14 Posts

Maori Wars: The New Zealand Land Wars, 1845-1872» Forums » General

Subject: Te Kooti and Titokowaru campaigns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
roger beatson
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Not sure if this has been asked elsewhere but are the campaigns against Te Kooti and Titokowaru included ?

Does the game also include the NZ Armed Constabulary. They (along with the Maori allies) bore the brunt of the fighting in the later stages of the war following the introduction of the NZ government's 'self reliant' policy, after which the British troops were reduced to garrison duties then eventually sent home.

cheers
Roger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, Roger, been away. Yes they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger beatson
New Zealand
flag msg tools

Hi John

Good to hear.
Really looking forward to this game.

Be interested to see some of the artwork for the game counters. The British uniform worn in NZ changed from the traditional red colour to a blue uniform in the 1860's. Osprey's NZ Wars book has some good illustrations of how it looked. The Armed Constabulary also had some interesting attire - burly bearded men wearing shawl 'kilts'.

Do you know if there will be a New Zealand distributor for the game. ?
As others have stated, getting games shipped to NZ from overseas can be pretty pricey.

regards
Roger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger,

if you look under IMAGES you will see the counters Randy is planning on using. Unfortunately we will not be going into the colorful uniforms of the various military arms and organizations. Regarding distribution, I cannot say as that is not my bailiwick. However I know that Randy has a deal worked out with Europe where he ships to one distributor who then further distributes from there. Perhaps he can do the same for your side of the world ... if we are able to scoot past the orkish guards of Mordor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger beatson
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Thanks again John.

I must say that the map looks stunning and the counters look great. If I were to make one suggestion it would be to change the style of head wear on the British commander counters as pith helmets weren't worn in New Zealand to the best of my knowledge.

As for shipping, getting anything through the Gates of Mordor is always a problem

regards
Roger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Lein
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Roger,

Just in case there is some mix up, here is the near final counter set. Although the Maori leader counters will need a new look as what is used here is not available.

Randy Lein - LEGION WARGAMES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great .

Perhaps you could design the Maori leaders in the same style as the rest of the counters. Did they have a kind of headwear? If so you could keep in line with the British leader counters (who have their own headwear symbol). If not a Maori tattoo pattern?

I am interested to know what the idea behind the infantry symbols is. Are these inspired by the belts of the troops? Very nifty!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger beatson
New Zealand
flag msg tools

Hi Randy

Thanks for the update on the new artwork/counters. They look very cool indeed.

Just taking a quick look and there's a couple of minor typos on the counters.
The British commander 'Bridget' should be Bridge.
The British commader 'Macdonald' should be McDonnell if it's meant to represent Major Thomas McDonnell.

The location counter Aukland should be Auckland. This may need to be corrected on the map also.

It might also be worth adding a British commander counter for Captain William Jackson of the Forest Rangers. He was in overall command of the Forest Rangers until 1865 when Von tempsky then took charge.

Gerit - in terms of headwear for the Maori I think the most common item would be the use of a couple of tail feathers from different bird species. I'm not aware of any elaborate type of headwear. With regards to the use of a Maori tattoo pattern the Maori, much like most indigenous peoples, attach certain significance or meaning to the form/design of the tattoo so it would need to be something culturally appropriate.

cheers
Roger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
With regards to the use of a Maori tattoo pattern the Maori, much like most indigenous peoples, attach certain significance or meaning to the form/design of the tattoo so it would need to be something culturally appropriate.

I absolutely agree!

Do you have suggestions, tattoo or otherwise, for the leader counters Roger?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger beatson
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Hi Gerit

I don't know enough about Maori tattoos to be confident in making a suggestion as to what would be acceptable. Having said that, whoever is doing the art would probably need to ensure that if they decide to go with some depiction of a Maori warrior (toa) that he has a full facial tattoo. A video game released a few years back made the mistake of portraying a Maori warrior with just a chin tatoo which I understand would be more appropriate for a female.

If I were to make a suggestion for the Maori leader counter if they decide to go with something other than a Maori warrior style design then I would suggest having a mere pounamu (greenstone/jade hand weapon) on the counter instead. The mere pounamu is a symbol of leadership and authority and a highly revered weapon. To me it would be symbolic of a Maori chief (Rangatira).

regards
Roger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Learning about another culture is one of the reasons I ordered MW .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for your input Roger. I will look into the inclusion of the unrepresented ranger leader and although I mourn the loss of the warrior face for Maori Leaders, I applaud your suggestion to use the mere pounamu.

And Gerit, learning about other cultures and disseminating what I learn is one of the main reasons I got into design work. I don't always get it right, but I am pleased that others care enough to correct me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger beatson
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Hi John

Thanks again for your feedback.
Like yourself I think the warrior's face on the counters looks great. If the other counters in the game are anything to go by I'm confident the artist will come up with a suitable alternative. The artwork overall has been very well done and is definitely a selling point IMHO.

I posted a link to the boardgame over on a miniatures wargaming site that I frequent and it's already generated a bit of interest, and a pre-order. One of the regulars on the site came up with the idea of using the boardgame as the basis for an NZ Wars miniatures campaign, which I think is a brilliant idea. A great way to combine the two hobbies

regards
Roger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
COOL! Thanks. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.