not include the text 'destroy this card' with a card in hand.

Equipment:

18.)Molecular Stabilizer (Equipment, Limited) (3): At the end of your turn, you may activate a Reaction text.
19.)Interdimensional Phase capacitor (3)( Equipment, Limited): The first time Amolegus is be dealt damage each round, reduce that damage to 1.

Unique Keywords: F-Group, Isomer

Making progress here with Amolegus. I think he's about ready for some real playtesting when I can find time between lots of being busy stuffs. Keep on coming with the feedbacks! I can haz more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I was confused at first, because I didn't realize this was a hero after reading the summary (I'm tired, that's probably it) and was intrigued by the possibility of a villain who replaced the heroes' character cards with his own.

If they're all character cards, though, how do you deal with incapacitated powers? I mean, you're going to know when one's on top of your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webb
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
TakeWalker wrote:
I was confused at first, because I didn't realize this was a hero after reading the summary (I'm tired, that's probably it) and was intrigued by the possibility of a villain who replaced the heroes' character cards with his own.

If they're all character cards, though, how do you deal with incapacitated powers? I mean, you're going to know when one's on top of your deck.

They'll need to be on the setup card and I'll need to add text indicating add much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
Quick run through of stuff, currently, without playtesting, I'd reckon he's a bit strong.

Rosgath wrote:
Amolegus

Setup Card
Setup: Search your deck for an Isomer card and put it into play. Shuffle your deck and draw 4 cards.
Gameplay:
Isomer cards are Character Cards.
Whenever an Isomer enters play Replace your Hero character card with it. Shuffle the replaced card into your deck.

Since the character cards are deck cards you'll need to put your incap powers on the back of the setup card and wording on the front to say to flip the setup card when the hero hits zero HP.
I'm not sure shuffling the replaced Isomer card into your deck is a good idea, makes it fairly easy to get the Isomer card you want and get it into play later in the game.

Quote:
Character Card(s): 6 (All Character cards have the Isomer Keyword)
Character Cards:
1.)Adrenal Amolegus (25 HP)
Power: Deal 1 target 2 Melee damage. Activate a Reaction text.
Reaction: Amolegus deals a target that has not taken damage this turn 2 Melee damage.
2.)Resilient Amolegus (28 HP)
Power: Amolegus recovers 1 HP. Activate 2 Reaction Texts.
Reaction: Increase HP recovery by 1 until the start of your next turn.
3.)Amorphus Amolegus (26 HP)
Power: Activate 3 Reaction Texts.
Reaction: 1 Player may replace a card in play with a card in their hand.
4.)Chaotic Amolegus (26 HP)
Power: Put the top card of your deck in play. Activate a Reaction text.
Reaction: Place the bottom card of a hero deck in that player's hand.
5.)Leech Amolegus (26 HP)
Power: Deal another Hero target 3 Toxic damage. Activate all Reaction Texts.
6.)Incendiary Amolegus (27 HP)
Power: Deal 1 target 1 fire damage. Activate 2 Reaction texts.
Reaction: 1 non-hero target deals itself 2 fire damage.

Why the different max hp on the cards? It's going to cause confusion as there are no rules on how to deal with changing max hp.
e.g. I have Incendiary Amolegus (27 HP)at max hp in play and replace it with Chaotic Amolegus (26 HP) what happens to the extra HP?
Or I replace it with Resilient Amolegus (28 HP) do I stay on 27 HP or do I get a free heal to 28 hp?
Probably best to leave them with the same max HP.

Quote:
F-Group Cards (all of the below cards have the Ongoing, Limited, and F-Group Keywords)
7.)Alpha(2):
At the start of your turn 1 target may recover 1 HP.
Reaction: Up to 3 Targets may recover 1 HP.
8.)Delta(2): When an Isomer enters play, you may draw a card.
Reaction: Increase damage dealt by Amolegus by 1 until the start of your next turn.
9.)Phi(2): The first time each turn Amolegus would deal more than 1 damage to a target, he may instead deal that many targets 1 Energy Damage each.
Reaction: Amolegus deals all non-hero targets 1 Energy damage each.
10.)Theta(2): At the start of your turn Amolegus deals 1 target 1 Infernal damage.
Reaction: Amolegus deals 2 targets 2 Infernal damage each.

