Support:

Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu Wars is one of my favorite games. Glorantha was the RPG setting I grew up on RPGs with. So I was really excited about God's War.

At first I figured I should just get the base game.

Then I said what the heck, if I like it I'm going to want the rest of the stuff, I should get it all.

Then, last weekend, a sad realization hit me. We were at a game con. The first day, I brought Cthulhu Wars. And then had to lug that massive thing around all day without ever being able to get anyone interested in playing it.

I can hardly ever get Cthulhu Wars to the table. I've got everything on the way for it with Onslaught 2, but I've still never played with the same people enough to even get to try the Independent monsters and GOOs that I've already got.

So I feel like, if I get God's War, it is just going to be a big massive drain of shelf space that I'll just stare longingly at and never really get to play. And $450 seems like a lot to spend on something I won't get to use. The base set isn't nearly that expensive...but then I'll wind up missing so much.

I'm totally flustered about this. Someone talk me into/out of what to do here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Cthulhu Wars is one of my favorite games. Glorantha was the RPG setting I grew up on RPGs with. So I was really excited about God's War.

At first I figured I should just get the base game.

Then I said what the heck, if I like it I'm going to want the rest of the stuff, I should get it all.

Then, last weekend, a sad realization hit me. We were at a game con. The first day, I brought Cthulhu Wars. And then had to lug that massive thing around all day without ever being able to get anyone interested in playing it.

I can hardly ever get Cthulhu Wars to the table. I've got everything on the way for it with Onslaught 2, but I've still never played with the same people enough to even get to try the Independent monsters and GOOs that I've already got.

So I feel like, if I get God's War, it is just going to be a big massive drain of shelf space that I'll just stare longingly at and never really get to play. And $450 seems like a lot to spend on something I won't get to use. The base set isn't nearly that expensive...but then I'll wind up missing so much.

I'm totally flustered about this. Someone talk me into/out of what to do here!

If you have trouble finding enough people to play Cthulhu Wars on a consistent basis, then I think you should seriously consider passing on The Gods War. As I see it, based on what you are describing, there are only a few reasons to consider buying it in any event:

1. You love the lore of Glorantha enough that you'd derive enjoyment just by handling the game (as opposed to playing it). Reading the manual, viewing the art, painting the minis, etc.

2. Your life circumstances are likely to change that will make playing this game on a regular basis more often.

3. You have (or will have) the discretionary income and storage space to own the game and not think twice about it.

Otherwise, it makes far more sense to pass. And I say this as a retailer who will be selling the game when it's finally shipped out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sell off all the Cthulhu Wars expansions you never get to the table, then use the proceeds to pay for just the Gods War base game and the Empires expansion ($240). You'll save money, shelf space, and have twice as many games to play. And maybe you'll have more luck getting people to try them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mgabbert wrote:
Sell off all the Cthulhu Wars expansions...

I'm sorry. The rest of your post is discounted on the grounds of this being pure madness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
mgabbert wrote:
Sell off all the Cthulhu Wars expansions...

I'm sorry. The rest of your post is discounted on the grounds of this being pure madness.

Well, if owning is more important than playing, I don't see why you're flustered buying about Gods War then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious solution, Brian, is to move to the east side of the Dallas metroplex, and just play The Gods War with us... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
I reckon you could find more people who want to play. Checked local meetup/Facebook groups?

Cthulhu Wars is easily one of my most played games, and I live in a tiny place (I know several people who also own it, in fact). Hype for Glorantha is pretty high.

I can't imagine there won't be 2-player variants aplenty either (there's already some in fact). Petersen Games are just perfectionists who want to stick true to their original vision, which sadly dis-includes 2 player affairs!

There's also some crossover rules for use of Glorantha Greater Gods/Elder Races/Monsters figoos in Cthulhu Wars, so at worst, you've got more variation in 2 player (Monsters, rawr!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S

Fredericksberg
Virginia
msg tools
Game cons may not be the place to look for fellow gamers for a game that is new or not commonly known. Game cons are infrequent and you probably see different people each time you go. Does your local game shop allow open play, or have you tried Meetup.com? I think with either option you should be able to learn and play new games yourself and introduce other gamers to CW and Gods War. Both games are simple enough to learn after one play but are unique, fun and visually appealing enough to spark interest in further play. If I attend a game con for a day, I might be hesitant to spend half my time at the con trying to learn a game I might not like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Lox
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
There's been some good advice already on trying to find others interested in playing so I will focus on what level I think you might want to invest at.

If there is a chance you will continue to have a hard time retaining a regular group and therefore never get the chance to add monsters, elder races etc. then I recommend you go the middle ground and order the base game plus expansions. This way even if you have people playing for the first time you can still add a ton of variety for yourself with 8 factions to choose from and not feeling guilty with either overcomplicated stuff you try to force onto new players or overcomplicated stuff that sits on a shelf.

This costs $240, nothing will go to waste, and there will likely be a future kickstarter offering like onslaught 2 that will allow you to pick up the monsters, elder races, and buildings if you manage to find a group willing to come back for more often enough to make use of them.

Lastly if you have doubts in your mind $240 is a lot easier to shrug off than $450, and it also sits neatly between the two options you are torn between.

That's my 2 cents since you asked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, I guess by now you already decide whether to back or not. The Kickstarter campaign is over, but there is still a late backer option.

I just wanted to add a reason that wasn't mentioned yet that would justify the game: if you get a lot of enjoyment out of painting miniatures.

Of course the game isn't out yet, but I assume that the quality of the miniatures will be quite high. They also seem to look nice and you get a decent number for the money spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm amazed that you can't get people to play Cthulhu Wars at conventions. Even the small conventions I've attended usually have several pick-up games of CW going on, and anecdotal experience indicates that it is a good game to snag passers-by, once set up with all the greatness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.