46 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Rahdo dislike war/action board games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Destry
msg tools
I remember seeing roll for the galaxy I believe in one of his top 10 lists, but that is the only "combat" game I could find.

I just got done watching all 47 top 10 lists on his channel, and a lot of them are worker placement I believe. Once again, this is not an attack on him, I am just curious. I was hoping to get some good recommendations for boardgames from him, since he is well respected. Out of 47 of those lists, I only got 2 that were already on my review list; most of the rest I never heard heard of on bgg or other review sites.

How come plenty of other popular game reviewers have classic popular games like small world, wits and wagers, memoir 44, ticket to ride, legendary/dominion, 1776, etc., and he has none of those?

I know he stated that he doesnt like stealing/harming his opponent in certain games; but what about a good chunk of the market where action is the centerpiece?

My wife and I like playing some non action games like Concordia, love dexterity games like spot it and top that, and also love mostly action themed board games like dc deckbuilder, 1776, memoir 44, game of thrones, etc.. He seems like the polar opposite of most other game reviewers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Last time I watched his videos he disliked "offensive interaction" and "nasty themes" and his wife does even more.

So if you are interested in this kind of game, look for recommendations elsewhere.

Quote:
he is well respected

1) choose a reviewer
2) watch/read his/her opinion about games you know
3) determine his/her tastes and compare them to yours
4) determine if this reviewer is of interest for you
5) repeat steps 1 to 5 until you have found enough reviewers to provide you information on the kind of games you are interested in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
This may help.
Rahdo's FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo dislikes meaningful interaction between players, which is to say prefers multiplayer solitaire games. He has a large following as he is not the polar opposite of many (on this site).

Him and I could not be further apart on the spectrum (I probably wargame more than anything), so he is not a terribly good resource for me, except a shining review typically means avoid. In bizarro world we both greatly enjoy Agricola, but play it very different ways (denial strategies and starving your opponent are a good part of the game when I'm at the table .

Maybe he doesn't have your list of 'classics' as he doesn't enjoy them (those are all pretty recent)? A reviewer need not ride the boat so to speak. Ticket to ride is something I've hated since it's inception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
Last time I watched his videos he disliked "offensive interaction" and "nasty themes" and his wife even more.

So if you are interested in this kind of game, look for recommendations elsewhere.

Quote:
he is well respected

1) choose a reviewer
2) watch/read his/her opinion about games you know
3) determine his/her tastes and compare them to yours
4) determine if this reviewer is of interest for you
5) repeat steps 1 to 5 until you have found enough reviewers to provide you information on the kind of games you are interested in

You may want to edit this slightly because it reads that he dislikes his wife more than offensive interaction or nasty themes which I am sure isn't the intention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Rahdo fills a specific niche and does so well.

His tastes are so different to mine I don't find him useful as a game reviewer at all. It sounds like you may be in the same situation.

There's lots of reviewers out there. (I like Calendale, but he may be too far in the other direction for you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Destry
msg tools
Yea, DT (obviously) and sit up/shut up are my 2 go to ones. The rest may be interesting to others, but they are more "blah" to me. You have to entertain your viewers too when reviewing and both of these do it the best, that latter even more so.

I like some of the others for tutorials, for certain games, but the other two off so much more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:
You may want to edit this slightly because it reads that he dislikes his wife more than offensive interaction or nasty themes which I am sure isn't the intention.

Indeed ... But he couldn't dislike his wife: it would be a too mean interaction for him.

givemeInfoplease wrote:
Yea, DT (obviously)

They are popular but they are in no way mandatory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
He's a Eurogamer. I have very similar tastes to him, which means that I have very few conflict games if any. I love multiplayer solitaire just like Rahdo, which makes him my go-to reviewer. Especially since we both do mainly 2 player gaming. Like others have said, watch reviews of games you know and like and see what reviewers agree with you. Games are liked and disliked so you need to find someone that's close to your style. Rahdo is the closest to me, although there are plenty of games that we disagree on.

Edit- Also, randomness is something in games that many Eurogamers don't like. And war games seem to be pretty heavy in randomness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iirc, rahdo also specifically dislikes pick up and deliver games and games where you roll dice to determine the success or failure of an action, (descent, mice and mystics) so these types of games would not make it to his top 10 lists and only get videotaped if a backer of his kickstarter requests it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
Rahdo prefers to build things than to knock them down. That has been handy for me as my wife does not like games where you attack each other. What is to be gained if Rahdo reviews games he is predisposed to hate? Is that how he wants to spend his time? That would be like asking Zee at Dice Tower to cover the 18xx range.

And other folks cover the combat stuff. Marcowargamer is my fave in that department, and I like DriveThru Review for a broad coverage of games.

For me if you have a broad-ish taste then it's good to have multiple sources for reviews.

e.g. some card games, I like to check out Boardgame Brawl.

Would love to see Rahdo review Dominion. If memory serves, he likes it, and the shiny new second editions are out.

Heck I might pay money to see Rahdo and Jen play Memoir '44 or even better, King of Tokyo.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harding
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
merely a dingbat pushing little wooden bits around a game board
mbmbmbmbmb
givemeInfoplease wrote:
roll for the galaxy... "combat" game

Wait, what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Rhados strenght is that he present how the game plays and flows very well. It really helps to know if I would like the game or not.

