Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my game arrives later today, and def have been looking forward to it! and i knew going in it was/is a 3p game...and i will have a chance to play 3p from time-to-time, but would get to play it a lot more if there was some way to play it with just 2 (without losing all that the game has to offer).

anyone come up with a legit 2p "variant" yet? thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been discussed on several older threads, even though some feel it works just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
This has been discussed on several older threads, even though some feel it works just fine.
i quickly scanned through the 360+ posts and only saw one "2p related" post, and that was from quite a while ago...i was hoping that now some time has gone by, and more people have the game/have played the game, that someone might have a "new idea" on how to proceed when playing with only 2...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
Try the 'Variants' section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sena
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Just play it 2p. Understand, that one player may get lucky and quickly get a lead on the the other that cannot be recovered from.

If nothing else, it lets you become familiar with the rules for when you do have a third player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
helmbreaker wrote:
Just play it 2p. Understand, that one player may get lucky and quickly get a lead on the the other that cannot be recovered from.

I agree.

The only real problem is that there is a good chance of a runaway leader, to the point where the endgame is an inevitable grind of 30-45 minutes. The 3+ player is important for endgame balance. If the game does become unrecoverably lopsided in a 2-player game, the other player should just concede so you can start a new game.

That issue, plus the fact that Trade doesn't really work well with 2-players.

As long as both players understand this, it could still be a fun experience for you.

helmbreaker wrote:
If nothing else, it lets you become familiar with the rules for when you do have a third player.

It also simulates having a solitaire-minded third player who's not actually playing to win by teaming up to knock down the common threat. It happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oncoming Storm
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
We're thinking of removing the red Exploration cards from our next 2p play through. The only times we've had a runaway leader, the loser has drawn 2-3 more red cards than the eventual winner, and couldn't recover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OncomingStorm wrote:
We're thinking of removing the red Exploration cards from our next 2p play through. The only times we've had a runaway leader, the loser has drawn 2-3 more red cards than the eventual winner, and couldn't recover.
for those of you who've played, might this help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
OncomingStorm wrote:
for those of you who've played, might this help?

it would take away some of the bad luck, so its not a bad idea. some of those bad events are really really bad lol.

side effect would be making it safer to explore with fleets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
According to one thread in Reddit, at the demoes GF9 recommended playing Federation vs Romulan for a two-player-game, since the Klingons don't work that well (or perhaps too well) with one other player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Horvat
Croatia
California
flag msg tools
Honestly,

the game, like majority of board/card games, isn't designed to be 2 player game. Plain and simple.

We can all try to fix it, but there is nothing to fix.

Like trying to drive a car with 3 wheels. Yeah, you can all try to squeeze towards opposite corner of the car for balance, but that wont last long.

You can play 2p games as "dry runs" for "real games"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horwath wrote:
Honestly,

the game, like majority of board/card games, isn't designed to be 2 player game. Plain and simple.

Like trying to drive a car with 3 wheels. Yeah, you can all try to squeeze towards opposite corner of the car for balance, but that wont last long.

i get all that, but still am looking for suggestions for making a 2p game enjoyable...will try to play 3p whenever possible, but for those times when 2p is my only option i'm just trying to see if it can be done...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe a possibility is to play with 3 factions and have the 3rd faction alternately controlled by both players.
so even turns ine player controls it, uneven turns the other player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horwath wrote:
Honestly,

I really have an issue with this mindset of 2 player games or game variants not being "real" games. 80% of the time, if not more, I only play games with my wife because we don't have a game group we can commit to for various reasons. Most of the rest of 20% is solo gaming, and a fair amount of that is with games that "can't" be played solo. If games are supposed to be for the fun of it, and one really does have fun with whatever variant, what does it matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rodger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've only played a few games, but the two-player games we played seemed fine as is. Of course, I won, so that helps, and we were playing Fed/Romulan. I can see how a two-player game with the Klingons could be problematic. But otherwise it's a race with luck being a factor. That's not a problem for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RARodger wrote:
I've only played a few games, but the two-player games we played seemed fine as is. Of course, I won, so that helps, and we were playing Fed/Romulan. I can see how a two-player game with the Klingons could be problematic. But otherwise it's a race with luck being a factor. That's not a problem for me.

Agree I totally have fun 2 player as is no variant just understand the game for what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think a 2 player would work if there was an NPC faction to act as a 3rd player (Like Bajorans or Borg). It is just IMHO that any NPC faction should be a playable faction in larger game (3 or more players). But in a 2 player game NPCs are NPCs and cannot be played as one of the two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.