Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Chambers
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the design elements I love from Assault on Doomrock would seem to be a good fit here. It really ups the collaboration among players/characters and keeps everybody playing all the time.

I've been playing the game for a bit and have yet to come across a situation where allowing simultaneous turns would seem to break the game.

Is there a real downside to implementing it in this game that I haven't seen yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot imagine ever playing with simultaneous turns.

It seems like every time we play the order of who goes when can be really critical.

Many cards refer to "an investigator at your location" but if you or they are moving, how could you do it simultaneously?

Often one player needs to go first to Evade an enemy which exhausts them so that another player can move through.

Which player moves in with an Enemy first will attract its attention (and get Engaged).

How well one player does at Investigating/Evading/Fighting may encourage another player to go help when if the first player does well and doesn't need help, the next player would do something totally different.

Because the game has Locations that give the game a boardgame-like feel, where everyone is when anyone does an action is often important.

I just don't see any way to work together without waiting to see what happens one by one most of the time.

Sure, there are times when everyone Draws a card or Gains a resource that they could do at the same time, but those actions are much rarer than things like Investigating and Moving and Evading and Fighting which can require a much more structured timing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Garcia Ballester
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mb
I think he means not everyone playing simultaneously, but everyone has 3 actions that may be spent. When someone spends an action, other players wait for him/her to resolve the action, but do not necessarily wait for him/her to spend all his/her actions.

Like player A spends an action, then player B spends 2, then player A spends 1, then player B spends 1.

I have not played the game, so I can only infer from what I read from the rules, but it seems the only downside would be to make the game easier (and I believe, a lot easier).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would mess up the game. It's often important what order things get done. Being at the same location matters. Enemies engage whoever touches them first. All sorts of things could be affected.

I'd just stick with the rules as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely find the discussions surrounding turn order to be a lot of the meat of the game. If Actions were allowed to be played in any sequence then that would remove a huge factor in how turns are played out. I think even to the point of making the investigators over powered.

Everything comes at a cost in the Arkham world and the mechanics, as they are outlined in the manual, reflect this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Chambers
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
giga is right: I don't mean literally that everyone goes at once. I mean that during the Investigator phase, the players can decide when each of them choose to spend one action, resolve that action, and then another action can be played by any player and so on until every player has spent all their actions.

None of the timing stuff brought up yet would be broken. It would all still work under this system the same way it works now. An enemy still engages the same way, location is still revealed in the same way, evading still works in the same way, etc.

The issue on making the Investigators too powerful this way could be addressed by playing on the harder difficulties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
You'll break anything that triggers at the end of each player's turn. There's an one such effect that plays a prominent role in the third sccenario:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The AO has Massive and text that readies it at the end of each player's turn. This ensures that you can't have one Investigator evade it on behalf of everyone.

If you're willing to houserule every such case, and if you've got some sort of token to keep track of actions, then you can play however you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Chambers
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdockery wrote:
You'll break anything that triggers at the end of each player's turn. There's an one such effect that plays a prominent role in the third sccenario:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The AO has Massive and text that readies it at the end of each player's turn. This ensures that you can't have one Investigator evade it on behalf of everyone.

If you're willing to houserule every such case, and if you've got some sort of token to keep track of actions, then you can play however you want.

Ah ha. That's a good catch. That would be tricky to house rule. Hmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Fuqua
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ryan, it's your game and if you enjoy playing actions in any order you wish at the table then definitely do it. We may try the same thing at my table since to use it's more about maxing entertainment then staying true to the "holy" written rules. If there's a situation where there's a conflict then just wing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.