$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 131.57

7,726 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Loyalty Challenge & Tokugawa Ieyasu rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J B
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anywhere in the rules where it disallows this, but:

Can you play a Loyalty Challenge on Tokugawa Ieyasu and force him to be the first casualty if they fail it (assuming you get at least 7 impact in the battle)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Smith
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A leader block deploys without playing a card. A loyalty challenge would be defeated as the opponent would have to show you no card to refute the challenge. Hence the rule 'Leaders who deploy without a card are immune from Loyalty Challenge' (8.2.4)

( Although the concept of Tokugawa Ieyasu betraying himself made me giggle.)


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
iansmithksa wrote:
A leader block deploys without playing a card.

...unless that side has already used cards to deploy one or more blocks, in which case deploying the leader also requires a card.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Richard
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Can you play a Loyalty Challenge on Tokugawa Ieyasu and force him to be the first casualty if they fail it (assuming you get at least 7 impact in the battle)?

Even if you don't have 7 but still win. This happened at Okehazama. Imagawa said "but you can't challenge my own block with that card" Oda responded "sure, you didn't deploy free at the start of the battle" and the rest is history.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Smith
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
iansmithksa wrote:
A leader block deploys without playing a card.

...unless that side has already used cards to deploy one or more blocks, in which case deploying the leader also requires a card.



If he deployed after other blocks that required cards for deployment, the challenge could be refuted by showing any card. If Tokugawa deployed without card cover, and was challenged with a loyalty test, then yes, he would be a first casualty, committing Seppuku for being a complete ****.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iansmithksa wrote:
If he deployed after other blocks that required cards for deployment, the challenge could be refuted by showing any card. If Tokugawa deployed without card cover, and was challenged with a loyalty test, then yes, he would be a first casualty, committing Seppuku for being a complete ****.


Why would it be "any card" to refute the Loyalty Challenge and not have to be one with the correct mon that matches the challenged daimyo's symbol?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Snapcase wrote:
iansmithksa wrote:
If he deployed after other blocks that required cards for deployment, the challenge could be refuted by showing any card. If Tokugawa deployed without card cover

Why would it be "any card" to refute the Loyalty Challenge and not have to be one with the correct mon that matches the challenged daimyo's symbol?

Oops, yeah, he's thinking of Ishida, not Tokugawa.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The block does not represent just a leader. I would interpret such an event as his most trusted troops betraying him - which seems totally possible.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Smith
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Snapcase wrote:
iansmithksa wrote:
If he deployed after other blocks that required cards for deployment, the challenge could be refuted by showing any card. If Tokugawa deployed without card cover

Why would it be "any card" to refute the Loyalty Challenge and not have to be one with the correct mon that matches the challenged daimyo's symbol?

Oops, yeah, he's thinking of Ishida, not Tokugawa.


This, Ooops, wrong general, looks like the complete **** is me!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.