41.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Republican senators insist the president only nominate center right justices.

Yet it's obviously their intent to nominate far right justices.

I think clinton should go with more liberal judges. And she should play the political game on them. First a liberal asian judge. Then a liberal hispanic judge. Just slowly burn away their support among every voting group they are pursuing unless they start acting more fairly.

Besides, their candidate loves strong communists - republicans should be more open to left wing justices now.

Seriously-- I heard on the way home Cruz and then McCain had announced they would indefinitely not approve justices and that the court could function fine with 7 or 6 or 5 justices. McCain has since walked his statement back but he shouldn't have made it in the first place.

Personally, I think the supreme court should start playing as much hardball as they can ethically with republican policies until the republicans start to treat the institution of the court with respect again. But I'm not a supreme court justice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Hispanic liberal? Asian liberal?

Why not "competent" "best" or even "most" liberal?

Bigot much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Bigot much?

Because nominating a qualified liberal hispanic justice who the republicans vote down will cost them the hispanic vote. Likewise because nominating a qualified liberal asian justice who the republicans vote down will cost them the asian vote.

Bigot? No- but a realist who's sick and tired of republican hypocrisy- yup.

So stick it to them unless they start negotiating in good faith. If they are vote down your qualified candidate anyway, then give them candidates that will cost them for the next generation.

I'm suspecting they will suddenly rush garland through after the election too. Just really pissed off at republican senators tonight after hearing them spew on the news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Bigot much?

It has nothing to do with bigotry.

It's called strategically outmaneuvering your opposition, something you certainly know nothing about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
maxo-texas wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Bigot much?

Because nominating a qualified liberal hispanic justice who the republicans vote down will cost them the hispanic vote. Likewise because nominating a qualified liberal asian justice who the republicans vote down will cost them the asian vote.

Bigot? No- but a realist who's sick and tired of republican hypocrisy- yup.

So stick it to them unless they start negotiating in good faith. If they are vote down your qualified candidate anyway, then give them candidates that will cost them for the next generation.

I'm suspecting they will suddenly rush garland through after the election too. Just really pissed off at republican senators tonight after hearing them spew on the news.

Oh. Now that you've clarified that in your opinion Asians and Hispanics are the bigots you've... you've... dug a deeper hole?

Thanks for the clarification. I was a little uncertain if it was a slip or outright belief that Asians and Hispanics can't appreciate ideas/integrity/competence over race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fitt
Thailand
Chang Mai
flag msg tools
Maxo-texas, I disagree.

The 1st thing that should happen is for the Senate by majority vote to change the rules in the Senate to eliminate the filibuster for SCJ or at least drastically reduce the number of votes needed for cloture. If it were 51 or 52 then the Repuds would still have some say.

I think 51 would be best. This would be 50 plus the Vice-Pres. or the Repuds could hold back 1 Senator from voting and the final vote would be 50 to 49 and the VP would not get to be a tie breaker. In this case the Dems would need any one Republican Senator to vote with them. Therefore, the Repuds would have to all be willing to vote no or abstain which would make them all look very, very bad, especially if [as you said] the SC nominees are minorities.

OTOH, there is a lot to be said for getting rid of filibusters completely. I don't trust the Repuds to put it back if they ever get a slim majority and need it. I.e. they don't control both the House and/or Pres. I hope this is clear.

So, just try to roll over them with no filibuster at all. I say try because I expect 1 Dem to vote with the Repuds, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Bigot much?

If there were a legitimate rating system to determine those, then sure. Realistically you get a list where the candidates all different have varying strengths and weaknesses that cannot be directly compared to determine the "best". As such they are all "best", but for differing reasons. If one criteria is increasing diversity on the court, the "best" could be the Asian American candidate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go8ng from 'let the will of the people decide after the election' to 'we don't think the will of the people is worth listening to' is going to be a hellava gymnastics show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ito 2017!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is very little in the constitution of the USA about how SCJ are picked. It's basically tradition that there are confirmation hearings for example. None of this has been tested in the SC. So if the Senate refuses to vote on SCJ for the new president, then she should push back hard. Giv them a deadline and let the SC sort it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Personally, I think the supreme court should start playing as much hardball as they can ethically with republican policies until the republicans start to treat the institution of the court with respect again. But I'm not a supreme court justice.

Let's hear from someone who is:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/clarence-thomas-washin...

Quote:
[Clarence] Thomas, who was himself confirmed only after a contentious hearing that focused on allegations of sexual harassment against him, said the popular notion that the Supreme Court is an overly politicized institution is at least partially the fault of the court itself.

"I don’t think people owe us, reflexively, confidence. I think it’s something we earn," he said. "Perhaps we should ask ourselves what have we done to not earn it or earn it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You are full of poisonous refuse and insane foolishness.
badge
I had not supposed or expected your arrogant spirit to seek such a ridiculous and childish reason for lying; you should have better reasons.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Bigot much?

