Antiquity» Forums » General

Subject: Reprint in 2017? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
From an interview with Splotter in the latest episode of the Heavy Cardboard podcast (around 1:30:50 mark):

Splotter wrote:
... and we may also do an Antiquity reprint next year as well [in addition to the new game they hope to release] ...

We can only hope laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
/pants with the effort of finally having caught his wallet, which managed to elude capture for a mile or two...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I broke down and bought a copy (for a reasonable $150) as I can't assume a reprint will happen, and even if it does a year is a long time whistle

However, if they find reason and release it in a smaller box and fix some of the atrocious art and components I'll definitely buy a new edition. The Indonesia reprint doesn't instill me with a lot of hope, however. So I will likely do my own thing with provided files on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will definitely buy a copy... especially if it comes with a bunch of oversized wooden grave tokens... even if I already own the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Wiersinga
Netherlands
Leiden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
I can confirm there will be a reprint in 2017!

We do not yet know anything more and are not taking orders yet, as we would first like to get all the Indonesia and Zimbabwe boxes out of the door.

JW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
Great. But if I may just leave you with one tip: Take. Your. Time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mawa
Netherlands
Steenwijk
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joriswiersinga wrote:

We do not yet know anything more and are not taking orders yet, as we would first like to get all the Indonesia and Zimbabwe boxes out of the door.

JW

Great News!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark van der werf
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fun company but boy do I urge them to get some help in the art department. Hope they rerelease it with some updated and good art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
Betcha they don't do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Markwerf wrote:
Fun company but boy do I urge them to get some help in the art department. Hope they rerelease it with some updated and good art.

I mean the buildings are a little rough, but everything else is pretty much a style on purpose. I love the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Markwerf wrote:

I mean the buildings are a little rough, but everything else is pretty much a style on purpose. I love the art.

The buildings are certainly rough, but I'd say they are also a style on purpose. I don't expect (or care for) them to change, but I wouldn't mind.

I hope the rest of the art remains though. I like it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RvdH
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Markwerf wrote:

For me the buildings are fine. However, I do find some of the goods hard to distinguish under low light. Especially fish and dye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player screens, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
Player screens, please.

Why? You would need gigantic screens to cover everything...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KlausKnechtskern wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:
Player screens, please.

Why? You would need gigantic screens to cover everything...

Because the rules specify their use, and they do not need to be gigantic.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87020/antiquity-player-sc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Castellanos
msg tools
mb
joriswiersinga wrote:

JW

So this is premature as you mentioned there is no immediate focus on the reprint, but I would like to ask anyways. I have never played the game in person, but I have seen photos and videos and I am wondering if something can be done to maybe reduce some of the fiddling around that is a well known feature of the game.

I am thinking of a separate player board that has a counter for each harvested good, similar to what someone made for Food Chain Magnate here maybe it would not need to go as high as ten, I'm not sure. That way you are not needing to keep each token individually. In addition you could potentially use double sided chits for the pollution/grass, pollution/water goods and pollution/mountain goods. So when harvesting a good you would move your counter up by what you harvested and then just flip over the chit, for water and mountain based goods. All the land based goods would still be single sided as far as I can figure.

Of course this all may not be feasible as I am not a game designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxer Santaros wrote:
joriswiersinga wrote:

JW

So this is premature as you mentioned there is no immediate focus on the reprint, but I would like to ask anyways. I have never played the game in person, but I have seen photos and videos and I am wondering if something can be done to maybe reduce some of the fiddling around that is a well known feature of the game.

<snip>

Of course this all may not be feasible as I am not a game designer.

Couple things I've observed from historical evidence; these are designs that are intentional, not through lack of planning. In the case of Indonesia, if they wanted to combine hull player and hull value, there were/are ways to do it but that wasn't deemed important. This is one of those things that people generally either accept and deal with it (or fix their own copies if it really bothers them) or they move on to other games.

Second, from a more present-oriented view; I highly doubt anyone connected to Splotter is excited to promise any upgrade/change potential, in any way, shape, or form given the recent flap about Indonesia. As our mantra is in project management; "under promise, over deliver."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Eis
Germany
Dortmund
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all: great news!

Changes are likely I guess, it's initial release was 2004. The problem I see here is that a) the current Indonesia (problem, inconsistencies, whatever) "thing" is still present and b) they're playtesting and fine tuning their new game, which should be their focus.

So we should wait and see what's coming. Maybe spring is the right time to announce something more precisely.

PS: I didn't played Antiquity yet modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
Fitzroy
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested in the reprint!

It would be great if they reduced the box size.

It would be amazing if they worked out a way to make pollution less fiddly. The 'country' tokens are so small and it's tricky to constantly have to stack all the little tokens. Fiddling with these components does slow the game down. Alas, I don't have any suggestions here. But I'm optimistic they can come up with something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that replacing the pollution tokens with plastic chips was a huge improvement. Also, those translucent black chips make the landscape look really grim and dirty.

Of course, this is likely too expensive (since you need hundreds of these tokens) and takes more space, so...

Reducing the box size to the smaller box size Splotter has recently used is not an option, as there's just too much card board. To fit in all the punch boards would require something closer to the Colonists or A Feast for Odin size, also it would require redesigning all the punchboards to smaller size. But perhaps that is possible. It would be better than the current coffin box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
How about this...

Yup. That was what I was thinking of when I said:

143245 wrote:
This is one of those things that people generally either accept and deal with it (or fix their own copies if it really bothers them) or they move on to other games.

I have a set of Indonesia which I've done extensive work on, and the game is, component-wise, just about exactly what I want it to be. That was my choice though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Eis
Germany
Dortmund
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't played the game yet, but I really like the artwork. Independently of possible changes of the goods from cardboard tokens to wooden or plastic tokens I would like to know if anyone can comment on the "white edges" of all these tokens. Are they like that intentional, to be recognized much easier when the board gets crowded? Or is it because of the fact, that the game is printed in 2004 and the chosen printers/cutters weren't that precise? I think they should be without those edges, but it's possible that because of all those brown colours the board get's too opaque (?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
rePhil wrote:
I didn't played the game yet, but I really like the artwork. Independently of possible changes of the goods from cardboard tokens to wooden or plastic tokens I would like to know if anyone can comment on the "white edges" of all these tokens. Are they like that intentional, to be recognized much easier when the board gets crowded? Or is it because of the fact, that the game is printed in 2004 and the chosen printers/cutters weren't that precise? I think they should be without those edges, but it's possible that because of all those brown colours the board get's too opaque (?)

It's intentional, like matting on a picture.

It probably does make it easier to pick out counters on a busy board.

I don't know if I'd change it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
ilmatyynyalukseni on täynnä ankeriaita
mbmbmbmbmb
on a board as cluttered as Antiquity can get clarity should always be foremost as opposed to "cooler looking"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.