BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: First H. P. Lovecraft rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eugenio
Argentina
flag msg tools
Guys hi!
I know there are lots of threads regarding this topic but although I read a lot of them, I couldn't resolve my question.

I am looking for a nice SOLO game (mostly) and can't decide between Elder Sign, The Cards Of Cthulhu or wait for Arkham Horror: The Card Game. I have heard good things about Eldritch Horror too but it seems like one of those games that when you finish setting up the board, you are already tired. I own Mage Knight and I get that feeling a lot.
Any help, really appreciated.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know The Cards of Cthulhu, but from those you listed, Elder Sign is the easiest to handle and play solo.

Have you looked at Mansions of Madness: Second Edition ? Haven't played it yet, but heard a lot of good things here, including the solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's going to be pricey in the long run, but my vote would go to Arkham Horror: The Card Game. The expansions should make it highly replayable, and it's designed for solo or co-op play up to four (with two core boxes). I think FFG is really getting the hang of this LCG thing... goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror is quite a bit easier than Mage Knight. I also find the setup a bit quicker, because you don't need to shuffle lots of tokens and pile them afterwards - and the game is not such a brainburner and more driven by story-telling. It still takes its setup-time though.

I also own Elder Sign, but I don't really like it. It has just too many rules for such a dull dice-chucking experience. I would always prefer Eldritch Horror. Definitely.

Personally, I would wait for Arkham Horror The Card game. It is based on the mechanics Lord of the Rings LCG, which already was quite ok, but definitely could take some streamlining. If they did this right (and it seems they did), Arkham will be a blast. What I have seen of the artwork so far is great too! I hardly can wait for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Howe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat and will echo what the posters above have said, I'm waiting for the LCG.

Icy Ghoul description: "Inside the tunnels beneath the house, a massive beast tears its way out of the ice. It is covered in a thick layer of frost, its breath visible in the bitter cold."

Not too dissimilar from describing the game itself when it arrives on my frigid doorstep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
robotbunny wrote:
I'm in the same boat and will echo what the posters above have said, I'm waiting for the LCG.

Icy Ghoul description: "Inside the tunnels beneath the house, a massive beast tears its way out of the ice. It is covered in a thick layer of frost, its breath visible in the bitter cold."

Not too dissimilar from describing the game itself when it arrives on my frigid doorstep.

I'll take a guess you are in the Mid West.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugenio
Argentina
flag msg tools
Kyur wrote:
I don't know The Cards of Cthulhu, but from those you listed, Elder Sign is the easiest to handle and play solo.

Have you looked at Mansions of Madness: Second Edition ? Haven't played it yet, but heard a lot of good things here, including the solo game.

Yes i have! But from what I've read, not much replay value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I *love* Eldritch Horror.

It's not nearly as draining as Mage Knight (which I don't care for), but yes, there's a fair bit of setting up and stuff going on...

But it's such a good game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:

It's not nearly as draining as Mage Knight (which I don't care for), but yes, there's a fair bit of setting up and stuff going on...

Yeah, it's also my favourite Lovecraftian game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugenio
Argentina
flag msg tools
Kyur wrote:
mattprice wrote:

Yeah, it's also my favourite Lovecraftian game.

Thanks guys!
I'll check some gameplays then and try to make my mind.
I've just discovered Deep Madness and a new doubt appears... goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythos Tales. Coming out in a few weeks, and you can download the first case free from the Kickstarter.

Read the thread about the usual warnings of a new game company. Diemension Games hasn't told us of any project management experience of their staff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally prefer Elder Sign over all others, but I do also have Mansions of Madness: Second Edition which I enjoy too. I have since traded Elder Sign because I play it on my tablet mostly. I found the game upkeep to be a bit too fiddly, but I like the overall game. I guess that is why I went with Mansions of Madness: Second Edition over the first edition. The app removes a lot of reading and maintenance of the first edition game. As an alternative, there are on-line resources available to print and play the original Arkham Horror, which I understand to be much easier in terms of learning and playing than the newer version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Arce
Argentina
Rosario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with Elder Sign that is an easy to learn and play game but the Lovecraft theme is really light. After 8 plays I bought Arkham Horror and totally replaced for me. But AH is long, punishing and sometimes hard. But it's really thematic. So maybe you can follow the same path as I did. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want Elder Sign. Quick set up, great solitaire game. The app is good too if you want to try that out before you buy the physical version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugenio
Argentina
flag msg tools
Well I guess is:

1. Eldritch Horror
2. Elder Sign

But I have the feeling that is one or the other ...

I watched the whole playthrough of The Cards of Cthulhu by Paul Darcy and kinda liked it too.

Thanks to all for the help! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror is best with 4 characters. 2 players each controlling 2 characters works fine if you know the game, but controlling 4 at once can be exhausting even for a veteran, especially since this is a lengthy game.

You can of course play with less characters, but the problem here is that you cover less ground and your reaction times to local emergencies on the map will increase, making the game harder. Travelling is thematically relatively slow in this game, so the positioning and movement of the team is key for having a better chance of winning.

While Eldritch Horror is my favourite, I recommended Elder Sign in this case, because it flows faster, has a shorter playtime, there's less stuff to keep track of and it's overall a smaller and more compact game: smaller footprint on the table, smaller box, smaller price.

