Subject: Removing Cubes On Partially Completed Base Technology? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was watching the Game Night play through, and it was mentioned that if you started a Base Technology set, but later realized you wanted to use the other set in that Base Technology, you could move the cubes that you started the original set with to the Unused Cube Area to free up that Base Technology to use the other set.

I looked in the rules but I don't see any mention of this. Is that legal? Or once you start putting down cubes in a set, you are locked into that set until a Reset happens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Must have been a variant because by the rules, as you say, you are locked in until a reset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:
I was watching the Game Night play through, and it was mentioned that if you started a Base Technology set, but later realized you wanted to use the other set in that Base Technology, you could move the cubes that you started the original set with to the Unused Cube Area to free up that Base Technology to use the other set.

I looked in the rules but I don't see any mention of this. Is that legal? Or once you start putting down cubes in a set, you are locked into that set until a Reset happens?

No that is not allowed by the rules, cubes are locked into all slots until you reset. You cannot move them once placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:
...you could move the cubes that you started the original set with to the Unused Cube Area to free up that Base Technology to use the other set.

Not as a normal action, no, you cannot just "move cubes".

Some of the advanced technology cards do, however, allow the removal of a cube when activated, such as Corruption (Age IV). The user could remove a cube of a partially completed technology (base or advanced) allowing the user to place another cube on another level of a base technology, or (as covered in the FAQ), removing a cube from a completed technology and then completing it again to trigger that activation again.

So it is possible through use of advanced technology cards (only one or two), but not possible as a basic action.

Hope that helps! Great game.
~Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OchreOgre wrote:
Brodie17 wrote:
...you could move the cubes that you started the original set with to the Unused Cube Area to free up that Base Technology to use the other set.

Not as a normal action, no, you cannot just "move cubes".

Some of the advanced technology cards do, however, allow the removal of a cube when activated, such as Corruption (Age IV). The user could remove a cube of a partially completed technology (base or advanced) allowing the user to place another cube on another level of a base technology, or (as covered in the FAQ), removing a cube from a completed technology and then completing it again to trigger that activation again.

So it is possible through use of advanced technology cards (only one or two), but not possible as a basic action.

Hope that helps! Great game.
~Steve

Beat me to it, you can only move cubes through technologies and special powers. I have a tutorial video here on BGG that explains the game very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Awesome...thank you all for the quick response. I really appreciate it!

Gonna jump into our first game tonight, and that was the only question I had after going through everything.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to read the FAQ! There's a huge rule change in it, vis-a-vis resetting the cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
jdarnold wrote:
Be sure to read the FAQ! There's a huge rule change in it, vis-a-vis resetting the cubes.

Yes...I definitely took a look at that before we played. Seems like that streamlined the resetting process, so it was a welcome change for us : )

First game was a success! Lots of symbol lookups, but to be expected for a learning game. I expect we'll pick up the pace (and strategy) in our next match.

Great game...really enjoyed it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear! It is such a big deal I always worry when I read that people are playing it for the first time that they will miss it. Fantastic game, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.