Subject: Heal rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Hi everyone

So this came up in my last play

Spoiler (click to reveal)
A location had (Heal 3 horror (Once pr. game))

Now my character had 2 horror, furthermore i had 2 assets with 1 horror each. So the questions are as following.

1. Would it be possible to use the heal to heal an asset.

2. If so would it be possible to split the heal between myself and my assets as you do with damage and horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Heal' in the rules reference says:

“Heal” is an instruction to remove the indicated amount of damage or the indicated amount of horror from a card.
==If a card is healed for more damage or horror than it currently has on it, remove as much of the indicated amount as possible.

This doesn't preclude healing an asset, since it talks about removing damage/sanity from a 'card'.

The text of the relevant cards reads:

First Aid
[Action] Spend 1 supply: Heal 1 damage or horror from an investigator in your location.

Medical Texts
[Action]: Choose an investigator at your location and test [Intellect] (2). If you succeed, heal 1 damage from that investigator. If you fail, deal 1 damage to that investigator.

Both talk about healing damage/horror from an 'investigator'. That could be taken to mean just the investigator card, or could be taken to include his assets.

What would make most real world sense would be for only investigators and allies to be able to be affected by those two cards, as you cannot perform first aid or use medicine to heal anything other than a living creature. However, I've not seen anything in the rules which makes that distinction. Personally I'd go with that in the absence of clarity. Perhaps there will be 'repair' type cards later which can only 'heal' items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Well furthermore there are locations that do as i say in the spoiler part. Thoose do not even include the investigator keyword

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Grim Rule!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good question!

The rules entry on Heal is indeed not very comprehensive.
I'd think that healing should word the same way as taking damage/horror:

Quote:
“Take X damage” is shorthand for “deal X damage to your investigator.”
“Take X horror” is shorthand for “deal X horror to your investigator.”

So "Heal X damage" is shorthand for "heal X damage from your investigator".

This is not actually in the rulebook. I asked Matt Newman (the designer), and he confirmed that it works the same way. He'll add it to the FAQ.

He said that you cannot heal your assets unless an effect specifically instructs you to do so. Reassigning damage/horror to assets is a special rule that only applies to taking damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Its not written Heal 3 direct horror so i guess you can heal your assets too. At least i will!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Conklin

Jacksonville
Florida
msg tools
Most card games you read the rule as written on the card. So if it states heal the "investigator" I would think that you could only heal the "investigator" not an asset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrCee wrote:
Most card games you read the rule as written on the card. So if it states heal the "investigator" I would think that you could only heal the "investigator" not an asset.

Sure, that's why the OP was asking about a situation where the word "investigator" wasn't used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.