No shit. Mac sees skin color instead of qualifications. Disgusting. He wants to play politics to drive wedges between us instead of uniting us on common ground. Terrible racism in play here that sees people as tokens to be pushed around a board rather than as human beings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's one thing the Court did to lose the confidence and respect of the citizens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, Hillary said during one of the debates that her litmus test for the court was someone who would overturn Citizens United.

That should have alarmed everyone. But the Dems have done a great job lying about Citizens United so everyone thinks it's about "dark money" (like the kind Hillary scoops up daily) instead of more properly about a citizen's right to participate in the electoral process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
By the way, Hillary said during one of the debates that her litmus test for the court was someone who would overturn Citizens United.

That should have alarmed everyone. But the Dems have done a great job lying about Citizens United so everyone thinks it's about "dark money" (like the kind Hillary scoops up daily) instead of more properly about a citizen's corporation's right to participate in the electoral process.

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Albatros28215 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

That should have alarmed everyone. But the Dems have done a great job lying about Citizens United so everyone thinks it's about "dark money" (like the kind Hillary scoops up daily) instead of more properly about a citizen's corporation's right to participate in the electoral process.

FTFY

Curious. Do you want to silence labor unions, too? They would also be denied their right to participate in the process if Citizens United was upheld.

Let's be blunt. Democrats are complete hypocrites about Citizens United, because they benefit from the decision just as much if not more than Republicans. They blather vagueries about "dark money" while raking in the cash, illegally coordinating with PACs, slurping up every penny from Wall Street (while letting Wall Street itself pick cabinet members), and hiring thugs to commit acts of violence at Republican rallies.

So really, when it comes to Citizens United, I want all Democrats to just admit they're bloviating. Hillary doesn't mean it. It's just as much a bone to throw to her lefty supporters as "CLOSE GITMO!" was for Obama. And it's still open. And it never will be closed while he's president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Albatros28215 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

FTFY

Curious. Do you want to silence labor unions, too? They would also be denied their right to participate in the process if Citizens United was upheld.

Let's be blunt. Democrats are complete hypocrites about Citizens United, because they benefit from the decision just as much if not more than Republicans. They blather vagueries about "dark money" while raking in the cash, illegally coordinating with PACs, slurping up every penny from Wall Street (while letting Wall Street itself pick cabinet members), and hiring thugs to commit acts of violence at Republican rallies.

So really, when it comes to Citizens United, I want all Democrats to just admit they're bloviating. Hillary doesn't mean it. It's just as much a bone to throw to her lefty supporters as "CLOSE GITMO!" was for Obama. And it's still open. And it never will be closed while he's president.

I want mega$$ out of politics - full stop.

And BTW a nice distraction from the OP's point; this Cruz stance is indefensible from a variety of aspects: Previous right wing rhetoric, constitutional, even moral. These chosen "nuclear options" are creating a self fulfilling prophesy - government that can do nothing right because a wing of the government has decided to prevent any action. While that sounds like nirvana to some, the last set of government shutdowns should provide some clue as what the vast majority of the governed think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Albatros28215 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Albatros28215 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

FTFY

I want mega$$ out of politics - full stop.

Are you voting for Hillary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Whomever I vote for, it will be mainly to prevent the billionaire oligarch from holding an federal executive position and standing as commander in chief.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Albatros28215 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Whomever I vote for, it will be mainly to prevent the billionaire oligarch from holding an federal executive position and standing as commander in chief.

Hillary's not a billionaire, as far as I know. But who knows how much cash from the Saudis she's got stuffed in her mattress? (And we know that Bill would never find it there.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

That should have alarmed everyone. But the Dems have done a great job lying about Citizens United so everyone thinks it's about "dark money" (like the kind Hillary scoops up daily) instead of more properly about a citizen's right to participate in the electoral process.

LOL, this is the single most idiotic thing I've read on RSP today. Complains about corruption, then says Citizens United was a good thing. You can't make this shit up people. Only in right wing 'Merica people. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

So getting rid of it would benefit the people and get big money out of both sides of the aisle. Where's the downside?

If you talk about getting rid of it and don't follow through, that should haunt you next election.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
Where's the downside?

I don't want the government controlling all aspects of political speech. Telling us what can and can't be said.

Remember, the Citizens United case was about trying to make it illegal to criticize Hillary. I'm not surprised she has a vendetta. Are you willing to cede your rights to make Hillary happy?

Will this ever come back to bite you? Or do you just assume (as we all do) that the law will never apply to Democrats?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
LOL, this is the single most idiotic thing I've read on RSP today.

You should read some of YOUR posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Corporations aren't people.

Obviously, neither are Unions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.