Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When launching a ship during the Action Phase, do you immediately move it up one level towards Return in the Movement Phase, or is the launching part of the Movement Phase, and therefore won't move up until the next Movement Phase?

The reason I ask is that there is a card in the expansion that basically states "any ship in level 4, 5 or 6 does not move this turn". Well, if you launch a ship to level 6 as part of the Action phase, then move the ship in the following Movement phase, then take the card as part of the Whaling Phase, there will never be a ship in Level 6. Seems superfluous to have that language on the card if there's never a time when ship is actually whaling on level 6 during the Whaling Phase.

BTW, I've only played this once, so I may be missing a building that allows you to whale from level 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ from Board Game Gumbo

Lafayette
Louisiana
msg tools
www.boardgamegumbo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a tile (the lighthouse) which allows ships to be moved back one level, so that could put a ship on level 6.

But yes, if you pay 6 hardtack biscuits...err...food, then you put the ship at level 6. Then when the movement phase comes up, you move the ship to level 5.

So, there are two chances for a ship to be at level 6 and be affected by this card (although I am not familiar with the card you mention, so I may have the timing wrong.) When a ship is first launched, and when a lighthouse moves a ship from level 5 to level 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airlarry wrote:
There is a tile (the lighthouse) which allows ships to be moved back one level, so that could put a ship on level 6.

But yes, if you pay 6 hardtack biscuits...err...food, then you put the ship at level 6. Then when the movement phase comes up, you move the ship to level 5.

So, there are two chances for a ship to be at level 6 and be affected by this card (although I am not familiar with the card you mention, so I may have the timing wrong.) When a ship is first launched, and when a lighthouse moves a ship from level 5 to level 6.

Thank you. It would seem the Lighthouse would be the only way then. The card is part of the expansion pack and can only be played during the Whaling Phase, so launching would not be affected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the Ice Sheet card, correct? According to the Official FAQ and Errata thread: for the cancelled movement, return the ships to their original positions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhc3po wrote:
This is the Ice Sheet card, correct? According to the Official FAQ and Errata thread: for the cancelled movement, return the ships to their original positions.

Yes, it is. Now, what do they mean by "for the cancelled movement?" Does that mean, move the ships back one spot (ie, from their original position before the Movement Phase)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
dhc3po wrote:

Yes, it is. Now, what do they mean by "for the cancelled movement?" Does that mean, move the ships back one spot (ie, from their original position before the Movement Phase)?

Correct. I believe this was discussed somewhere in the thread.
As I understand it, if a ship was on the 4, 5, or 6 position before movement, then if that card is selected during whaling, they move back to that position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhc3po wrote:
texascpa wrote:
dhc3po wrote:

As I understand it, if a ship was on the 4, 5, or 6 position before movement, then if that card is selected during whaling, they move back to that position.

Great! Thank you for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bold

Colorado
msg tools
dhc3po wrote:
texascpa wrote:
dhc3po wrote:

Until &/or If the card is reprinted it should be discussed by players prior to play. By strict interpretation, the card "activates" in the next round after being selected during whaling (unless players agree that the owning player gets to decide the round that it activates). The reason it would not take effect immediately after being drawn is because that in all likelihood some of the players will have already drawn whale tokens and they would have to be put back and re-selected. So just take note that after being drawn, ships that are on the 4, 5, & 6 position would temporarily move during the next movement phase, then go back to original positions after tokens are pulled from ocean bag. You have to go through the motions of doing this is because another card could be played by a player that cancels the cards effect on them etc.

A different rule would allow an affected player's ship to select a card (if available) instead of a whale token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinTheBold wrote:
dhc3po wrote:
texascpa wrote:
dhc3po wrote:

Until &/or If the card is reprinted it should be discussed by players prior to play. By strict interpretation, the card "activates" in the next round after being selected during whaling (unless players agree that the owning player gets to decide the round that it activates). The reason it would not take effect immediately after being drawn is because that in all likelihood some of the players will have already drawn whale tokens and they would have to be put back and re-selected. So just take note that after being drawn, ships that are on the 4, 5, & 6 position would temporarily move during the next movement phase, then go back to original positions after tokens are pulled from ocean bag. You have to go through the motions of doing this is because another card could be played by a player that cancels the cards effect on them etc.

A different rule would allow an effected player's ship to select a card (I available) instead of a whale token.

I think I see where you are coming from, but how would that change the impact on players that have drawn tokens? The selection order shouldn't change.

Example, Ships are on 2, 3, 4 and 5. Ship 5 selects a whale, ship 4 does next. Ship 3 however takes and plays the card. Ships on 3, 4 and 5 all move back one space. Nothing else changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's potentially possible to activate another Ship's Log card, but very rare.

The current interpretation is that movement of ships that started on those spaces in the current movement phase is negated. We will be rewording this in the next printing to make it unambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bold

Colorado
msg tools
Quote:
I think I see where you are coming from, but how would that change the impact on players that have drawn tokens? The selection order shouldn't change.

Example, Ships are on 2, 3, 4 and 5. Ship 5 selects a whale, ship 4 does next. Ship 3 however takes and plays the card. Ships on 3, 4 and 5 all move back one space. Nothing else changes.

Just remember that the card Ice Sheet is an Omen Ship's Log card and Omen cards all have negative effects on all or most of the players. The example you gave is rewarding players by allowing them to take a token and then move further out on the track. The card specifically says that these players do not get to select a whale token. The confusion on the card was from the wording "remain in place" when in actuality they must return to their position prior to movement phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinTheBold wrote:
Quote:

Just remember that the card Ice Sheet is an Omen Ship's Log card and Omen cards all have negative effects on all or most of the players. The example you gave is rewarding players by allowing them to take a token and then move further out on the track. The card specifically says that these players do not get to select a whale token. The confusion on the card was from the wording "remain in place" when in actuality they must return to their position prior to movement phase.

Thanks again. I made an assumption that it didn't have any other language on it. I didn't want to pull out the card again, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.