8 Posts

Oh My Goods!: Longsdale in Aufruhr» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Wonderful Expansion to an Underappreciated Gem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Wickens
msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh My Goods! suffers from a silly name and a mixed response from reviewers. Tom Vasel saw potential in it but only judging it on first edition rules gave it 4 stars.

The game is a fun cousin of games like Race for the Galaxy and San Juan in that it is a multi use card game with a tableaux building elements. Like Race much of the game happens simultaneously so it has a very quick play time. You cannot use many of the buildings in your tableaux at once and there are very few special powers that come into play so its never hard keeping track of what is going on.

The game had a few problems, there is a lot of luck in the game and even with the second edition rules is a little vulnerable to someone rushing to end the game by just building the cheapest buildings. Also the deck ends up being shuffled quite a bit in a multiplayer game. Also it feels like a big idea in a little box which is one of its charms but the game does not perhaps deliver all that the mechanisms could offer and it can feel like quite a lot of rules and concepts for people to get if you are introducing it at the end of the night as a filler.

This expansion does so much to enhance the base game and also manages to add a unique story element to the game that is kind of like Time Stories/ Pandemic Legacy but on a smaller scale but with much more replayability.

The original game is 110 cards and this adds 120 new cards to the game. Of these cards maybe 10 are only used in the solo game and maybe 30 or so are duplicated with one set being in German and the other in English so you are still getting 80 or so cards added to the multiplayer game of which about half are events/ story cards and the rest are cards that will eventually get added to the draw deck.

Instead of the game being a variable (and potentially exploitable) number of rounds there are now 9 rounds (10 for the solo game). At the start of each round an event card will be turned over. Some of these cards tweak the rules for the round, some give options such as triggering a production chain where as other cards add new elements to the game such as extra buildings that can be bought from the assistant display or cards to be shuffled into the draw deck. Some of these cards add to the story, all of them add choices, direction, theme and make the game more fun and varied.

Instead of the game being a simple goal to get the most victory points there are also bonuses or penalties if certain things are or are not done. There are also some cards that add a little to the interaction after one of the main aspects of interaction (when the game ends) has been removed.

The event deck works very well and does not take long to set up for each scenario. Although it can add some luck to the game once you are familiar with the cards it also reduces the randomness in other ways because you know some of the options it provides so you have more ways to hedge against the other elements of randomness in the game with extra chances to draw cards, extra chances to trigger production chains and other benefits. Although some of these will occasionally make the game harder for thematic reasons they generally give you more options and make it easier to get the combinations working together that gamers so often enjoy and probably reduce randomness overall.

As for the story itself - well how many great books are 5 short chapters? The story is interesting enough, adds lots of theme and variety to the game but feels like any good story it ends a chapter or two sooner than I would want it to. There is plenty of replay-ability after all the chapters are played including two sets of alternate chapters depending on which option you pick and a suggested way to play the game once you have played through the chapters.

A lot of expansions just add a little more of the same or hedge bets and add different modules that are often just slightly inferior ways of playing, slighly more complex versions of the same etc. that add variety but do not add much new or enhance the game. This adds event cards which make a big impact on the game, it adds a story mode and chapters and it adds 40 or so cards that will add a decent amount of variety (and less need to shuffle) when playing the game with everything thrown in. It can be introduced to new players (starting with the first chapter) and for more experienced players they can either play through the story or throw everything in together.

It also adds a very solid solo mode for a game that really makes sense as a solo game as well as a competitive game as there are very few interactive elements and it plays very smoothly. The solo mode is well designed and does not just feel thrown in.

This is an expansion that makes the game better for those who loved it with a range of interesting ways to make use of the extra content, offers a cheap and interesting flavor of more story based gaming without harming replayability and for anyone who had some problems or issues with this game the expansion fixes them all to make this a great quick playing game with a lot of randomness but full of interesting choices and variety.

If you dont want randomness in your games, card games with card draws are unlikely to be your thing and this has more luck than either San Juan or Race for the Galaxy but if you enjoy some push your luck randomness or are happy to cope with it then this is a great choice. Without some support this might not get more widely distributed so if you didnt get it at Essen I suggest picking it up whilst stocks last from the publisher. They even threw in a promo for Agricola with my copy so you never know there might be a fun bonus inside your copy too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I agree. This is one of the more game-changing expansions I've seen. I was at an "Essen game night" at my FLGS last weekend and someone had brought a copy of OMG! That included the base game and the expansion. That would be a really nice thing to see more widely published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael huckins
United States
savannah
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. I got a copy coming from lookout, can't wait. Oh my goods is our go to short game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klemens Franz
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way to boost playability is to add little brown cubes and use them instead of the backsides of the cards, This way all buildings are in play, you have to shuffle less and it's easier to see how many goods of each type you have.

It makes the game probably easier ... since the chance to find a needed builing seems to be higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yegor Sadoshenko
Ukraine
Dniepropetrovsk
Dniepropetrovsk region
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mavericius wrote:
Another way to boost playability is to add little brown cubes and use them instead of the backsides of the cards, This way all buildings are in play, you have to shuffle less and it's easier to see how many goods of each type you have.

It makes the game probably easier ... since the chance to find a needed builing seems to be higher.

I'd suggest using cubes of the color of the building. That makes it even better. And that's how we play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wickens
msg tools
mbmbmb
I did not mention in my review but the expansion also comes with a few 5 item cards which does make it easier too. Not tried using cubes but I can see that working. The only things against doing so is that I quite like how when you place a resource on a good as part of a chain reaction it has an impact of making their be one less of that resource in the deck which I find thematic and interesting. Still can see it making the game play smoother. Thanks for the tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klemens Franz
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
YeGor wrote:
Mavericius wrote:

I'd suggest using cubes of the color of the building. That makes it even better. And that's how we play it.

Ohhhh my! Even better, indeed! I have to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mavericius wrote:
YeGor wrote:
Mavericius wrote:

Ohhhh my! Even better, indeed! I have to try.

Regarding ways to reduce reshuffling: when we pay for something using face down goods, we place the goods onto the draw pile rather than discard them.

I'm not a fan of the cube idea, because it reduces portability, which is one of the charming features of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.