Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom hero: Karma rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benton Winfrey
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Here is my most recent hero deck. Was going for a Kismet hero conversion so there may be some similarities. Any feedback/suggestions are appreciated.

Power:
Unraveling fate: Play a hex or draw a card. If you drew a lucky card you may play that card.
Incapacitated
- Discard the top 3 cards of a deck
- A hero may use a power
- A hero may play a card

One-shot,Lucky (14)

Rush of luck(3)
Karma regains 2 hp. You may shuffle any number of cards from your trash into your deck. You may draw or play a card, if you do Karma deals herself 1 infernal damage.

Unfortunate misfire(2)
The Villain target with the highest hp deals the villain target with the lowest hp 3 energy damage, the target dealt damage this way deals a target of your choice 1 psychic damage.

Destructive approach(2)
Destroy an environment card. Karma deals each non-hero target 2 projectile damage.

Stroke of misfortune(3)
Select a target. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until a hex is revealed, put the revealed hex on that target. Shuffle the other revealed cards into your deck. You may draw or play a card, if you do Karma deals herself 1 infernal damage.

Resourceful trickster(3)
Each hero may draw a card, if any hero has discarded a card since the end of your last turn, that hero may draw another card. Karma deals 1 target 2 melee damage.

"Summon the Talisman"(1)
Search your deck or trash for the heirloom and put it into play. You may draw or play a card, if you do Karma deals herself 1 infernal damage.

One-shot(4)

Twist of fate(2)
Karma deals each target 2x psychic damage, where x = the number of hexes on that target. Each hero target regains x hp

Wild tricks(2)
You may move any number of hexes to other targets. Reveal the top 2 cards of each deck in the same play area as a hex. You may discard one of the revealed cards for each deck. Karma deals 2 targets 1 projectile damage.

Ongoing(6)

Fortunate ploy(2)
When Karma would be incapacitated remove all lucky cards from her deck from the game, then restore Karma to 2x hp, where x = the number of cards removed this way. Power: Select two targets. All hexes each of those targets now effects both of the targets until the start of your next turn.

"As luck would have it"(2)
At the end of your turn reveal the top card of your deck, if it is a lucky card, play it, otherwise draw it.

Karmic interruption(1)
Whenever a target without a hex would be dealt damage you may discard the top card of your deck, if the discarded card was lucky you may redirect the damage to a target with a hex.

Karmic interruption(1)
Whenever a target with a hex would be dealt damage you may discard the top card of your deck, if the discarded card was lucky you may redirect the damage to a target without a hex.

Equipment,relic(1)

The heirloom
At the start of your turn you may move a hex to another target, if you do you may move this card to another play area. Increase damage dealt by karma by x, where x = the number of hexes in this play area. Power: Reveal the top 2 cards of this areas deck, you may arrange them back on top in any order, you may use a power. This power may be used by Karma even if it is in a different play area.

Ongoing,hex(13)

Tranquil distortion(2)
Play next to a target. The first time this target deals damage each turn, reduce it by 1. If a hero targets damage is reduced this way that target regains 2 hp. If this target leaves play destroy this card.

Vexing strength(2)
Play next to a target. the first time this target deals damage each turn increase it by 1. If a non-hero targets damage is increased this way a hero may play a card. If this target leaves play destroy this card.

Dangerous speed(2)
Play next to a target. The first time a card is played from this targets deck each turn this target deals itself 1 melee damage, if a hero is dealt damage this way that hero may draw a card. If this target leaves play destroy this card.

Corrupting fortitude(2)
Play next to a target. The first time this target is dealt damage each turn, reduce it by 1. If damage dealt to a non-hero target is reduced this way, this target deals a target of your choice 2 projectile damage. If this target leaves play destroy this card.

A twisted will(2)
Play next to a target. The first time this target is dealt damage each turn, increase it by 1. If damage dealt to a hero is increased this way that hero may use a power. If this target leaves play destroy this card.

Aura of rust(2)
Play next to a target. At the end of your turn you may destroy an ongoing or equipment card in this area. If a card is destroyed this way you must either reveal the top 2 cards of the areas deck and put one into play, or destroy this card.

The curse(1)
When you draw this card put it directly into play and draw another card. Whenever a hex would be destroyed you may discard a card to move the hex to another target. This card may not be moved to another play area. At the the end of your turn if this card is in your trash shuffle it and all cards without the lucky keyword into your deck, otherwise Karma deals herself 1 irreducible psychic damage.

