Hide
14 Posts

The Others» Forums » General

Subject: Best expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt O
msg tools
I'm looking into getting this game in the near future and I was just hoping to get some opinions on some of the best expansion sets to start with. Basically looking for ones that add content without over complicating the rules. I don't want to over complicate things right off the bat. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Umbra0118 wrote:
I'm looking into getting this game in the near future and I was just hoping to get some opinions on some of the best expansion sets to start with. Basically looking for ones that add content without over complicating the rules. I don't want to over complicate things right off the bat. Thank you.

Starting with just the core retail box, post KS....

A lot of people will say "get Apoclaypse" but I'm getting the vibe you want more of the same, and Apocalypse feels -just- different and distinct enough that you may be disappointed. It's good, and you -should- get it, but save it for last is my advice.

Probably go with one of the "Team" boxes. They offer more heroes, more Acolytes, and more city tiles. Something for everyone. I'd say Gamma Team is my favorite, as it offers a Gorilla hero and another Werewolf (and 3 more heroes besides!). By the time you snag the other Team boxes, then you'll be ready for more Sins. My advice there is to look around, and see what Sins appeal more to you (or your group), either thematically or mechanically (I think you can see all the cards and sculpts by this point in the images section here).

Also, if you like the setting and style of the game, the art book is a fun way to spend $20! No gameplay material whatsoever, but a fun addition to a collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't want to overcomplicate things, why not stick with the core for a while?

But if you do desperately want an expansion or two, I'd say get the FAITH team that appeals to you before getting an additional Sin (find out about each team on the KS).

IIRC Other than the Apocalypse box, which may be seen as complicating things, the boxes don't add any new missions. The enemy boxes 'just' add new enemies and the hero team boxes add heroes, upgrade cards and tiles (& new map layouts, using the new tiles, for existing missions).

The core gives decent map variety and some enemy variety, but you would have the same 7 heroes.

But if you wanted, while making sure that the game works for you, you could just use the minis in the core as proxies for the other heroes (as you can find the other heroes' stats here on BGG iirc).

You could probably proxy the corrupted X's as well, as the KS describes what most of them have as a special ability.

You may want more upgrade cards, but you could live without them!

Note - that I was all in on the KS. If you like the game & theme I'd say get it all. I'm just fighting off Greed & being cautious for your wallet until you know you like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:
Probably go with one of the "Team" boxes. They offer more heroes, more Acolytes, and more city tiles.

I forgot that Acolytes are in the team boxes - My addled memory thought they were in Sins!

It's the curse of being a UK backer still waiting for the game to arrive in Europe (post-Hanjin collapse).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt O
msg tools
Alright thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably end up getting some team and sin packs to start and see where things go. Hopefully getting at least the core as a Christmas gift or just buying it when I get too impatient to wait for it.

One more question. I tend to play a lot of games solo and play both sides of the game. Is that even possible with this game? I know it's probably not the best way to play any game intended for two players, but I don't always have people to play with and I get anxious to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
The only expansion that adds really new rules is the apocalypse expansion and even these rules are in a small leaflet and are only used in one specific story. The other expansions basically either add heroes, acolytes, and city tiles or they add a new sin. These expansions simply add new figures with new special abilities, but they do not change the rules of game per se.

I am not sure how much fun the game would be when played solo. This is really a cut-throat tactical 1 vs Many game. There is not much story there to enjoy during the games. Although it would certainly be good practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt O
msg tools
Oh, so the new rules in Apocalypse are contained to just those stories? That's good to know. So if I buy that and go play stories from the core game, I basically wouldn't use anything from the apocalypse set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Bjerregaard
Denmark
Grenaa
Danmark
flag msg tools
mb
There is a map including apocalypse tiles in each of the teamboxes from the kickstarter, but other than that you won't miss the apocalypse content. I tried a couple of games alone before playing it with others, and it was certainly good practice, and it made the first game a lot easier, but it was also somewhat fun.

I think you could quite easily come up with some ai-rules for the sins player to make solo-play enjoyable, as the dice play for the heroes is highly tactical, but for the sins it’s very straight forward depending on brute force. Make a pile of each type of sins card and decide how often it gets to use them depending on hero free altars. The monsters’ movement rules would also be quite obvious most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Just a short explanation concerning the Apocalypse expansion: this expansion only contains 1 new story (i.e. The End Times) with 2 maps usable with the base game and this expansion. There are 3 other maps for this new story in the box, but each requires one team expansion. Now, the new equipement cards in this expansion are obviously also used with the other stories, but the four horsemen and the Apocalypse figures as well as any new rules are only used it the story The End Times. Thus, unless you grow bored with the stories in the base game, I would stick to team expansions and sin expansions, and only when you grow tired of the normal mode of play, buy the Apocalypse expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt O
msg tools
Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
I have to correct myself. The apocalypse expansion does only contain maps for the included Story 'The End Times'. However, there are specific maps that use tiles from the team expansions. But the team expansions contain one map for each of the 7 stories included in the base game. Thus, as mentioned above, buying team expansions and Sin expansions first and the apocalypse expansion last seems to be the best idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I think your best bet is definitely a new team box first, followed by a sin box (or 5). The apocalypse box is awesome if you love huge miniatures, but most of it is not usable except for the apocalypse mission.

I think the main thing that people grow a bit tired of in the core box is the number of heroes. You'll use all of them for every game. Adding in a few more to choose from is a great way to give the hero players a little bit of choice, and with the additional equipment cards, acolytes, and maps for each mission, the hero boxes really are the best way to expand the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hack Fraysn
Germany
flag msg tools
I got the FAITH pledge + Apocalypse + Men of Faith. Here's what I can recommend:

None of the boxes make the game complicated, not even Apocalypse, so you're safe to get whatever appeals to you the most.

However, I'd say get just the base game and play it a couple of times until you and your group know how to play the game. Seriously, I know it's tempting, but you don't really need any of the expansions, especially in the beginning. What you get in the core box is just amazing and once you know what your favorite playstyle is, do some research on the hero/sin mechanics in that box and you'll know what expansion you want to add to your collection.

I'd say get a new hero box and a sin box of your choice, if you really want to spend some cash. The best thing about the hero/sin expansions is: They come with extra dice!

So far I haven't found a sin that felt weak or underwhelming. Each of them is strong and Eric Lang did a great job creating mechanics for them that are both strong and fit thematically. If any Sin boxes appeal to you, get them. You can't go wrong with them.

The heroes vary in strength, but so far I haven't felt like there are "useless" heroes. Most of them have strenghts according to their role. Zhi from the Men of Faith box is the only one so far who I feel like he's a tad overpowered - if you let him survive fights, that is.

Apocalypse is great, if you want to add more difficulty to your games. Otherwise you're better off with a hero+sin expansion. I'd get Apocalypse last.

[tl;dr] If you really want to spend some cash, grab a sin and a hero box of your choice, because they give you some variety and probably most important: Extra dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Can any if you compare/contrast Delta and or Gamma team? If you already are expecting the faith pledge, are these two additional teams worth getting over the heroes you already have? And between delta and omega do you have a favorite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.