41.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WILDLY excited by the prospect of co-op dungeon crawling using RTL.

I have Descent 1 and the Conversion Kit. Plus Descent 2 and a few expansions. Can I simply use the 1st heroes and monsters with conversion kit in RTL rather than the updated cards from the Heroes and Monsters official 2nd edition packs?

I would love to use the old guys in action but I read a thread that noted that the official 2nd edition packs changed quite a few hero and monster details. I don't really fancy buying all those extra packs.

Is it a game breaker to just use the conversion kit cards? I can't be bothered checking reference tables for updated abilities.

All help appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
fentum wrote:
WILDLY excited by the prospect of co-op dungeon crawling using RTL.

I have Descent 1 and the Conversion Kit. Plus Descent 2 and a few expansions. Can I simply use the 1st heroes and monsters with conversion kit in RTL rather than the updated cards from the Heroes and Monsters official 2nd edition packs?

I would love to use the old guys in action but I read a thread that noted that the official 2nd edition packs changed quite a few hero and monster details. I don't really fancy buying all those extra packs.

Is it a game breaker to just use the conversion kit cards? I can't be bothered checking reference tables for updated abilities.

All help appreciated!

While most of the heroes from the CK would be fine, the same cannot be told for the monsters because Road to Legend explicitly calls out for specific monster's abilities during their activations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
The updated monsters have some ability name changes and with each ability name change comes ability effect change. All monsters with "undying" had that changed in different ways. Skeleton Archers got Reanimate, Ogres got Fleshmonger, Sorcerers got Death Wish. You should be okay to use them as-is if you can adapt to the new ability names.

Two Hero and Monster expansions: Treaty of Champions and Shards of Everdark each have a new monster: Dark Minotaur and Crow Hag. Don't include those in your collection. You won't see Demon Lords, Skeleton Archers, Ice Wyrms or Shades pop up.

Some monsters got a size change. Notably: Manticore (now 2-space), Blood Ape (4-space), Wendigo (4-space). I don't know if the quests designed around them were balanced to accomodate that size difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr G. you're probably referring to my thread:
Road to Legend - Conversion Kit vs Hero & Monster Expansions (now with images)

The issue using conversion kit stuff is that the app uses the new abilities on the monsters.

I ended up patching the Hero stats and the Monster stats+abilities on the conversion kit cards. I kept all the old abilities & feats on the heroes.

I also printed proxies for the missing Crow Hags and Dark Minotaurs, and will just use other figures if they ever show up.

Works like a charm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the speedy responses.

I'm more interested in the heroes of old than the monsters, but as I understand it, you have to add both by Hero & Monster pack.

I think I'll stick with D2 stuff for now and see how it goes. Makes it less fiddly, but I KNOW that I will want to see Steelhorns in action soon. I'm a first edition Runebound player, after all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deebs wrote:

The issue using conversion kit stuff is that the app uses the new abilities on the monsters.

I ended up patching the Hero stats and the Monster stats+abilities on the conversion kit cards. I kept all the old abilities & feats on the heroes.

I also printed proxies for the missing Crow Hags and Dark Minotaurs, and will just use other figures if they ever show up.

Works like a charm!

Exactly that. I saw your list. It is very helpful and a cracking piece of work, but my old eyes just can't handle that table! I will have a good look at your images now...

When you note 'patching' do you mean that you actually pasted stuff onto the cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
fentum wrote:
Thanks for the speedy responses.

I'm more interested in the heroes of old than the monsters, but as I understand it, you have to add both by Hero & Monster pack.

You do, but unless you're going to be really bothered by the app occasionally referring to you by the wrong name, I would just use the hero and tell the app you're using a different one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fentum wrote:
Deebs wrote:

Works like a charm!

Exactly that. I saw your list. It is very helpful and a cracking piece of work, but my old eyes just can't handle that table! I will have a good look at your images now...

When you note 'patching' do you mean that you actually pasted stuff onto the cards?

I saw that an awesome Finnish user had done some awesome work and sent him a friendly PM.
Niclas Willberg
Finland
Vaasa
flag msg tools
The moon bearing the image of the desert kangaroo mouse, Muad'dib.
badge
The planet Arrakis, known as Dune.
mbmbmbmbmb

I found it very helpful to be able to print on adhesive paper and just apply to the cards. In a lot of cases it's pretty visible that I've tampered with the cards, but I don't mind. In some cases however it's almost impossible to spot.

/Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love a link to that thread too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.