Ongoing, limited(2)

"A double edged sword"
Whenever a hero target is dealt 3 or more damage by a hero target, play the top card of the deck belonging to the hero dealt damage. Power: Destroy a hex, if you do, Karma deals herself and 1 other target 2 toxic damage, then reveal cards from the top of your deck until a lucky card is revealed. put it into play and shuffle the other revealed cards into your deck.

Variant:

HP:26
Power:
Fortuitous charge: Karma deals 1 target x radiant damage, where x = the number of hexes next to you and your target.
Incapacitated:
- a hero draws a card
- put the top card of 2 decks into play
- destroy an ongoing card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
This deck is really neat, I like the thought process behind it and the mechanics. I do feel some of the cards are a bit too good and could be toned down a little so she cannot essentially single handed run a fight. For example, Rush of Luck is really strong. Maybe add a little bad to it or change the last choice so it is one or the other as having the option to pick on top of all else it does is pretty amazing for a 3 quantity card. Others are strong and I feel they are fine such as Destructive Approach. Very strong card, but only 2 of them limits repeatability and its chance of getting which I feel makes it perfect. Stroke of Misfortune feels really strong as well since it lets you do a lot for another 3 count card. Maybe just removing the play a card part will balance it. I saw some other possible changes, but not sure if they were worth mentioning as they may of been unnecessary. Mostly just wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Pretty sure you're going to run into some text length considerations if you ever put these into card templates.

You mention a Talisman without any card called that; I assume it's a typo for the Heirloom. Also, what is the point of having a single copy of a search card? Just have 2 talismans and make them Limited (like Ra's staff).

Vexing Strength and the Heirloom appear rather overpowered; 1 HP (at most) for a card play each round, up to 6 plays with things that hit every turn. Heirloom will lead to Wraith-like levels of manipulating the villain or beyond.

A lot of the card movement effects seem to mitigate ever having to make hard choices, because you can constantly change where you put stuff. You might consider stripping out the majority of these effects from the hexes/etc and instead making those effects part of a few one-shots/ongoings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benton Winfrey
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Great feedback, I added a self damage trigger for all of the draw or play a cards which should make those cards less powerful especially when she has buffs from the heirloom or vexing strength. I missed the typo on the heirloom search card but it is fixed now. The heirloom search card also acts as a lucky card that fuels fortunate ploy and karmic interruption. The moving effects on the hexes was so you had incentive to still play them on non character targets, whereas with someone like chrono-ranger I almost never put certain bounty's on anything but the villain because otherwise they would be lost quickly. I also brought the amount of deck manipulation on the heirloom down to prevent it from shutting anything down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always play Tranquil Distortion on Tachyon. Suddenly, Pushing The Limits nets her 1 health instead of 2 damage!

You'd save a lot of card space, and simplify the design if Hexes were only meant for non-hero targets. I understand the concern of having too few interesting choices in a single-target villain game, but since Jinx cards are only placed on Kismet's foes, the same should hold for Karma's Hexes.

I imagine she'd be a de-buffer more than a Captain Crunch clone with Ongoings instead of Constructs.

Consider simplifying your text further by moving all the "When this target is destroyed, discard 1 to move this Hex to another target" effects to a separate Ongoing that does just that.

If you are worried about the validity of non-character targets for Hexes, take a cue from Sky-Scraper. She puts Links on minor targets all the time because they're so easy to recover.

1 damage to self is a negligible price, especially when the deck offers damage reduction, as dealt and received. Even if it is felt, it's still insignificant on a One-Shot.

Bishop's right about Summon The Talisman.

Karmic Interruption is crazy good. Even at just one copy (which I'm not sure is the accurate count, since it is listed twice).

I imagine the best thing to do is empty the deck fast as possible (it features strong draw), play Rush Of Luck to return only all Lucky cards, get much free play from innate power and be godlike with Karmic Interruption.

The Curse is a big mistake. For a hero target without any damage reduction (or a Stealth Bot to ensure it's never hit), taking irreducible damage is meaningless. Dealing irreducible damage is amazing. All blasters love this. Taking all Hexes isn't bad, especially when they all have stronger bonuses than penalties for hero targets. (Does dealing -1 for you first hit matter when it's irreducible?) Especially since this might happen when 0-1 Hexes are in play. Shuffling any number of cards from each trash into their decks? Even if that wasn't game-breakingly strong, it would still slow the action to a crawl.

Including only a single copy of a card does not justify massive effects. With enough draw or deck manipulation, it's as good as found. If it isn't found, it isn't in the way; no big deal. If it is, we win ... wanna play again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benton Winfrey
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks for the continued feedback, I will consider these suggestions when I playtest her deck. For now I reworked the way the curse works to make it less powerful and more interesting, while also solving some other issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.