BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Completed My Gaming Table! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Gilbert
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
So I got into the board game hobby not to long ago and I got inspired by the different gaming tables out there. I use to be into woodworking back in High School, and I thought that this would be the motivation to get a wood shop setup. Nothing like hobbies combining to build on each other.

I found this solid oak table at Goodwill and was going to add some rails and accessories to it, but it also makes a great work bench so dedicating to gaming only seemed like a waste.

After looking at the complete tables, I was inspired by Jacob Williams table top configuration (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1229444/diy-gaming-table-to...) and decided to take that approach.

I first started with creating a frame around the table and attaching a sheet of plywood that was cut in half, which was then stained and coated with polyurethane.

I decided to go with 3 mm neoprene which I cut to size for the Table Top and it was a great decision.

Then I created a rail system in 4 parts that fits around the sides snugly

For accessories, I added fold down cup holders and strip LED lighting to the top and bottom (why? why not!)

I thought the table was a little too big but then I plopped down the extended Scythe board and laid out Mechs vs Minions and now I am happy with the size

Scythe

Mechs vs Minions

Because of this project, I got to get back into wood working, get a lot of new toys, uh I mean tools, tackle a lot of projects around the house and have an awesome table to gather around with friends and play a lot games.

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out.

Thanks for looking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the process of making a table at the moment - what were the dimensions on yours? (overall table and playing area)

Looks great by the way. Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gilbert
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
tonyf55 wrote:
I'm in the process of making a table at the moment - what were the dimensions on yours? (overall table and playing area)

Looks great by the way. Well done.

Thanks a rough estimate is that it is a little over 8' long and 4' wide. Play area is 7.5' long and 3.5' wide

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Andrea
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that you up-cycled a table from Goodwill. Kudos to you and a job very well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Sharkey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Great design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.