These look like an interesting set of cards to have out, not too powerful on their own but together could be nasty.

Quote:
11.)F-Group Search Cards(4) (One-shots)
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until 2 F-group cards are revealed. Put 1 into play. Shuffle all other revealed cards back into your deck.

Ongoing Cards:
12.)Unstable Transformation(Ongoing, Limited) (3): The first time an Isomer is revealed each turn you may immediately put it into play. If you do, destroy this card and put the top card of your deck into play.

These two cards have some interesting and possibly OP interactions.
If you have Unstable Transformation in play and then play F-Group Search You start revealing cards until you have revealed two F-Group cards, during this if one of those cards is an Isomer card you can play that and then immediatly play the next card from the top of your deck, you then continue revealing cards, you then get to play and F-Group card.

That's potentially three card plays in one action.

Also there's an odd thing in wording. Since you have to shuffle all revealed cards back into your deck if you've revealed and played an Isomer card do you shuffle that back into your deck leaving you without a character card? Common sense says no but rules say otherwise.

Also when you reveal and play an Isomer card, you immediatly shuffle your current Isomer card back into your deck, then continue to reveal cards to shuffle the revealed cards back into your again. That's shuffling twice in one action.

Quote:
13.)Transdimensional Energies (Ongoing, Limited) (2): Place this next to a Hero target.
At the start of your turn you may deal the target next to this card 2 Infernal damage. If you do, activate a Reaction text.

What happens if you deal damage but they mitigate it all? e.g. if you play this on Omnitron-X while he has a plating vs Infenal damage. If it's intended on rewarding smart plays like that for a free Reaction each turn that's fine if not the wording should proably be:
If they take damage this way activate a Reaction text.

I hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webb
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Faceontoast wrote:
Quick run through of stuff, currently, without playtesting, I'd reckon he's a bit strong.

Since the character cards are deck cards you'll need to put your incap powers on the back of the setup card and wording on the front to say to flip the setup card when the hero hits zero HP.
I'm not sure shuffling the replaced Isomer card into your deck is a good idea, makes it fairly easy to get the Isomer card you want and get it into play later in the game.

The idea here of shuffling the old Isomer back into the deck is that he should have access to it. Destroying the old Isomer might make for a better tactical decision though and would give me a good reason for giving him a method of retrieving it. Each Isomer is designed to fulfill a specific purpose, but they are still reasonably flexible using Functional Group (F-Group) Cards. That flexibility is probably enough that he won't need access to the same Isomers later in the game. I'll change it to "place the replaced Isomer in your trash" or "when an Isomer enters play destroy all other Isomer cards" to bring it in line with other similar cards.

Faceontoast wrote:

Why the different max hp on the cards? It's going to cause confusion as there are no rules on how to deal with changing max hp.
e.g. I have Incendiary Amolegus (27 HP)at max hp in play and replace it with Chaotic Amolegus (26 HP) what happens to the extra HP?
Or I replace it with Resilient Amolegus (28 HP) do I stay on 27 HP or do I get a free heal to 28 hp?
Probably best to leave them with the same max HP.

The different HP is designed to represent the different durability that his various forms have, even if it's only slight. There is a ruling (or there will be one) for swapping a Character card to another (with potentially less max HP than their current HP) and that specific power is where I pulled the wording for the setup card. Completionist Guise. I'll post on >G forum for a clarification as to what happens.

Faceontoast wrote:

These look like an interesting set of cards to have out, not too powerful on their own but together could be nasty.

The F groups are actually the most literal thing I pulled from Necro for inspiration for this character. He's meant to be not great early game, but can build up to be really nasty with F-Groups late with some craziness in-between.

Faceontoast wrote:

These two cards have some interesting and possibly OP interactions.
If you have Unstable Transformation in play and then play F-Group Search You start revealing cards until you have revealed two F-Group cards, during this if one of those cards is an Isomer card you can play that and then immediatly play the next card from the top of your deck, you then continue revealing cards, you then get to play and F-Group card.

