Hide
5 Posts

The Edge: Dawnfall» Forums » General

Subject: First opinions, problematic but hopefull. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arneth Lee
msg tools
Disclaimer: So far I have only seen the few playthroughs that are on yt, if there are rules available I missed I would love you to give me a link to them!

I'm still on the fence after the first glance. But from what I can see so far (and without a chance to test it myself this is mostly purely theory) there are many problems with this promising game.

Downsides:

- Random deployment (because everywhere) combined with random first player in the first turn. Meh. If I get second player with less groups to deploy, my best model is possibly hosed.

- Dice. Of course there are modifiers and everything, but with 1 die it still is and always will be very random, which makes making the right choices less important in comparision to simply rolling well. Using two dice (like WM/H and other board-/ tabletop games for example) give at the very least an average roll that minimizes chance and improves tactical decisionmaking, and wouldn't slow the game down at all.

On the fence:

- Lack of depth in tactic. this I can only say because I found no list so far of the cards included and thus have no idea

- Same goes for a lack in strategy. Don't know much about the freedom in army composition so far

- The movement system is beautifully easy. But, I feel like it could be too simplistic to make meaningfull choices. (again, not played yet, and I'd have to play that a few times to form an opinion)

- The point meter. If there are other victory conditions (scenarios) this can be migitated, but as of now it seems to be deathmatch mainly. Maybe we will get secret missions in the future, but as of now, I feel that these games will mostly be decided way before the game is "officially" over.

- Boardgame-Tabletop-out-of-the-Box is a concept that many have failed before, especially with that many factions and probably future army expansions.

Upsides:

- The movement system looks very intuitive, fast paced and I kinda like it. No nudging.

- Price.
For a board game,thats surly a lot of dough, but for
a tabletop game this is peanuts! Getting 6 factions double starters for 250 GBP? In other systems that's 3 models or 1 starter box. Depends on how much models will come out in the future, and how much they are plainly better than the starter models (as it always seems to be the case with first expansions in tt gaming). This also hinges if this will play like a miniatures wargame, or will have much less replayability, as I mentioned with my critic on tactic and strategy.

PS: Please feel free to share if you disagree with something I said. I'm still very curious about the game and are strongly considering backing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your concerns are valid, but here's why I decided to back anyway:

The designer has said, somewhere in the Kickstarter comments, that game play will be heavily scenario-based, so that alleviates the concern that it will be merely a slug-fest.

The cards will make a huge difference, as can be seen in the demo video. The ones shown are not mere stat modifiers, but add very interesting tactical layers.

One die plus modifiers does indeed provide fewer variables that two as in Warmachine. This can indeed suck the tactics and the fun right out of a game if the randomness isn't mitigated. In Dawnfall, it is: all models shown have multiple hit-points and the rules as explained in the demo video stipulate that one attack can never do more than one hit point of damage to a model, and you are only going to get to activate one or two models before passing turn. A lucky roll won't one-shot kill an undamaged unit before that unit gets to be put to use, and thus tactics remain more important than die rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awaken Realms
msg tools
publisher
Arneth,

Thanks for deep analysis of the game! Just a few words from us - please, do not understand us wrong - we do not want to "defend the game at all cost", just to put a little insight on what is actually planned in the future, as what we have is estimated to be about 60% of the mechanics in the game.

Deployment - it actually creates strategy at the deployment stage and it gives you something other war-games does not - you start actually playing turn one, not getting to each other for 15 minutes (and if you have range units...)

Dice - it wil be changed to custom dices to make it easier / bit less random. Overall we want to end up with the randomness having no more then 20-25% effect on the result.

Tactics - we will have cards up on the Kicsktarter website soon!

Movement - it will carry more deepth with additional terrain that did not been part of prototype. There will be also collectible terrain like bombs (you can take it from the board and then activate it somewhere, just an example)

Overall - there are 2 biggest additions planned that were not send to the reviewers:
Scenario book + map, that will make a whole new level of the game. There you will need to economically manage your resources (that will impact your deployment during the campaign). Also - actions done in the game will have impact over the word and your map will change with every battle - we believe story is very crucial, if we want to create a slash of Board Game / wargame experience.

Darkness - it will actually be AI faction that will bring self-balancing in the campaign as well as might (it is your choice if you want to use it) add a bit more to the actual battles. The fluff behind darkness is that they feed of misery, anger and fear. Basically, whenever there is huge conflict - they will be stronger and we want to put it mechanically as well. So whenever blood is spilled, Darkness rises and makes it additionally harder for everyone.

Again, just wanted to add our thoughts on the future of the game! Also, Michał Oracz will write an update soon explaining all the mechanics in depth himself, so perhaps this will give a bit more insight.

Also - we will try to put a P&P of prototype before the campaign will end.

Thanks for taking a look at our game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arneth Lee
msg tools
Thanks for the answer! It's great to hear from you guys directly.

I wouldn't call it a deep analysis, just a few impressions. Custom dice sounds like an idea with lots of potential, curious to what you guys figured out!

DEFINITLY looking forward to the PnP version, and very curious about the cards!!

I have a few questions concerning the scenario(s):

-Will there be scenario options for 3 or 4 players?
-About how many scenarios are you planning to include (just a rough guess)?
-If the kickstarter continues like this, is there a chance for a second campaign book or similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awaken Realms wrote:

Also - we will try to put a P&P of prototype before the campaign will end.

Why not have these things in place before you create a kickstarter instead of making empty promises. 7 days left of kickstarter and no P&P up yet (as far as I've seen). Not sure many people will have the time to still test it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.