What he dislike/like is not that interesting to be honest, no offence to him I watch maybe 25-50% of the final thoughts after I watch a runthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Whoa that Rahdo game collection is humongous. Most people never even heard about so many games he has played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
Rahdo dislikes meaningful interaction between players, which is to say prefers multiplayer solitaire games. He has a large following as he is not the polar opposite of many (on this site).

Him and I could not be further apart on the spectrum (I probably wargame more than anything), so he is not a terribly good resource for me, except a shining review typically means avoid. In bizarro world we both greatly enjoy Agricola, but play it very different ways (denial strategies and starving your opponent are a good part of the game when I'm at the table .

Maybe he doesn't have your list of 'classics' as he doesn't enjoy them (those are all pretty recent)? A reviewer need not ride the boat so to speak. Ticket to ride is something I've hated since it's inception.

Theoretically Kyle and I agree on a lot but not on Rahdo. Yeah, he's a carebear (as he says himself) but he's upfront about it and I'm fine with that approach. Radho plays 2-player and so his reviews focus on that aspect of games, which is quite helpful for me because a lot of my gaming is with my wife. She's also somewhat conflict averse so his focus on a game's level of conflict is again useful. (My wife is less conflict averse than Rahdo so often if I hear him say a game has a bit too much meanness for him, I'll decide it's probably not too much for her.)

When I want war game reviews I look elsewhere, like to Marco Arnaudo.
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb

And yeah, Kyle is right, Ticket to Ride is a tool of Satan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dingbat Meeplepusher wrote:
givemeInfoplease wrote:
roll for the galaxy... "combat" game

Wait, what?

I wondered about that too. Is it the violent clattering of the dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zjensen3 wrote:
He's a Eurogamer.

Being a eurogamer doesn't mean that one only likes multiplayer solitaire, or that one dislikes conflict and harming one's opponents in games. Conflict and hindering opponents is perfectly possible in most eurogames.

(E.g. bidding a plant you don't want just to raise the price for someone who definitely needs it, buying extra resources to raise the price, blocking builds in Power Grid; various tile and meeple placements to hurt opponents in Carcassonne; blocking people in Ticket To Ride or Kingdom Builder; etc).

It's just that some eurogamers choose to not do anything like that, for whatever reason.

But many other eurogamers certainly use such "non-carebear" techniques when playing eurogames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
givemeInfoplease wrote:
Yea, DT (obviously) and sit up/shut up are my 2 go to ones. The rest may be interesting to others, but they are more "blah" to me. You have to entertain your viewers too when reviewing and both of these do it the best, that latter even more so.

I like some of the others for tutorials, for certain games, but the other two off so much more.

Check out Inside the Box. Hilarous, and they cover conflict games. Great production values, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo has repeatedly mentioned how him and his wife are Carebears in terms of conflict. It is one of the reasons I tend to ignore his reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Being a eurogamer doesn't mean that one only likes multiplayer solitaire, or that one dislikes conflict and harming one's opponents in games. Conflict and hindering opponents is perfectly possible in most eurogames.

Not all eurogamers are conflict averse but the vast majority of conflict averse players are eurogamers. (Well, and party gamers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like him for the fact that his reviews are very thorough. I've got a pretty eclectic taste in games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
Read. Work on gathering up geek buddies of all kinds (especially those who comment). Then when you see a game, along with a review, you can see how your geek buddies rate and comment on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo is a great resource. It feels like there aren't as many reviewers reviewing euro games, epecially the heavier ones, at least in the video format. Rahdo covers most of them (although it really feels like he's reviewing KS stuff more lately.)

But, yes, Rahdo is a carebear and he freely admits it. There is no issue there. We all like different things and the more conflict heavy style games seem well covered elsewhere.

If you want someone who reviews eurogames but can relish in the conflict some of them can provide I say check out Joel Eddy at Drive Through Reviews. He matches my tastes the best. His favorite game is Caylus, which Rahdo passed off as being too mean, which to be honest, still somewhat boggles my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
russ wrote:
zjensen3 wrote:
He's a Eurogamer.

I didn't say he didn't like hindering his opponents or trying his best to win. One of his favorite games is Castles of Burgundy and that game is full of taking things that you want but also what your opponent might want. That's not conflict in my eyes.

Every game has to have some level of affecting the other players. Worker placement games, which many are full blown eurogames, are all about blocking your opponent. I love viticulture, but I would never want to play cry havoc with my wife and try to kill her. Both affect other players but only one has conflict in my eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zjensen3 wrote:
russ wrote:
zjensen3 wrote:
He's a Eurogamer.

I didn't say he didn't like hindering his opponents or trying his best to win. One of his favorite games is Castles of Burgundy and that game is full of taking things that you want but also what your opponent might want. That's not conflict in my eyes.

Whether it's conflict or negative interaction or hindrance or harming or whatever, the distinctions don't really matter here: the point is that he does not like very much of That Kind Of Thing (he calls himself a care-bear, after all), and I understood you to be saying that his being a care-bear was explained by the mere fact that he is a eurogamer.

(Like if someone is wondering why someone can speak German, and someone answers "He is from Germany".)

Quote:
Every game has to have some level of affecting the other players. Worker placement games, which many are full blown eurogames, are all about blocking your opponent. I love viticulture, but I would never want to play cry havoc with my wife and try to kill her. Both affect other players but only one has conflict in my eyes.

And many eurogamers are happy to cry havoc and destroy their opponents. I.e. he's not a care-bear merely because he likes euros; otherwise all euro players would be care-bears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.