That's potentially three card plays in one action.

Also there's an odd thing in wording. Since you have to shuffle all revealed cards back into your deck if you've revealed and played an Isomer card do you shuffle that back into your deck leaving you without a character card? Common sense says no but rules say otherwise.

Also when you reveal and play an Isomer card, you immediatly shuffle your current Isomer card back into your deck, then continue to reveal cards to shuffle the revealed cards back into your again. That's shuffling twice in one action.

I'll address this. The above interaction is actually not one I had considered, but actually UBER spiffy. No one else has the potential to play a random card from the middle of their deck.

Also, changing Isomers from shuffled into deck to placed in trash should resolve some of the excessive Shuffling.
Faceontoast wrote:

What happens if you deal damage but they mitigate it all? e.g. if you play this on Omnitron-X while he has a plating vs Infenal damage. If it's intended on rewarding smart plays like that for a free Reaction each turn that's fine if not the wording should proably be:
If they take damage this way activate a Reaction text.

I hope that helps.

Actually, I wholeheartedly support making smart plays with special interactions. On top of that the above is just to give him a method of tapping into more of his F-Group cards without one of his major one-shots that activate a lot of them. (Or the Isomer of which there is only 1 copy in his whole deck) 1 Reaction text isn't uber amazing on it's own so I'm OK with the above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webb
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
UPDATE:

Added name to F-group Search card (Now Functional Substitution)
Clarified wording on Function Substitution so as to not leave a player with no Character card if combined with Unstable Transformation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Babel
msg tools
Rosgath wrote:
UPDATE:

Clarified wording on Function Substitution so as to not leave a player with no Character card if combined with Unstable Transformation.

Arsenal Access from Expatriette's deck is effectively this same card if you'd like a good template to use for wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webb
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
swgbabel wrote:
Rosgath wrote:
UPDATE:

Arsenal Access from Expatriette's deck is effectively this same card if you'd like a good template to use for wording.

It is, but Arsenal Access will only ever result in an isolated play from it's own card play (an equipment because of the text). Unstable Transformation makes it possible to play a card in the middle of Functional Substitution which, without further clarification, could shuffle the card played by Functional Transformation back into the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Babel
msg tools
Ah. Got it, didn't think about that interaction.

Another thing I'd note is Amorphus Amolegus could create some OP situations. If Amolegus' turn is before someone like Legacy/Haka you could endlessly swap Take Down/ground Pound then replay it on their turn locking the Villain out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Robertson
United States
flag msg tools
The one major thing I note is that Leech doesn't need to actually deal the damage to activate everything, meaning if he has Phi out he can change it to hits on whatever he feels like. Energy Vampire and Transdimensional Energies have the same issues. The phase capacitor also looks a bit ridiculous since generally villains will be hitting hardest when they play a card or start of turn, which is what that will usually be blocking. Seems to me that you probably want to start with Chaotic, swapping to Leech or Amorphous once you're set up, maybe bringing resilient out if people start to run low on health. Resilient seems a bit absurd of a medic, assuming 2 transdimensional energies and Alpha out he can do 1 heal of three as he wishes, plus another of three to himself, followed by 4 to three targets of his choice, and then another 3 4s if he has the stabilizer out. And he can do that every turn, with card plays letting it get even stronger and the only cost involved being damage significantly less than what it heals and not using the other reaction options for a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webb
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Joebobjoe wrote:
The one major thing I note is that Leech doesn't need to actually deal the damage to activate everything, meaning if he has Phi out he can change it to hits on whatever he feels like. Energy Vampire and Transdimensional Energies have the same issues. The phase capacitor also looks a bit ridiculous since generally villains will be hitting hardest when they play a card or start of turn, which is what that will usually be blocking. Seems to me that you probably want to start with Chaotic, swapping to Leech or Amorphous once you're set up, maybe bringing resilient out if people start to run low on health. Resilient seems a bit absurd of a medic, assuming 2 transdimensional energies and Alpha out he can do 1 heal of three as he wishes, plus another of three to himself, followed by 4 to three targets of his choice, and then another 3 4s if he has the stabilizer out. And he can do that every turn, with card plays letting it get even stronger and the only cost involved being damage significantly less than what it heals and not using the other reaction options for a turn.

