BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: X-Com VS Pandemic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tal Lavi
Israel
flag msg tools
Hey guys.
Im just starting out with the whole board gaming thing, and since I want to try a bit of everything to know what me preferences are, I want to try a co-op game as well.

Now I can buy both game for about the same price of 40$ (includes shipping).

Which game would you recommend, they both seem pretty similar yet each has its own unique aspect.

Keep in mind its for a group of players (including me) that never played anything more serious than monopoly or CaH.

Thanks in advance guys.

P.S: I can also get Arkham Horror for 30$ from the same site, its really cheap and while it does look like a very heavy game, the price kind of reels me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
In general: If you want to choose a game, the attribues you can find on the game-pages here at BGG are pretty useful. First of all the rank, of course. Pandemic is at 54, XCOM: The Board Game is at 363.
Always worth looking at also is the suggested number of players, the duration and the weight (which is the calculated average voted by the BGG-users and goes from 1 to 5).

Pandemic is a great game to get into the hobby. I definitely would go for this, except your friends are XCOM-Fans (it's based on a videogame). But I am a bit surprised about the price. 40 bucks seems to be a bit high for Pandemic (I think 25-30 dollars is normal). Or are we talking about Pandemic Legacy: Season 1?

Arkham Horror is a brilliant game, but it definitely is a heavy one. Most people prefer Eldritch Horror these days, because it's streamlined while keeping most of the atmosphere. I actually like Arkham Horror still a bit better - but you have to take your time for it. There are plenty of rules and it's a bit fiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tal Lavi
Israel
flag msg tools
As you can see I am from Israel, so while the game costs about 20$, the shipping is another 20~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TalLavi wrote:
Hey guys.
Im just starting out with the whole board gaming thing, and since I want to try a bit of everything to know what me preferences are, I want to try a co-op game as well.

Now I can buy both game for about the same price of 40$ (includes shipping).

Which game would you recommend, they both seem pretty similar yet each has its own unique aspect.

Keep in mind its for a group of players (including me) that never played anything more serious than monopoly or CaH.

Thanks in advance guys.

P.S: I can also get Arkham Horror for 30$ from the same site, its really cheap and while it does look like a very heavy game, the price kind of reels me in.

First of all TalLavi, welcome to Boardgamegeek.
I would definitely go for the original Pandemic game (not the Legacy series) as a starting point to games and for non-gamers. The only drawback with Pandemic - in my view - is (because it is a so-called co-operative game with all players playing against the game) less assertive or experienced players can get effectively "shut-out" with their opinions dismissed or ignored. Those more assertive and experienced may "bully" others into following their strategy. I have even seen such players effectively playing the move for another player.
However, I would have thought this to be unlikely amongst good friends or family. I love the game and have played it to death, but have only played with family and friends. At game nights and conventions it would depend very much on the type of people and players there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tal Lavi
Israel
flag msg tools
@Tobias R., @Andrew Johnson

I checked both games out on bgg, saw multiple reviews of them both and even saw the gameplay of them both.

The thing is Pandemic looks a bit stale, since its essentially running around the board clearing stuff, while hopping to stall enough for you to get 5 of the same card.
Also like Andrew Johnson said, there isn't a feeling of 4 individual players working together to win, its basically "one big player" since you can see the hand of your friend and you can tell him what to do.

While in XCom each player has his own role and unique stuff he has to contribute in order to win together.

Also both games end up costing me the same, so I can either get a 40$ game for its price or a 25$ game for 40$.

While the price isn't really the point, I just cant help feeling Pandemic won't turn into a shouting fest where everyone jumbles together and you don't feel a sense of self, which is also what I saw from the gameplay videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
TalLavi wrote:

I checked both games out on bgg, saw multiple reviews of them both and even saw the gameplay of them both.

The thing is Pandemic looks a bit stale, since its essentially running around the board clearing stuff, while hopping to stall enough for you to get 5 of the same card.
Also like Andrew Johnson said, there isn't a feeling of 4 individual players working together to win, its basically "one big player" since you can see the hand of your friend and you can tell him what to do.

While in XCom each player has his own role and unique stuff he has to contribute in order to win together.

Also both games end up costing me the same, so I can either get a 40$ game for its price or a 25$ game for 40$.

While the price isn't really the point, I just cant help feeling Pandemic won't turn into a shouting fest where everyone jumbles together and you don't feel a sense of self, which is also what I saw from the gameplay videos.

The ratings on BGG mean absolutely nothing.

Pandemic is boring. Go with X-Com. If you don't like it, go online and sell it and buy something else. Go with your gut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TalLavi wrote:

Looks like you are swaying towards X-Com (my all time favourite PC game). Go for it. It is possibly less welcoming to new gamers or non gamers though. It also looks like you can connect with the "shouting-fest" portrayed on the video which would suggest to me you think it likely with your own group. As I said, it does depend on who you play with, but I suppose all games do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is easy for me. Pandemic all the way. Great game, good for introducing newcomers, no time pressure and a better opportunity to work as a team (the time limits of XCOM mean you are on your own in your role because no one else has time to help you) and it has expansions you can get if you want more later down the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
You also might want to consider

Forbidden Island
Hanabi
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Forbidden Desert
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Castle Panic
Mice and Mystics

All excellent gateway co-ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pandemic.

The learning curve for XCom is steeper and you're going to have a hard time playing it with less than 3 players-- 4 is much, much better. You're also going to have a harder time teaching it, and you're going to have to teach all 4 roles as the rules are on the app which you're going to have (presumably). X-Com is 4 different little games-- so no alphaing there-- but none of the 4 are better than Pandemic.

Pandemic can be solo'd or played with the max amount. Hide hands, if you're nervous about alpha gamers. I've never introduced the game to anyone who didn't enjoy it.

That said, if you're not sold on the Pandemic theme, find another game. But XCom lacks the needed flexibility to be a purchase for someone just starting their collection.

Edit: AH is a bit heavy . . . if you think you'd enjoy the length of the sessions, I still think that you'd get more play out of that than you would XCom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tal Lavi
Israel
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone.
I did another run and I think I lost a bit of interest in XCom, really does seem to stressful with the App, and without it, it just feels lack luster.

Since everyone both here and online recommended Pandemic, and it is a huge hit that has good history behind it, I guess I'll get it if I feel like filling that CO-OP niche.

Right now I already have 3 games to start with: Smash Up (+AL9000), Cosmic Encounter, Rex.

If I happen to come across Pandemic for a super cheap price or the group will all be into it, I'll grab it.

Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.