Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R Hilton
United States
Millburn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am uncertain about the rules governing if and when a player may substitute an army for corps, and vice versa. For the sake of these questions, assume we are dealing with one nation, and all units are in the same location and have the same status (Field or Trench). Let's also assume the necessary counters for any substitution remain in the mobilization pool.

Can a player replace an army with two corps? If so, are there restrictions on when a player may do so?

Conversely, can a player replace two corps with one army?

If an army of a nation with no remaining NRCs must take combat losses, can it replace the army with a corps (assuming a single corps would cover the necessary combat losses)? Rule 10.11.5 seems to suggest this one is allowed, but I wanted to check on my interpretation.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lewis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools

6.2 Loss of Mobilization Pool Units

When a Ground or Naval Unit is lost it may never be replaced. For major powers (Britain, France, Russia; the United States, Italy, Germany and Austria-Hungary) the loss of a Corps counts as one-half of an Army and upon the loss of a subsequent Corps an Army must be removed from that country’s Mobilization Pool. Lost Corps may always be Mobilized anew until the available supply of Armies has been exhausted, at which point the loss of a Corps becomes permanent. Marine Units that have been lost may always be Mobilized again without injury to, or interference from, the Mobilization Pool, but no country may have more Marine Units than allowed it in the Game equipment.

6.3 Disbanding Formations

A Player may, at any time during his Reinforcement or Ground Combat Segments return a Ground unit to his Mobilization Pool, thereby disband- ing it. A Ground Unit that is disbanded restores to the Player one-half of the Mobilization Cost paid when the Unit was Mobilized. In the case of a Major Power, Armies may be exchanged for one Corps plus ½ of the Mobilization Costs for a second Corps. Disbanding to meet combat loss causes a unit to be destroyed. Ground Units that have been disbanded are able to be Mobilized during a Reinforcement Segment on which the appropriate Player is able to pay full Mobilization Costs and wait the normal Mobilization period. Naval Units may not be disbanded. Only 8-10 Naval Units may be mobilized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hilton
United States
Millburn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand what you are suggesting, and I am not sure that I do, the answers to my first two questions seem to be "No" and "No," you cannot make the kinds of substitutions I am asking about (army for corps, and vice versa). Rather, the only way that one can approximate what I am asking is to go about it indirectly, via disbanding unit(s) and then mobilizing new ones, which is obviously costly. Moreover, the locations in which one could make this kind of switch are limited to those in which a player can mobilize a unit. The basis for these two questions of mine is no doubt grounded in the many games I have played in which substitutions between larger and smaller sized units can usually be made fairly freely. Evidently, not so in The Great War 1914-1915.

My third question remains (to me) a bit unclear. Rule 6.3 that you cite states "Disbanding to meet combat loss causes a unit to be destroyed." Suggesting that if an army is the unit in question, it is all lost, even if, say, it only had to cover a combat loss of 1 NRC in the event the nation had 0 NRC left. But Rule 10.11.5 states that in this situation "Units must be lost in Corps sizes. Thus, if a Player needs but one NRC to meet his Combat Loss and has no NRC Balance, he must lose an entire Corps;" I had interpreted that to mean that if a player only had an army in the combat location, he could pay off an NRC loss of 3 (or 4 for Germany) by replacing an army with a corps. Evidently not?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.