Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Standee Holders / Bases are ugly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi y'all, I am looking forward to this amazing game and appreciate the major effort Isaac has put into it but I was wondering if anyone had some alternative solutions to the bases for the standees...they seems really large and over bearing. I was wondering if there might be some smaller, less intrusive bases we could buy from somewhere?

Maybe some hexagonal ones to match the tile structure would be cool.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But their design is good, you wont damage the enemy when you change it every time you play new scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Montenegro
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can use the bases from Star Wars:Rebellion. I am sure there are other places that sell clear bases as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kmazut wrote:
But their design is good, you wont damage the enemy when you change it every time you play new scenario.

Indeed. They are designed that you can swap over monster tokens regularly without them getting damaged. The "regular" ones with the notches in the base will damage them each time you put them in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it was meant as a joke, but the standees from Rebellion are some of the worst kind, since they are prone to damage the standees even when you assemble them for the first time. Now needing to disassemble and reassemble them during the game when you want to attach a ring doesn't help!!

While I agree that the stands might seems a bit large, I didn't recognize this when playing the game and being able to remove them and reattach them easily and without damaging the standees is a huge argument!!

The only stands that are better IMHO are the ones from Andor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's bothering you, you could try to paint/sharpie the outside of the standees. If you make them darker they will draw the eye much less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And aren't the base each individually numbered?

I quickly saw them in the unboxing vid but is there a clearer picture of the somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neva Kee wrote:

While I agree that the stands might seems a bit large, I didn't recognize this when playing the game and being able to remove them and reattach them easily and without damaging the standees is a huge argument!!

The only stands that are better IMHO are the ones from Andor.

Well thats good to hear, I obviously haven't played it yet and was only going off the images I've seen as I was drawn to them in those.

Valid points about other bases causing damage so this is good to hear about Gloomhavens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
datajack wrote:

I quickly saw them in the unboxing vid but is there a clearer picture of the somewhere?

I believe the standees themselves are numbered, not the bases. Could be wrong though.

For anyone who might be looking to get replacements, note that the base color is important -- there are both white and gold bases, and the gold ones represent elite versions of the enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cliffy73 wrote:
datajack wrote:

I believe the standees themselves are numbered, not the bases. Could be wrong though.

For anyone who might be looking to get replacements, note that the base color is important -- there are both white and gold bases, and the gold ones represent elite versions of the enemy.

Yeah, you're right. We see it pretty clearly on these pictures:
and

I guess, numbering the standees might have worked as well and be clearer with the base size and color. Meh anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the fact that the standees fits on the monster stat cards as well as shown on the first picture. I guess it might be useful for beginners to more easily and quickly differentiate the monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree they don't look great, but since I bought the exact same ones for my arkham horror game, I guess I'm in the camp that non-damaging and easy to apply trumps cool looking. Some enterprising individual needs to invent a better stand holder and kickstart a bunch of different styles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They would be a lot better, if they weren't white and yellow, but rather black and red, or something like that.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
They would be a lot better, if they weren't white and yellow, but rather black and red, or something like that.

Bye
Thanee

Sounds like a good combination and would fit the overall theme, too. Maybe I will repurpose my Andor stands for this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kmazut wrote:

oh good! that was my only worry with having bases/standees version. glad to know the constant changing of those wont damage my standees

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee

That is exactly what I was thinking. White and yellow seems like such an odd choice for the game. Darker colours would also go together much better with the overall dark colour scheme of the standees.

Since I saw the pictures from Essen I am very much looking for alternatives. I loved the idea with standees for the monsters from the beginning but thoses stands really ruin the look in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
White and yellow replicate the colors associated to normal and elite monsters in the scenario description. I like this level of "consistency" in game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
g1ul10 wrote:
White and yellow replicate the colors associated to normal and elite monsters in the scenario description. I like this level of "consistency" in game design.

Agree about the consistency. It is useful.

Still would prefer darker colors for the stands, though (ideally, the scenario description should use those colors as well instead of white and yellow).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the overall tone of the game is quite dark and the maps tends to be crowded, at least the white and gold will stand out and will be easily visible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Peterson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fantasy Flight sells 10-packs of clear bases used in games like Eldritch Horror and Arkham Horror. The size looks about right, I will be buying 2-3 packs and distinguishing elite units with small yellow stickers I will put on bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:
... at least the white and gold will stand out and will be easily visible

That is exactly the "problem"!

They stand out too much and thus detract from the overall tone.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
I like them ... they are visible and clear ... I don't want to waste some strategy just cause I do not understand which kind of enemy I am fighting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
haplo92 wrote:
... at least the white and gold will stand out and will be easily visible

That is exactly the "problem"!

They stand out too much and thus detract from the overall tone.

Bye
Thanee

Well, that won't be a problem for me. We can agree to disagree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jopeters wrote:
Fantasy Flight sells 10-packs of clear bases used in games like Eldritch Horror and Arkham Horror. The size looks about right, I will be buying 2-3 packs and distinguishing elite units with small yellow stickers I will put on bases.

I'm not sure if you've used the (in EH/AH) but these are the stands I threw out and replaced with the ones Gloomhaven uses because they damage the cardboard. If you're going to buy a ton and just leave them attached, that should work fine, I expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antonio8080 wrote:
I like them ... they are visible and clear ... I don't want to waste some strategy just cause I do not understand which kind of enemy I am fighting

Red bases should stick out enough, really, esp. versus black.

Anyways, it is a moot point. The bases won't change. Only thing we can do is find some suitable replacement. I will look into that, when the game is there.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.