Wow! Thanks Joebob. I didn't catch those game breaking possibilities. I know his healing could potentially get out of control, but I didn't know just how far out of hand it would get. I have a few changes to bring it down without removing it as a strong part of his toolkit.

Also, you're right about the fact that the team should have to pay for some of these things. I'll make a few changes to Phi to make it less breakable as well as a number of other changes around here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webb
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Update 11/1/2016:
Resilient Amolegus now has a harder time stacking up Bonus health recovery. Now only lasts until the end of the turn that it is activated. Considering further limitation, possibly Merging power with Reaction.
Amorphous Amolegus: New Reaction. Old Reaction now a one-shot with some experimental limitations.

Excited Isotopes Replaced Vampire: Now Old Amorphous Reaction with some new restrictions. There are other possibilities checking reception of this before going with a more traditional cost.

Phi: Now only triggers when damage would be dealt to a non-hero target.

Alpha: Start of turn HP recovery is now restricted to Amolegus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webb
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Update MAH BIRFDAY: aka dia de los muertos

So. . . upon further contemplation there are some more things I feel like I need to change.

Necro, the original inspiration for this character, doesn't ever directly trigger his Ritual cards with powers (he can pull out undead to do it for him, but never activates a ritual directly). While I don't want Amolegus to be exactly like Necro I'm seeing a lot of the reasoning as to why he doesn't do it very often(mostly, way too strong). I'm pulling back a lot on the Isomer powers that activate Reaction texts. Some should, but not even most of the Isomers need to with enough one-shots that trigger them. Having a Reaction on most of the Isomers is important,however, to make sure you can't just pull a crap hand of all Reaction trigger one-shots and you all your plays are worthless cuz NO REACTIONS. So after that little prelude. . . .

Changelog:
-Adrenal Amolegus: No longer triggers a Reaction text.
--Pulling back on Reaction triggers.
-Resilient Amolegus: Now only triggers 1 Reaction text.
--Pulling back on Reactions triggers.
-Chaotic Amolegus: Reaction Removed. Power now reads: "Reveal the top and bottom card of your deck. Put any Isomers revealed into play, otherwise play one of the revealed cards. Discard the revealed card not played.
-- Long I know but I wanted Chaotic Amolegus to not be the obvious 'I'm gonna start with him' Isomer. He's good, but if you pull another Isomer with his power he goes away. No more reaction because it's a pretty strong power anyway and helps get more reactions out anyway. No need for a starter reaction on this one.
-Incendiary Amolegus: Now reads: "Activate a Reaction text. Amolegus deals 1 target 1 Fire damage."
--Pulling back on Reaction Triggers. Order of operations changed so that Delta can be more useful for this one.
-Amorphus Amolegus: New power: "Activate 3 Reaction texts. Put an Isomer from your trash in play.
-- This is a way of getting other Isomers back from the trash now, but only once. Could be repeatable if there are no Isomers in your trash, but if you already have 3 Reaction texts in play it's moderately unlikely to happen.
-Leech Amolegus is now Critical Mass Amolegus and his power reads as follows: Activate all Reaction texts. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until an Isomer is reavealed and put it into play.
--Now instead of being this huge IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZER Isomer he's more of a big explosion with low sacrifice, but it's only 1 time then to the trash it goes. You may be able to recover it with Amorphous Amolegus for a second try, but the Isomer pulled is random so unless he's in hand there's no guarantee of using him again.
-Transdimensional Energies: Now reads "When this card enters play, place it next to a hero target other than Amolegus. . . . ."
--I realize my previous changes didn't resolve his overpowered healing AT ALL. This will fix it and help encourage passing along Reaction triggers with Amorphus Amolegus.
-Molecular Stabilizer: Under review, but no changes ATM. Seems kinda boring, but boring could be good.
-Setup Card: Added flip condition and Incap powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.