The Habit of Victory» Forums » Rules

Subject: Repulse Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gus I
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had our first session of this game last night, a go at the first battle scenario and I have a few questions.

1) When a repulse is attempted both forces are flipped to the revealed side and stay that way until the end of the battle phase?

2) After a successful repulse can the moving force move anywhere
ie it doesn't need to move into the hex vacated by the repulsed force?

3) A force moves into a hex that is not occupied or adjacent to a
friendly unit in an EZOC.
It attempts to repulse a force and the repulse fails
It looses an SP and "there will be no follow-on combat with this force".
Does that mean the phasing player does not need to attack the
force in the combat phase?

4) If the repulsed unit is a vedette, the vedette is revealed and looses its ZOC?

5) Repulse during pursuit can only happen if the retreating force retreated through a friendly force?

6) a force fails a repulse attempt and is reinforced by other forces during the movement phase. Does the combined force still suffer the -2 column shift in the subsequent battle?

cheers
Gus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus I
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more questions:

7) Are adjacent opposing forces flipped to hidden status at the end of the battle phase?

HOV [22] states that Leaders of both players become hidden a again at the end of the combat phase.

However in the rules for the combat phase there is no mention of this.
The consolidation rules don't mention flipping to hidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus I
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8) According [168] a vacant redoubt is removed.
At the start of the first battle scenario there are two vacant redoubts. What is supposed to happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus I
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
9) Vedettes are revealed under these circumstances?

a) A vedette attempts to repulse
b) A vedete is the target of a repulse attempt
c) A unit in a ZOC bond created by a vedette attempts to move
d) At the the start of the battle phase when a unit projects an EZOC into a vedettes hex.
e) When a vedette is guarding the far end of a damaged bridge and an enemy unit attempts to repair the bridge.
f) If it is blocking the shortest path of a retreat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus I
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10) and some insubordination questions

Some mayor generals such as Ostermann and Sacken have an insubordination rating of 3. That makes it pretty difficult to reabsorb their divisions under a division commander.

Fortunately in [79] If by deactivating a Replacement Leader or Major General a Leader would have a Command Span adequate to command, it is not considered an Insubordinate Stack if the Major General is deactivated in the next Command Phase.

Why not change the rule to be able to activate deactivate MGs during the consolidation phase (ie at any time)?

I always assume that the MG is the intrinsic division commander who is already in charge of the division. I am not sure what changes in real life when the MG is placed on the map but in game terms his subordination rating shoots through the roof. Historically perhaps corps commanders were not allowed to leave any divisions behind without explicit approval from the general staff (Centre of Ops) but that is just speculation on my part. It would then also seem odd that you split a force in the command phase but move both forces under initiative.

So according to [79] the following move is legal:

5 forces converge on on hex
- Davout and the IIIrd corps units
- Murat and the Cav corps unit
- Becker and cav division
- Lasalle and cav division
- Nansouty and cav division

Without [79] Davout command span of 5 would command a force of total subordination of 2+3+2+2+2 = 11 and clearly does not fit.

With [79] the three cavalry MGs could be deactivated and their divisions placed on Murat track during the next Command Phase so we then end up with Murat command the cav corps and 3 cav divisions filling out his command span of 5. Davout then commands the III corps and Murat filling out his command span of 5. Making the move legal. In this case if the above stack launches an attack it could then send one of the MGs off in which case that MG can no longer be deactivated in the next command phase.

In the example we haven't considered what would have happened if during the next command phase the cavalry divisions were also absorbed into the Cavalry corps. In that case it would be possible to move in a few yellow cavalry divisions plus 3 infantry divisions, each commanded bu a single MG in the same hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus I
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
11) Can all the French yellow Cavalry divisions be absorbed into the Cav Corps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
Responses have been posted in CSW game folder by Kevin for these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.