It's your decision of couse. Come back to tell us which game you got and if you liked it ! Have fun !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Arkham Horror to be a strictly better game than Eldritch Horror. But for solo play there are a couple reasons one might prefer Eldritch over Arkham:
1. For Arkham the game plays much better closer to the optimal investigator count of 4 investigators, up to and becoming more of a necessity of 6 investigators with all the expansions (Note: Never start playing Arkham with anything more than just the base game). Eldritch deviates less from the optimal investigator count of 4, with 2 investigators possibly being preferred to 3. However the luck of spatial relations and random events may have a greater impact on play with fewer investigators. With Eldritch you are probably fine mixing in expansions (especially Forsaken Lore and/or any expansion that adds the Focus mechanism) right from the start.
2. Eldritch scales play time with investigators much more than Arkham, which is a benefit for fewer players, but a hindrance when playing with more than 4 players.

- I would personally still prefer Arkham for solo play, but I'm crazy enough to not mind playing 6 investigators by myself.

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition seems to be much, much, much better than First Edition, except in one respect: in First Edition, during setup, the player playing the keeper had to make a number of decisions that would alter the story/mystery that the rest of players were trying to work through. If I recall correctly, there were about 3 basic stories per map/initial setup, so players replaying through the same map might have a completely different scenario/final goals to deal with. It seems like this might be even easier to design/implement and/or release with expansions in the app based version in Second Edition. So far however, I have seen no evidence that they have started working on this. Each of the 6 scenarios so far available seems to have only minor variations (e.g., a couple of search locations yield slightly different non-quest specific items) on repeat plays.
If they implemented multiple possible mysteries per map, this would get a much higher recommendation for solo play, as it is otherwise a vast improvement over First Edition and a solid game in it's own right.

Elder Sign is pretty decent for solo play. I would definitely recommend playing with 2 investigators. I also think it is much better with the Gates of Arkham expansion.

The Cards of Cthulhu I found uninspiring and rather dull. I haven't played it enough to give a good recommendation regarding player/investigator count.

I don't think Deep Madness is going to be released for a while; I don't think the kickstarter for it ended all that long ago. Cthulhu: A Deck Building Game has been released, and that one you are probably better off avoiding. Part of me wants to keep playing it (at least try every Ancient One and Investigator) to try and figure out how or why the designer thought the Ancient Ones and Investigators were balanced or how and why they thought the game was ready to be released. I know I should probably just spend my time on better games like Arkham or even Dark Gothic.

Your best bet may be the upcoming Arkham Horror: The Card Game, but I haven't gotten to demo that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugenio
Argentina
flag msg tools
tuckerotl wrote:
I find Arkham Horror to be a strictly better game than Eldritch Horror. But for solo play there are a couple reasons one might prefer Eldritch over Arkham:
1. For Arkham the game plays much better closer to the optimal investigator count of 4 investigators, up to and becoming more of a necessity of 6 investigators with all the expansions (Note: Never start playing Arkham with anything more than just the base game). Eldritch deviates less from the optimal investigator count of 4, with 2 investigators possibly being preferred to 3. However the luck of spatial relations and random events may have a greater impact on play with fewer investigators. With Eldritch you are probably fine mixing in expansions (especially Forsaken Lore and/or any expansion that adds the Focus mechanism) right from the start.
2. Eldritch scales play time with investigators much more than Arkham, which is a benefit for fewer players, but a hindrance when playing with more than 4 players.

- I would personally still prefer Arkham for solo play, but I'm crazy enough to not mind playing 6 investigators by myself.

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition seems to be much, much, much better than First Edition, except in one respect: in First Edition, during setup, the player playing the keeper had to make a number of decisions that would alter the story/mystery that the rest of players were trying to work through. If I recall correctly, there were about 3 basic stories per map/initial setup, so players replaying through the same map might have a completely different scenario/final goals to deal with. It seems like this might be even easier to design/implement and/or release with expansions in the app based version in Second Edition. So far however, I have seen no evidence that they have started working on this. Each of the 6 scenarios so far available seems to have only minor variations (e.g., a couple of search locations yield slightly different non-quest specific items) on repeat plays.
If they implemented multiple possible mysteries per map, this would get a much higher recommendation for solo play, as it is otherwise a vast improvement over First Edition and a solid game in it's own right.

Elder Sign is pretty decent for solo play. I would definitely recommend playing with 2 investigators. I also think it is much better with the Gates of Arkham expansion.

The Cards of Cthulhu I found uninspiring and rather dull. I haven't played it enough to give a good recommendation regarding player/investigator count.

I don't think Deep Madness is going to be released for a while; I don't think the kickstarter for it ended all that long ago. Cthulhu: A Deck Building Game has been released, and that one you are probably better off avoiding. Part of me wants to keep playing it (at least try every Ancient One and Investigator) to try and figure out how or why the designer thought the Ancient Ones and Investigators were balanced or how and why they thought the game was ready to be released. I know I should probably just spend my time on better games like Arkham or even Dark Gothic.

Your best bet may be the upcoming Arkham Horror: The Card Game, but I haven't gotten to demo that one.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!
I think I'll start with Elder Sign as others have recommended and let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks to all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug L
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love Arkham Horror and thought Elder Signs would be a good, quick solo game. I ended up trading Elder Signs. I found it was a long game with no real choices to make. Just move and roll dice again and again. I thought their wasn't much of a game. I have heard that the expansions help, but I think a base game should stand on its own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.